Meagan M. Reda
Top rated Mergers & Acquisitions attorney in New York, New YorkOlshan Frome Wolosky LLP
Practice Areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Business & Corporate
Licensed in New York since: 2012
Education: Fordham University School of Law
Sought after for her skill and creativity, Meagan Reda works strategically and tirelessly to give her clients every possible advantage in their campaigns. She represents some of the most prolific investors in all aspects of their activist investments.
Meagan provides comprehensive counsel to hedge funds and other investors on all matters concerning shareholder activism and their investments, including corporate governance, investor engagements, proxy contests, withhold and letter-writing campaigns, consent and exempt solicitations, settlement negotiations, hostile takeovers, and other activist-related M&A activities. She conducts pre- and post-investment governance research and analysis, prepares nomination and shareholder proposal notices, required SEC filings such as Schedule 13Ds, and related campaign materials, and handles behind-the-scenes engagement and negotiations with company boards, management and their advisers through campaign completion and post-campaign integration. She also advises directors in boardroom disputes at both private and public companies.
Skilled at identifying opportunities for, and vulnerabilities to, effectuating change at corporations (both domestic and worldwide), Meagan excels at developing a roadmap tailored to achieve her clients’ specific goals and optimize results in contested proxy solicitation and negotiated resolutions. She has achieved winning results for some of the most notable activist investors in high-profile contentious situations. She represented Starboard Value at Papa John’s, eHealth, and Yahoo! and in Starboard Value’s historic victory securing all 12 board seats at Darden Restaurants. Meagan has an impressive track record representing clients in precedent-setting proxy campaigns including H. Partners in its seminal withhold campaign at Tempur Sealy and Land & Buildings’ victory in the first proxy contest to go to a vote under the SEC’s universal proxy card regime.
Dedicated, responsive, knowledgeable, and practical, Meagan goes above and beyond expectations to position her clients for success. Having worked on hundreds of activist campaigns, she knows the legal landscape, strategic considerations, and how best to achieve success. Meagan’s professionalism and diplomacy have helped her navigate particularly difficult situations and achieve resolutions that reflect her clients’ goals.
Meagan has been recognized as an “Up and Coming” lawyer by Chambers USA, a “Recommended Lawyer” and a “Key Lawyer” in The Legal 500 United States guide for M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Shareholder Activism - Advice to Shareholders, and as a “Next Generation Lawyer.”
First Admitted: 2012, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.olshanlaw.com/attorneys-Meagan-Reda.html
- Represented Starboard Value in its successful and historic 2014 proxy contest at Darden Restaurants for all 12 board seats, representing a precedent-setting clean sweep of the boardroom at a contested annual meeting.
- Represented Land & Buildings in the first contested proxy contest under the SEC’s new rules regarding universal proxy card voting, securing a seminal victory for one seat on the board of Apartment Investment & Management Co. at its 2022 annual meeting.
- Negotiated an eleventh hour settlement agreement for client Outerbridge Capital Management with respect to its 2021 proxy contest at Comtech Telecommunications, securing two board seats just one day before the annual meeting was to be held.
- B.A., summa cum laude, Northeastern University, 2008
- Steve Wolosky contributed an article entitled “The Role of Activist Funds: Lessons Learned From Darden” for the recent edition of UCLA’s 2015 Private Fund Report: The Role of Activist Funds published by the Lowell Milken Institute for Business and Law Policy. The article details the 2014 ground-breaking proxy battle successfully waged by client Starboard Value to replace the entire board of directors of Darden Restaurants, Inc. The report can be read in its entirety here. Meagan Reda assisted on the drafting of the article., Co-Author, The Role of Activist Funds: Lessons Learned From Darden, 2015 Private Fund Report: The Role of Activist Funds - Lowell Milken Institute for Business and Law Policy UCLA Law School, 2015
- American Bar Association, 2018
- Promoted to partner effective January 1, 2019., 2019
- , Up and Coming lawyer in Shareholder Activism, Chambers USA, 2023
- , Key Lawyer in M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Shareholder Activism - advice to shareholders, The Legal 500 U.S. , 2022
- , Next Generation Lawyer in M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Shareholder Activism - advice to shareholders , The Legal 500 U.S. , 2023
- Recognized in 2020 and 2021, Recommended Lawyer in M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Shareholder Activism - advice to shareholders , The Legal 500 U.S. , 2021
- Rising Stars: 2019 - 2022