Derek T. Smith
Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in New York, NY
- Free Consultation
With over $165 million recovered for his clients, attorney Derek T. Smith has the experience and the results to handle the biggest sexual harassment and discrimination cases. Derek Smith has also obtained the single largest upheld emotional distress jury verdict in the entire United States in an employment discrimination case. Derek Smith also secured a settlement in excess of $15,000,000 on behalf of a client. Derek Smith founded his law firm, the Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC, with the goal of helping victims of illegal employment practices and sexual harassment. Thanks to Mr. Smith's dedication to protecting the rights of workers, his employment law firm now has five law offices in New York, Philadelphia, Miami, New Jersey, and Los Angeles, where victims can obtain Mr. Smith's assistance in pursuing justice in cases related to the Sexual Harassment, Employment Discrimination, and Wrongful Termination. The Derek Smith Law Group, PLLC has a team of over 27 lawyers including Former Sex Crimes Prosecutors and graduates of Harvard and Columbia University to fight for you.
Mr. Smith graduated from the University of Michigan and earned his law degree from The Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of law. Derek Smith is admitted to practice law in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
Over the past 25-plus years, Mr. Smith has built a reputation as one of the region's leading employment lawyers. He has a "Superb" 10.0 rating on Avvo, and he has received a Preeminent client-review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell. In addition, Newsweek has listed him among the nation's top attorneys, and the New York Law Journal has recognized him for obtaining one of New York's largest jury verdict awards in employment law history. Derek Smith works on a contingency basis such that there is no fee unless you recover.
A lawyer once told Derek Smith many years ago not to get so emotionally involved in his cases. Well, he thinks the complete opposite is true! It makes him furious when he hears stories of employers discriminating against or sexually harassing his clients! If an employer treats you differently because of your race, religion, age, gender, or disability, Derek says, “How dare they?!” If your boss sexually harasses you or compels you to have a sexual relationship of any kind, I am outraged! We like to become one with our clients. We represent them, and they represent us. We are a team. That is our philosophy. We are personally offended when injustice is done to our clients. So, to that lawyer, who said that many years ago to Derek Smith, Derek says that you are so, very, very wrong! It is that emotional attachment to our cases that helps Derek and his team to better represent clients and get them the most that he can on their case.
Attorney Smith is an active member of the legal community on state and national levels. He holds membership in the National Employment Lawyers Association, the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, and the National Employment Lawyers Association/New York.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished, and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 50%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 50%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
Employment Law - Employee, Unions, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment, Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Retaliation
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2011, 2016 - 2022
About Derek T. Smith
First Admitted: 1995, New York
Professional Webpage: https://discriminationandsexualharassmentlawyers.com/attorne...
- $2.5 Million Jury Award for Bartender Claiming Sexual Harassment
- Secured a Settlement in Excess of $15 Million on behalf of a client.
- Wins $1.6 Million Jury Verdict For Victim of Sexual Orientation Discrimination Against Famous Restaurant - 2012 Verdict
- Wins $2.2 Million Verdict for Discrimination Victim - November, 2015
- Wins $4 Million Verdict for Disability Discrimination Victim Against Country's Largest Hospital - November, 2014
- Top rated attorney by Newsweek
- Judge in the the annual Robert F. Wagner National Labor and Employment Law Moot Court Competition
- Recognized by The New York Law Journal as having obtained one of the highest discrimination jury verdicts in New York Employment Law
- Judge in the Charles W. Froessel Intramural Moot Court Competition
- Top Rated employment attorney by SuperLawyers as one of the top 5% attorneys in employment law in New York City
- One of the top employment & labor law attorney in New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia, with a proven record of Top Employment Law Verdicts in NY
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, B.A., 1991
- Université de Droit, d’Économie, et des Sciences d’Aix-Marseille in Aix-en-Provence, France
- California Bar, 2020
- Florida Bar, 2019
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Member, New York State Trial Lawyers ("NYSTLA")
- New Jersey, 1996
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Pennsylvania, 1996
- Member, National Employment Lawyers Association of New York ("NELA/NY")
- New York, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Middle Districts of Pennsylvania
- Member, National Employment Lawyers Association ("NELA")
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- ADA Claims And Violations
- Age Discrimination
- Compensation Discrimination
- Disability Discrimination
- Employment Discrimination
- Ethnic Discrimination
- Family And Medical Leave Act Claims
- Gender Discrimination
- Hostile Work Environment Attorneys
- National Origin Discrimination
- New York City Sexual Harassment Attorneys
- Overtime Wage & Hour Violations
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Race Discrimination
- Religious Discrimination
- Sexual Abuse
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination
- Wrongful Or Retaliatory Termination
- THE “NEED-TO-KNOW” ON NEW YORK’S NEW SEXUAL HARASSMENT LAWS: In the wake of the #MeToo Movement, New York state and… https://t.co/gn7B39Ab4h
- EEOC Lawsuit Charging United Airlines with Sexual Harassment and Hostile Work Environment: Sexual harassment in the… https://t.co/2MC3bEGsGw
- After being Called Slaves, Haitian Workers Win $2.5 Million Settlement: On July 27, 2018, the SLS South Beach hotel… https://t.co/aeLH4HJvkU
- Is a Hug Considered Sexual Harassment?: The short answer, YES! On June 22, 2018, the United States District Court,… https://t.co/D7sU7IeikF
- Starbucks Serves Up Disability Discrimination: PHILADELPHIA, PA—The world’s favorite… or at least the most popular… https://t.co/HjS3Nq1DOD
Last Updated: 5/15/2022