Highly regarded, extremely skilled and sought after, Eric Goldberg negotiates real estate and finance deals for prominent clients in high-stakes, high-profile hotel and other commercial real estate development projects in key geographic areas.
Eric is well known for handling some of the most complicated and sophisticated real estate transactions, financings, workouts, restructurings, acquisitions and dispositions of properties in all real estate asset classes.
Relying on his keen business judgment and industry insight, prominent real estate developers, investors and other high-profile clients routinely involve Eric when making critical decisions on investments, financings and development of notable properties and major projects. He assists his clients through every phase and across the full range of issues impacting their real estate businesses and properties, often acting as outside general counsel, as needed.
Eric’s clients include private and boutique investment firms, high-end commercial and residential developers, hotel owners, and family offices. He has advised these clients through sophisticated financial transactions, acquisitions, sales, development and leasing for projects ranging from $5 million to ones exceeding $1.5 billion. He has handled many widely publicized nationwide deals, including:
- The acquisition and refinancing of several Amazon office buildings in Seattle’s high-tech corridor and in Silicon Valley totaling over $1.5 billion
- The sale of the Miracle Mile Shops in Las Vegas
- The purchases of the Citigroup Center Building and The Sheffield in New York City
- The purchase and development of high-end residential condominium projects in New York City
- The ground lease of 130 West 42nd Street in New York City for a foreign-based client and its acquisition of a triple net leased 320,000 square foot office building in Denver, Colorado.
- Bifurcation of a fee and ground lease as contract-vendee of a high-tech triple net leased office building.
He also has represented clients in some of the nation’s most highly publicized hotel and commercial transactions, helping to re-envision Miami’s South Beach landscape, from the refinancing of senior and mezzanine debt for the W South Beach hotel owners to the purchase and sale of the nostalgic iconic Raleigh Hotel, including joint ventures with a global real estate firm.
Eric also regularly assists clients in the acquisition and workout of large loan and asset portfolios, restructuring of real estate debt, including mezzanine financings and preferred equity, and receiverships, foreclosures and bankruptcies. His experience includes assisting clients in purchasing debt, including The Miami Mart and Hotel in Florida, The Ocean Place Resort Development in New Jersey, various loan portfolios in the New York metropolitan area, and the workout and foreclosure of those mortgages.
Eric frequently speaks on real estate-related topics at distinguished conferences across the nation.
First Admitted: 1979, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.olshanlaw.com/attorneys-Eric-Goldberg.html
- Recognized for Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America®
- One of 50 Attorneys Nationally , Connect CRE’s 2020 inaugural Lawyers in Real Estate Award
- Represented a contract vendee of a 317,000 square foot office building in Seattle, Washington, which as vendee, bifurcated the property into a ground lease and fee, selling the fee position and retaining the ground lease with an option to purchase the fee.
- Represented the owner of a 29-story Midtown New York City property in its ground lease to a multifamily developer.
- Represented the owner of a 120-unit Upper East Side New York City property in its ground lease to a multifamily developer.
- Represented the seller of 80-unit New York City multifamily buildings.
- Represented a Turkish developer in a joint venture agreement with a major residential New York City developer and in a construction loan for the redevelopment of a 31-story Upper East Side multifamily building.
- Represented a joint venture in securing a $268 million refinancing for a triple net leased Amazon office building located in Seattle, WA, and transferring the property from the joint venture to two tenants in common.
- Represented Atlas Capital Group in its acquisition of two buildings in Bushwick, Brooklyn located at 54 Noll Street and 123 Melrose Street, known as The Denizen and formerly the site of the Rheingold Brewery, for $506 million.
- Represented TriStar Capital and partner RAL Development in the assemblage of properties for a $200 million Class A office project in the Wynwood neighborhood of Miami.
- Represented client in the sale of 909 Third Avenue for $192.5 million, while simultaneously facilitating the buyer's financing with a new lender.
- Represented a client in its acquisition of 12-story, 317,804 square foot net triple leased Amazon-leased office building in Seattle, WA.
- Represented client Bonjour Capital in securing a $115 million Fannie Mae loan for Bonjour’s property at 1735 York Avenue. Previously represented Bonjour in the acquisition of the building from Glenwood Management and the acquisition financing.
- Represented a client in securing a $220 million CMBS refinancing made by Natixis Real Estate Capital LLC for the Amazon Phase VII building located in Seattle, WA.
- Represented a developer in connection with a construction loan in plans to develop a $31 million hotel and restaurant in Tuckahoe.
- Represented a client in the acquisition of an Amazon.com Inc. office building in Bellevue, WA from Schnitzer West LLC for approximately $310 million.
- Represented a client in the acquisition of a hi-tech office 335,000 square foot complex located in the heart of Silicon Valley for $291 million.
- Represented a client in an acquisition of an Amazon.com Inc. 290,000 square foot triple net leased mixed-used building in Seattle, WA for $270 million.
- Represented a client in the acquisition of a 12-story, 318,700 square foot office building located in Seattle, Washington featuring Amazon’s headquarters for $244 million.
- Represented a client in the sale of Miracle Mile Shops, a 200-store indoor mall within the Planet Hollywood Resort located on the Las Vegas strip, to an investment partnership for approximately $1.1 billion. Olshan initially represented the venture in the purchase of the mall in 2003 and handled the repositioning of the leases in the mall for several years and represented the venture in several refinancings, culminating in the sale.
- Represented W South Beach owners in $140 million refinancing.
- Represented Raleigh Hotel owners in a hotel purchase, management agreement, and later sale of the hotel.
- Represented a seller in achieving the highest price ever for Lincoln Road, Miami Beach retail properties.
- Represented Bonjour Capital in the purchase of 333 Greene Avenue, Brooklyn, New York from two bitterly fighting debtors.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of Citigroup Center in New York City.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of The Sheffield in New York City.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition and development of high-end residential condominium projects in New York City.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Pennsylvania Cutting Horse Association
- B.S., Cornell University, 1974