Top rated General Litigation attorney in New York, New YorkThe Catafago Law Firm, P.C.
Practice Areas: General Litigation, Professional Liability, Business Litigation; view more
Licensed in New York since: 1984
Education: New York Law School
Languages Spoken: English, French
The Catafago Law Firm, P.C.One Grand Central Place
New York, NY 10165 Visit website
Jacques Catafago brings a rich academic and professional background to The Catafago Law Firm, which has translated into top-notch legal representation at significant cost savings. His jury verdicts have resulted in an average award of $2 million in punitive damages per case. He has written about punitive damages in contract cases in the New York Law Journal.
Mr. Catafago's academic credentials include top honors and summa cum laude from college and law school, a No. 5 law school class ranking, Law Review editorship, top honors in real estate law and civil rights litigation and Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Catafago is AV-rated, listed in Martindale-Hubbell's Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers and Who's Who in American Law, previously clerked for the Federal Court Pro Se Office, taught legal research and writing, and servedas a state court mediator. He is licensed in NY, NJ, DC and FL.
A sampling of his impressive track record includes Bolar v. Roche—a staple of patent legislation; a 1996 case in which Mr. Catafago obtained the highest punitive damage jury verdict ever in a Section 1983 civil rights case; a three-week trial for Air China resulting in a $3.8 million jury verdict sustained by the Second Circuit; and a case in which he represented Aaron J. Broder—past president of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association—against attorney F. Lee Bailey in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
A number of Mr. Catafago's federal and state court cases have been reported, one by the United States Supreme Court. Other cases have made news in the New York Law Journal, The New York Times, New Jersey Law Journal, Billboard, New York Daily News and New York Post.
Practice areasGeneral Litigation, Professional Liability: Plaintiff, Business Litigation, Civil Litigation: Defense
Legal Malpractice, Litigation
- 50% General Litigation
- 30% Professional Liability: Plaintiff
- 10% Business Litigation
- 10% Civil Litigation: Defense
First Admitted: 1984, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.catafagofini.com
- Cases reported by United States Supreme Court, New York Law Journal, The New York Times, New Jersey Law Journal, Billboard, New York Daily News and New York Post
- Summa cum laude, New York Law School, New York
- Top honors in real estate law and civil rights litigation
- Phi Beta Kappa Fraternity
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Who's Who in American Law
- No. 5 law school class ranking
- Aaron J. Broder, Past president, New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York, 1984
- Federal Court Pro Se Office, clerk and state court mediator
- Who's Who In American Colleges And Universities, Law Review, Research Editor
- NY, NJ, Florida And Washington D.C. Bars
- "Punitive Damages in Breach of Contract Cases", New York Law Journal, 1992
- Bolar v. Roche, 1996
Office location for Jacques Catafago
One Grand Central Place
New York, NY 10165
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023