Michael D. Stutman
Top rated family law attorney in New York, New YorkStutman Stutman & Lichtenstein, LLP
Michael D. Stutman is the founding partner of the Stutman Stutman & Lichtenstein, LLP, in New York, New York. Focusing his practice on family law matters, including divorce, child custody, orders of protection, child support, paternity and more, he provides sound and dedicated counsel to his clients who are going through a difficult time.
With over 37 years of experience practicing law, Mr. Stutman has a reputation for his excellent problem-solving skills and his thorough knowledge and expertise in the family law arena. He is a compassionate yet aggressive attorney who fights zealously for his clients’ rights. With an unwavering commitment to his clients’ needs, he provides tailored and customized strategies based on each client’s unique case.
With a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from Knox College, Mr. Stutman obtained his Juris Doctor from The University of Tulsa College of Law. Having written extensively about various family law topics, he co-authored a book called “How to Divorce in New York?” – helping people who are unfamiliar with the law understand the divorce process, find relevant counsel and make use of alternative dispute resolutions to resolve cases in a less contentious manner.
Actively affiliated with the legal community, Mr. Stutman is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York’s Matrimonial Law Committee, the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers’ Assisted Reproduction Technology Committee, and the New York State Bar Association’s Family Law Section and Trust & Estate Law Section.
Honored for his remarkable contributions in the family law field, Mr. Stutman has been named to the list of Best Lawyers by The Best Lawyers in America and has a perfect score of 10.0 out of 10 on Avvo. He has an AV Preeminent* peer review rating by Martindale Hubbell. For his commitment to giving back to society, he was the recipient of the Commitment to Justice Award for his pro bono work for domestic violence victims.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Marital property
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 1985, New York
Professional Webpage: http://sslllp.com/our-attorneys
- Recipient-- in Motion Commitment to Justice Award; Mentor-- in Motion
- Selected to be included in Best Lawyers in America, 2008 and 2009, Best Lawyers in America
- Commitment to Justice Award for pro bono activities in connection with victims of domestic violence, In Motion
- The court found that information recovered from a personal computer, allegedly belonging to another party in litigation, was admissible., 2008
- Presentation concerns recent legislation concerning Temporary Support Guidelines, Interim Counsel Fee awards, interpretation of Automatic Restraining Orders and impact of No-Fault Divorce., Speaker, NYSBA Trust And Estates Section, 2011
- Presented the topic at continuing legal education events throughout the State of New York in October 2019, speaker, Where Matrimonial Law meets Trust and Estate law, NYSBA Intermediate Estate Planning Institute, Trust And Estate Counsel, 2019
- Presentation to this combined conference of CPA's and American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Fellows on the need to assess and evaluate the impact of possible third party claims to assets in a marital estate (including but not limited to SEC Forfeiture Actions, potential malpractice claims against professionals, IRS tax claims, environmental liabilities), Speaker, AICPA/AAML--Divorce 2012 Symposium, 2012
- Co-Author, with Grier H. Raggio, Esq., the book How to Divorce in New York, written to assist non-lawyers with understanding the nature of the divorce process, the issues involved, alternative resolution mechanisms, and ways to select appropriate counsel, How to Divorce in New York
- Discussed the use of irrevocable life insurance trusts in marital settlement agreements, co-author, Use of Insurance Trusts in Matrimonial Matters, Family Law Quarterly, New York State Bar Association
- Delivered a lecture on the usual and unusual uses of discovery devices in matrimonial litigation in New York., speaker, Discovery Devices in Matrimonial Litigation, City Bar Association, 2009
- Chair of three hour CLE program exploring the interrelationships and synergies between the practice of Trust and Estates law and Matrimonial Law., Chair/Speaker, Cross-Pollination: What Trust and Estates Lawyers Need to Know about Matrimonial Law and Vice/Versa, City Bar Association, 2009
- Member Executive Committees of both the NYSBA Family Law Section and the NYSBA Trust and Estate Section, 2019
- Liason to the the City Bar Trust Estate and Surrogates Court Committee from the Matrimonial Law Committee, 2019
- Member--City Bar Matrimonial Law Committee, 2005
- Member City Bar Matrimonial Law Committee, 2019
- Member, City Bar Committee on Trusts, Estates and Surrogates Court, 2008
- President, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers New York Chapter along with being on the Board of Governors of the National Academy, 2012
- Member, Matrimonial Law Committee, City Bar, 2007
- Member, Matrimonial Law Committee, City Bar, 2006
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers--continuously since 1998
- American Academy Of Matrimonial Lawyers
Office location for Michael D. Stutman
655 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10017
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022