James J. Hsui
Top Rated Nonprofit Organizations Attorney in New York, NY
James J. Hsui is a New York nonprofit, business and international law attorney.
Prior to founding James Hsui, PLLC, in New York, New York, Mr. Hsui worked as principal legal adviser to a high-ranking diplomat at the United Nations. Drawing on both his formal training and professional experience, Mr. Hsui assists clients in the greater New York City metropolitan area with matters related to nonprofit and 501(c)(3) law, domestic business and corporate law, as well as international nonprofit and business law. He represents both nonprofit and for-profit organizations on issues such as company and nonprofit formation, creation of partnerships, cross-border transactions, extraterritorial regulations, securities and corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and contract law.
Before embarking on a legal career, Mr. Hsui attended the University of Oregon, earning a bachelor's degree in dance. After committing to the legal profession, he enrolled at Brooklyn Law School, earning his Juris Doctor with an emphasis in public international law and international business law. While attending law school, Mr. Hsui served on the executive board and was the executive articles editor for the law school's publication, the Brooklyn Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law. He was also honored by The Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction, receiving a CALI Excellence for the Future Award® in the category of food and drug law, and he also received the International Economic Law Prize from Brooklyn Law School.
Mr. Hsui serves as acting general counsel for a 501(c)(3) public charity advocating for the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. He also serves as Secretary of a working group of high-level diplomats dedicated to addressing issues of common concern between the United Nations and Africa. He is currently an active member of the New York City Bar Association, the Asian American Bar Association of New York, the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association and the Brooklyn Law School Alumni Association. He serves as an arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
You can read more about Mr. Hsui on his bio page. Additionally, you can visit his firm's website to learn about his nonprofit & 501(c)(3) law, business, corporate and commercial law and public and private international law services.
- 50%Nonprofit Organizations
- 10%Intellectual Property
Non-profit & Tax-exempt Organizations, Business Formation and Planning, Limited Liability Companies, Partnership, Sub-chapter S Corporations, Contracts, Business Organizations, Copyrights, Trademarks, Intellectual Property Law
- Rising Stars: 2016 - 2022
About James J. Hsui
First Admitted: 2013, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.jameshsuilaw.com/james-hsui/
- Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), since 2016
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Speaker and moderator on topics related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- International and political affairs support for New York’s diplomatic community. Representative work includes: supporting and participating in bilateral and multilateral diplomatic consultations; providing on the ground support during U.N. meetings; preparing talking points, speeches and briefing notes for high-level dignitaries; drafting and reviewing correspondence to heads of state and government, and senior officials of international organizations.
- Transactional and advisory services related to international organizations. Representative work includes: counsel related to the standards of conduct of the international civil service, and organizational regulations and rules; counsel related to treaty-making, diplomacy, and the formation, institutional structure, and rights and obligations of international organizations; counsel related to the privileges and immunities of international organizations and their staff; and drafting and reviewing treaties, memoranda of understanding, diplomatic notes and letters, and other international instruments.
- Transactional, advisory and representational services in the areas of commercial, nonprofit, and public and private international law. Representative work includes: counsel and representation related to complex business and institutional structures, investment and fundraising, intellectual property, domestic and cross-border transactions, and transactions with international organizations and foreign governments; drafting and review of contracts, agreements, guidelines and other legal and policy documents; and advice on compliance with territorial and extraterritorial U.S. laws.
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Food and Drug Law, 2011
- Executive Articles Editor, Brooklyn Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law, 2011
- International Economic Law Prize, Brooklyn Law School, 2012
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, Brooklyn Law School, 2012
- University of Oregon, Bachelors’ degree in Dance
- Certificate in International Law, Brooklyn Law School, 2012
- Protecting Your Brand through Copyright, 2016
- How to Start a New York 501(c)(3) Nonprofit/NGO, 2017
- Legal Checklist for New Businesses and Startups, 2015
- Why Form an LLC or Incorporate? – Understanding & Protecting the Limited Liability Shield, 2016
- How do I get Copyright Protection?, 2016
- Strengthening Copyright: Registration & Notice, 2016
- How to Form a New York LLC, 2016
- Understanding the Most Favored Nation Clause, 2016
- Charitable Organizations
- Intergovernmental Organizations
- International Relations
- Sustainable Development
- Abt 1 year ago at #NairobiSummit on #ICPD25, delegates gathered to reaffirm & strengthen commitments to respecting… https://t.co/ZC8CtO8V70
- #Cat friends from my 2019 missions to #Niger/#CostaRica/#Kenya. #HappyInternationalCatDay! #lawyer #lawyerlife… https://t.co/TXAbyItNHQ
- 4th day in #Niamey #Niger @ 33rd #AU Conference of Heads of State & Government. On Friday, met w Hon Mr Almoustapha… https://t.co/k4OqDL9Rcy
- We were glad to discuss some of the common mistakes made by nonprofit founders in this article by @BestCompanyUSA. https://t.co/QrSDzTeDOi
- The UN #SDGs are a global blueprint for creating a more peaceful, sustainable & equitable world. When you exercise… https://t.co/u33ek8EGI2
Last Updated: 5/16/2022