Top rated Personal Injury attorney in New York, New YorkTabak, Mellusi & Shisha LLP
Jacob Shisha, of Tabak Mellusi & Shisha LLP, is a skilled attorney who devotes his practice to helping people who have been injured at sea. Serving clients in the New York, New York, area for more than 20 years, Mr. Shisha is also admitted to practice in New Jersey and Louisiana.
Mr. Shisha has had a long career in maritime industries. After graduating magna cum laude from State University of New York Maritime College, he went on to work as a deck officer aboard oil tankers. He later returned to school and graduated cum laude from Tulane University Law School in New Orleans, where he focused mainly on admiralty and maritime law. After graduating law school, he was employed by a large maritime law firm in New Orleans, where he represented various shipping companies. He has been a member of the Maritime Law Association since 1991.
In 1988, Mr. Shisha moved to New York City and changed the focus of his practice to exclusively represent plaintiffs in personal injury cases involving injuries at sea, including maritime workers who have been injured on the job and passengers who have been injured in ship accidents. He now handles a variety of types of cases, including fishing boat accidents, passenger and recreational vessel accidents and ferry, barge and tug accidents. Currently, 80 percent of his practice is devoted to litigation, including deckhand injuries, unseaworthiness, maintenance and cure and other types of claims under the Jones Act and the Longshore Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.
Mr. Shisha has extensive jury trial experience and has obtained numerous seven-figure verdicts for clients throughout his career. He has twice been named in the “Best Lawyers in America” list.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Transportation/Maritime
Admiralty & Maritime Law, Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- 30% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 70% Transportation/Maritime
First Admitted: 1983, Louisiana
Professional Webpage: https://www.sealawyers.com/attorney/jacob-shisha/
- United States Coast Guard licensed Deck Officer, Third Mate, Steam or Motor Vessels of any Gross Tons
- President Board Seamen's Houre YMCA Board Member Seafarer’s International House.
- SUNY Maritime College, Fort. Schuyler (BS Mar,Trans/Computer Science)
- State University of New York Maritime, New York., B.S., Bachelor of Science magna cum laude, 1981
- See www.sealawyers.com
- United States Coast Guard Third Mate’s License any Tonnage any Ocean.
- New York, 1989
- Maritime Law Association, 1991 - Present
- New Jersey, 1989
- Louisiana, 1983
- Selecte to Best Lawyers, 2012
Office location for Jacob Shisha
New York, NY 10006
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023