Douglas R. Hirsch
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in New York, New YorkSadis & Goldberg LLP
Douglas Hirsch is a founding member and co-head of Sadis & Goldberg’s litigation department and has over 30 years of trial and appellate experience. Doug has successfully represented clients in complex securities and business litigation, including class action and derivative cases. Doug advises, litigates and arbitrates primarily for clients in the financial services and real estate industries, and therefore, has extensive experience in the areas of hedge fund, venture capital fund and private equity fund litigation, investment and securities fraud, business and partnership disputes, business divorce and dissolution, corporate governance, cross border insolvency litigation, fraudulent transfer and claw back claims, and real estate litigation.
Doug started his career at Lord Day & Lord, Barrett Smith and then worked at Schulte Roth & Zabel before becoming one of the founding members of Sadis & Goldberg in 1996.
Doug received his J.D. in 1990 from Hofstra University School of law, where he was a member of the law review. He received his B.A. degree in 1987 from Union College. He is a member of the New York bar and has been admitted to the First, Second and D.C. Circuits and the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Some select representative matters that Doug has handled include:
- $25M recovery for a “fund of funds” that was defrauded by a hedge fund manager
- $18.9M recovery on behalf of a group of investors in a CDO fund
- $14.5M recovery for a minority member in a cannabis company. Weisz v. Palliatech Florida LLC, et al., AAA Case No. 01-0004-5355.
- $10.7M recovery for appraisal petitioners. In re Orchard Enterps. Inc. S’holder Litig., 88 A.3d 1 ( Del. Ch. 2014).
- Summary judgment on breach of fiduciary duty and fraudulent transfer claims on behalf of a co-founder of the Bareburger restaurant chain. The summary judgment decision led to a large confidential settlement. Stavroulakis v. Pelakanos et al., February 13, 2018 NY Slip Op 50180[U], 58 Misc.3d 1221(A), 106 N.Y.S.3d 725.
- Trial verdict completely dismissing multi-million dollar shareholder derivative lawsuit. Moyal v. Sleppin et al., Index No. 601973/2007, Trial Dates Oct. 16-20, 2017, J. Bransten.
- Arbitration award completely dismissing multi-million dollar claim by investment advisor’s partner alleging he owned half of the investment advisor entity.
- Complete dismissal of a lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract by a partner in an investment advisory firm against his former partner. Goldberg v. GA Capital Partners LLC, Index No. 652748/2015 (N.Y. Sup. 2015).
- Numerous trial and arbitration verdicts/awards on behalf of clients, including FINRA awards.
- Numerous appellate victories on behalf of clients.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Securities & Corporate Finance, Securities Litigation
- 30% Business Litigation
- 40% Securities & Corporate Finance
- 30% Securities Litigation
First Admitted: 1991
Professional Webpage: http://www.sglawyers.com/attorney/douglas-r-hirsch/
- Hedge Fund Conference Forum, NY Helmsley Hotel, 2004
- Investors are Experiencing “Hotel California” Syndrome, December 2007
- “The SEC’s Approach to the Regulation of Hedge Funds and Private Equity Funds,” Cross-border Handbooks, PLC 2006-2007
- “Which Offshore Advisors Must Register,” April 19, 2005
- Euromoney Compliance Review Handbook
- “Arbitration:Be Careful What You Wish For”
- Cayman Director Liability in the U.S., June 7, 2016
- The SEC Loses Four High-Profile Trials in a Two-Month Span: Circumstances and Lessons, May 14, 2014
- SEC Loses Four More High-Profile Trials Where it Relied on Circumstantial Evidence and Questionable Materiality Arguments to Prove Insider Trading and Fraud, February 10, 2014
- Hedge Fund Litigation Trends, September 2009
- Court Invokes Hedge Fund Anti-Fraud Rule for the First Time, February 2009
- SEC Loses Claims Regarding PIPE Transaction, April 2008
- Hedge Fund Association, Member, 2012
- Hedge Fund Association, Member, 2011
- United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- United States District Courts for the District of New Jersey
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern District of New York
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Top Attorneys in Metro New York, Selected by Peer Recognition and Professional Achievement, New York Times 2015
- New York Metro Super Lawyer, New York Metro Super Lawyer Magazine 2013 – 2018
- Union College, Bachelor of Arts, 1987
- Hofstra University School of Law (J.D.; member of the Hofstra University Law Review), 1990
Office location for Douglas R. Hirsch
551 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10176
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023