Michael S. Hiller
Top rated land use & zoning attorney in New York, New YorkHiller, PC
As the managing principal and founder of Hiller, PC, Michael believes that the law should be used as an instrument for the betterment of society and to achieve social justice. He focuses his practice on impact litigation, business and commercial law and litigation, land-use litigation, zoning litigation, preservation law and litigation, environmental law and litigation, insurance litigation, stopping bad-faith denials of insurance benefits, construction litigation and cannabis litigation.
After earning a Bachelor's of Arts in history and graduating with distinction and high honors from Union College, Michael went on to attend American University, Washington College of Law, where he was a member of the National Moot Court Team. He received his Juris Doctor in 1991, graduating cum laude.
Over the course of his career, Michael has built a reputation on aggressively fighting for his clients' rights in claims against local and state governments, as well as multinational corporations and other large institutions. He has been recognized as a SuperLawyer every year since 2010; was designated a Life Member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum (2010) -- a distinction conferred on less than 1% of lawyers in the United States; received the Grass Roots Preservation Award from the Historic Districts Council (2017); received the International Hope Award by the Cannabis Business Association; (2018) was named Cannabis Advocate of the year (2018); and was named one of the top 30 cannabis litigators in the United States by MG Magazine (2018). Michael's law firm, Hiller, PC, was named by the Green Market Report in 2020 as one of the top 11 cannabis law firms in the U.S. to watch. In 2021, Michael was one of three finalists for Lawyer of the Year in the State of New York.
Michael is admitted to the United States Supreme Court, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York and the United States Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit. In addition to his work in the courtroom, Michael is a mediator for the Commercial Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York. He also taught constitutional law at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice as an adjunct Professor of Law from 2005 to 2013.
Practice areasLand use/zoning, Business litigation, Cannabis law, Business/corporate, Constitutional law, Insurance coverage
Non-compete agreements, Business formation and planning, Limited liability companies, Partnership, Contracts, Business organizations, Insurance, Bad faith insurance
- 30% Land use/zoning
- 20% Business litigation
- 20% Cannabis law
- 10% Business/corporate
- 10% Constitutional law
- 10% Insurance coverage
First Admitted: 1992, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.hillerpc.com/our-team/michael-s-hiller/
- "ERISA: An Introduction to Human Resources and the Law"
- Guest Lecturer, New York University, Stern School of Business, 2003
- July/August 2002, "Aggrieved Disability Policyholders in New York are not Limited to Past Benefits as Remedy," 74 NYSBA J. 6 at 32
- September 19, 2001, "Acts of War Exclusions Do Not Apply in Tragedy," 226 N.Y.L.J. 56 at p.1, col. 1
- Author of Book Review for the New York Law Journal, Author, Quest for Justice: Defending the Damned (A Review), New York Law Journal, 1
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America Feb. 2002
- June 4, 1999, "Application of the Statute of Limitations for Rent Overcharge Claims under the Loft Law," 221 N.Y.L.J. 106 at p. 1, col. 1
- "The Aftermath of Wurm v. Commercial Insurance"
- Union College, Schenectady, NY USA, B.A. History with High Honors and Distinction, Dean's List, Delphic Honor Society
- Wurm v. Commercial Insurance, et al. (N.Y. Sup. Ct.) $4,022,550 Index No.: 602270/96 (Disability Insurance Verdict)
- $850,000 settlement on behalf of a disabled policyholder in a RICO action
- $1,190,000 settlement from Lloyds of London in the matter styled Green v. Combined Life Ins.
- Selected to serve as a Standing Mediator for the New York State Supreme Court, Commercial Division, 2005
- Selected to serve as a Standing Arbitrator for the New York City Civil Court, Kings County, 2010
- Named as Adjunct Professor of Law, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 2005
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2010
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1993
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2010
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1999
- New York, 1992
- New Jersey, 1999
- Mr. Hiller was selected to be a Lifetime Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an exclusive organization whose membership consists of attorneys who have obtained verdicts and/or settlements in excess of $2 Million., 2010
- Received the National Hope Award for work in support of victims who have been disproportionately and unconstitutionally affected by the CSA., Hope Award, Cannabis Business Association , 2018
- Designated one of the Top 30 Cannabis Lawyers in the United States, Top 30 Cannabis Litigators in the United States, MG Magazine, 2018
- Named Advocate of the Year for having prosecuted claims against the Justice Department for violations of the Constitution., Advocate of the Year, Canna Gather (NY), 2018
- Juris Doctor Degree, cum laude , American University, Washington College of Law, 1991
- Managing Member, 2012
- Named to the National Moot Court Team, National Moot Court Team, American University, Washington College of Law, 1989
- Designated a SuperLawyer every year since 2010, Named a SuperLawyer - New York Metro, 2010
- Received Grassroots Preservation Award for having successfully defended and preserved multiple historic properties throughout New York City., Grassroots Preservation Award , Historic District Council, 2017
Office location for Michael S. Hiller
641 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10022
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2022