Dean G. Yuzek
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in New York, New YorkIngram Yuzek Gainen Carroll & Bertolotti, LLP
Dean G. Yuzek is a partner and co-founder of Ingram Yuzek Gainen Carroll & Bertolotti, LLP, located in New York, New York. The focus of his practice is complex business and commercial litigation in most major industries.
Mr. Yuzek has represented a diverse group of clients, including owners and developers of commercial and residential properties in New York City, lending institutions, Named Executive Officers and Managing Members of corporations and companies, other high-net-worth individuals and their business interests, and partnerships in various professional categories.
Mr. Yuzek earned his Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude from Brandeis University in 1972. He then received his Juris Doctor in 1975 from New York University School of Law. Prior to co-founding Ingram Yuzek Gainen Carroll & Bertolotti, LLP, Mr. Yuzek was a partner in the New York City office of a well-known international law firm. Admitted to practice in New York, he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Northern and Eastern Districts of New York, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 2nd and 3rd Circuits, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
In addition to being rated by Super Lawyers, Mr. Yuzek has been AV* rated since 1990, the highest possible peer review rating.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation
- 100% Business Litigation
First Admitted: 1976, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.ingramllp.com/index.php/attorneys/dean_g_yuzek
- Clients cut across most major industry lines and include owners and developers of commerical and residential properties in New York City, lending institutions, Named Executive Officers and Managing Members of corporations and companies, other high-net-worth individuals and their business interests, and partnerships in various professional categories.
- Represented a former Named Executive Officer of a multi-billion-dollar corporation in a breach of contract action against his former employer in Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York. The facts of this complex case are reported at Steinfeld v. IMS Health Inc., 10-CV-3301 (CS), 2011 WL 11779019.
- Represented the owner of a landmark building as the plaintiff in this precedent-setting case, through a successful jury verdict in New York State Court and subsequent appeals, establishing for the first time in New York the right of an insured, even though adequately covered against compensatory claims, to recover against an insurance company for its bad-faith refusal to settle where the policyholder was unnecessarily (and wrongfully) exposed to the possibility of a punitive damage award. See Ansonia Associates Limited Partnership v. Public Service Mutual Insurance Co., 257 A.D.2d 84, 692 N.Y.S.2d 5 (lst Dept) and 277 A.D.2d 98, 717 N.Y.S.2d 30 (1st Dept), aff’d 96 N.Y.2d 715, 729 N.Y.S.2d 668.
- Represented Level 3 Communications, LLC in securing a Judgment requiring the City of Mount Vernon, its Appointed Assessor and the Mount Vernon City Council to refund over $2.5 million of excessive taxes imposed on Level 3's special franchise property. The Judgment was entered following successful proceedings at the Appellate Division, Second Department, reported at 72 A.D. 3d 164, 895 N.Y.S. 2d 110.
- Represented MBNA, now part of Bank of America, as the defendant in Americasting Inc. v. MBNA America Bank, N.A. (04 civ. 07695), an “all-or-nothing” $27 million contract case, through a successful jury verdict before Judge P. Kevin Castel, in Federal Court (United States District Court for the Southern District of New York), involving a failed “affinity” credit-card program. (No reported decision as verdict was not appealed by plaintiff.)
- Represented a New York Bank wrongly accused of fraud in connection with the sale of mortgage-backed securities. This multi-million dollar claim against the Bank in New York State Court (New York County) was discontinued in the midst of trial, before the conclusion of plaintiff’s direct case, following cross-examination of its key party and non-party witnesses.
- Represented Claimant Pangea Capital Management, LLC which received a 180-page Arbitration Award released by JAMS on January 4, 2016, rendered by Hon. Stephen G. Crane (Ret.), awarding Pangea damages against Respondent John R. Lakian, Pangea's Co-Managing Member, for his "racketeering activities," his "scheme to defraud and pillage" Pangea and his "rampant self-dealing," in the amounts of $11,972,408 for violating the RICO statute, $2,842,500 for fraud, $1,000,000 for punitive damages on fraud claims and $3,310,484 for breach of fiduciary duty, plus interest and all arbitration costs. Mr. Lakian, a sometime "talking head" on Fox Business News, had made unsuccessful bids to run for governor of Massachusetts in 1982 and for the U.S. Senate in 1994, losing the Republican nomination for the Senate to Mitt Romney. Articles about this Award have appeared, among other places, in The Boston Globe and Securitie Law360. By Order of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, dated November 9, 2016, the Arbitration Award was confirmed in its entirety.
- Since 1990, annually received the highest possible peer review rating in legal ability and ethical standards based on the confidential opinions of the Bar and the Judiciary.
- American Bar Association
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York State Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Represented New York State Court Judge in proceedings before the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct.
- Trustee, The Foundation For Gender-Specific Medicine
- B.A., Brandeis University, Magna Cum Laude, 1972
Office location for Dean G. Yuzek
150 E 42nd St
New York, NY 10017
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2007, 2013 - 2023