Leading matrimonial attorney Margaret M. Donohoe is a co-founder and partner at Donohoe Talbert LLP, a New York City law firm. Her outstanding legal abilities and high-profile cases have made her one of the most-recognized family law attorneys in the New York City metropolitan area. Over the past 20 years, she has represented some of New York's most prominent residents in their high-net-worth divorces, including former First Lady of the City of New York Donna Hanover in her divorce from former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.
Ms. Donohoe began practicing law in 1997 after earning her bachelor's degree from Yale University and her Juris Doctor from Yale Law School, making her one of the few divorce attorneys with an Ivy League education practicing law in New York City.
In addition to representing Ms. Hanover in her divorce case, Ms. Donohoe also represented Guy Wyser-Pratte, an investment manager and shareholder activist, in his 2009 divorce. This particular case is noteworthy as it signaled a shift in the appellate court's opinion toward equitable division in divorces after long-term marriages.
The highlights in attorney Donohoe's career do not stop with these two cases. She has also had enviable success in other areas of family law, including child custody, child support and two major cases involving child relocation. In both cases, she was able to obtain her clients' desired outcomes, which were, in one case, that her client's children's mother was forbidden from moving out of state with the children, and, in the other case, that her client was allowed to relocate abroad with his children.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Marital Property, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1997, New York
Professional Webpage: http://donohoetalbert.com/margaretdonohoe/
- Anonymous v. Anonymous, 286 A.D.2d 656, 734 N.Y.S.2d 115 (1st Dep't 2001)
- Wyser-Pratte v. Wyser-Pratte, 68 A.D.3d 624, 892 N.Y.S.2d 334 (1st Dep't 2009)
- Julien v. Julien, 78 A.D.3d 584, 912 N.Y.S.2d 42 (1st Dep't 2010)
- Presented case at trial on valuation and distribution of a multi-million dollar collection of artworks and antiques, resulting in a favorable mid-trial settlement
- Lecturer, Family Law , New York State Bar Association
- Lecturer, Family Law, New York City Bar Association
- Recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as one of the Top Family Law Attorneys in New York
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, B.A. in English, magna cum laude, 1992
- New York, 1997
- U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 1997
- Chairperson, Barrister’s Union, Yale Law School
Office location for Margaret M. Donohoe
120 West 45th Street
New York, NY 10036
- Super Lawyers: 2007, 2010 - 2011, 2013 - 2023