Gary S. Mayerson
Top Rated Civil Rights Attorney in New York, NY
When Gary S. Mayerson founded Mayerson & Associates, he envisioned a law office that served the needs of America's most vulnerable people. This dedication made it the first civil rights law office in the country to represent persons with developmental disabilities such as autism. Now, he primarily works with parents who need appropriate special needs education placements.
Mr. Mayerson completed his degree in public communications at Syracuse University. He then went on to complete his law degree at the Georgetown University Law Center. In 1980, he became licensed to practice in New York. After 20 years of building up a wealth of experience, he created Mayerson & Associates.
As an advocate for the rights of special needs persons, Mr. Mayerson has a long list of accomplishments under his belt. He has argued cases in federal and state courts that resulted in impressive wins for his clients. One of his proudest moments includes fighting for Anthony Starego, a 19-year-old with autism, to participate in the interscholastic competition for a previously unheard of fifth season. Starego went on to help his team win the State Championship by a landslide.
For Mr. Mayerson, his law office is just one of the many ways he advocates for special needs persons in America. He is an author and co-author of several books about autism, the ABA and special needs education. Organizations and events managers regularly call on him to serve as a speaker. He also serves on the boards of several organizations for children and people with autism, including the Manhattan Children's Center Foundation and JobPath.
About Gary S. Mayerson
First Admitted: 1980
Professional Webpage: https://www.mayerslaw.com/gary-s-mayerson/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Federal Legal Appeals Project, a pro bono initiative at the federal level
- Professional Advisory Board of the New England Center for Children (NECC)
- McCarton Foundation
- Manhattan Childrens Center Foundation
- Doe v. Darien
- V.S. v. NYCDOE
- L.B. v. Nebo School District
- T.M. v. Cornwall
- C.F. v. NYCDOE
- R.E. v. NYCDOE
- T.K. v. NYCDOE
- U.S. Supreme Court, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University
- Huge NYC Special Education Complaint Backlog Targeted by State Officials https://t.co/kdg7YUY7Yq via @THECITYNY
- In N.Y.C., Pressure to Delay In-Person Schooling https://t.co/mIJmEvL7pz
- We’ve seen this movie before. In “Jaws,” Amity’s mayor orders the beaches opened for tourist dollars after a deadly… https://t.co/A99eFFpsUa
- Schools and civil rights groups are at odds over how strictly special education law should be followed right now.… https://t.co/T6gLjzeP1a
Last Updated: 5/15/2022