Nicholas A. Gravante, Jr.
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in New York, New YorkCadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, White Collar Crimes, Antitrust Litigation; view more
Licensed in New York since: 1986
Education: Columbia Law School
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP200 Liberty Street
New York, NY 10281 Visit website
Nicholas A. Gravante Jr. is a partner at the law firm Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP located in New York, New York. Licensed to practice in New York since 1986, he takes on cases involving corporate and financial litigation and regulation, global litigation, insurance and reinsurance, white collar matters and antitrust litigation.
Well known for his extensive experience dealing with business crimes, complex commercial litigation and disputes, Mr. Gravante has worked on high-profile cases and successfully helped his clients to navigate through legal disputes. He has a long list of having obtained favorable verdicts for his clients.
Mr. Gravante is a zealous and aggressive advocate for the rights of his clients. With an unwavering commitment to his clients’ interests and needs, he handles all cases in an efficient and economical manner. With memberships in the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and the New York Council of Defense Lawyers, he enjoys being active in the legal field.
Graduating magna cum laude, Mr. Gravante has a bachelor’s degree in political science and psychology from Duke University. He went on to study law at the Columbia Law School and earned his Juris Doctor. While in law school, he was a writing and research editor of the Journal of Law and Social Problems.
Mr. Gravante was selected to be on the New York Continuing Legal Education Board, the Second Department Judicial Screening Committee and the Departmental Disciplinary Committee. He is a board member of the Poly Prep Country Day School and the Community Service Society of New York.
Mr. Gravante was also a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He has received many accolades and awards for his exceptional legal work, including being named to the list of 500 Leading Lawyers in America and 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers in America by Lawdragon. Also, Law360 named him a Product Liability MVP.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Antitrust Litigation
Antitrust & Trade Litigation, White Collar Crime
- 50% Business Litigation
- 30% Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 20% Antitrust Litigation
First Admitted: 1986, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.cadwalader.com/professionals/nicholas-gravante
- Writing and Research Editor for the Journal of Law and Social Problems
- New York Continuing Legal Education Board
- Trustee for the Central Park Conservancy
- Board Chair of Brooklyn Public Library
- Board Chair of the Community Service Society of New York
- Board Chair of Poly Prep Country Day School
- Departmental Disciplinary Committee by the First Department
- Second Department Judicial Screening Committee
- Duke University, B.S., magna cum laude
- Nick Gravante is featured in an AmLaw Litigation Daily article, “‘Build, Build, Build’: What Other Firms Can Take Away from Cadwalader’s Rapid Integration of Nick Gravante and His Team”: https://www.cadwalader.com/uploads/media/AMLAW09032021502295CADWALADER_Without_Logo.pdf, 2021
- Nick is quoted in this article in the Wall St. Journal about his representation of Allen Weisselberg:https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-organization-tax-fraud-trial-set-to-begin-in-new-york-11666480661?page=1, 2022
- Nick is featured in a NY Times article about his representation of Allen Weisselberg: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/nyregion/weisselberg-trump-guilty-plea.html, 2022
- Nick Gravante is interviewed in a Financial Times article, “The Trump investigation lawyer who served a valuable apprenticeship”: https://www.ft.com/content/2d757570-339c-4226-8e94-8de044cc52e4, 2021
- Nick Gravante's community endeavors include as Board member of Poly Prep Country Day School; Board Chair of the Community Service Society of New York; and Trustee for the Central Park Conservancy., 2021
- A Cadwalader team co-led by Nick Gravante scored a victory for client AngioDynamics, Inc. when the Honorable Brenda K. Sannes of the Northern District of New York ordered that AngioDynamics’ claim against C.R. Bard, Inc. and Bard Access Systems, Inc. (“Bard”) should move to a jury trial where AngioDynamics is seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in monetary damages and injunctive relief. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/antitrust-litigation-team-achieves-victory-for-angiodynamics, 2021
- Nick Gravante co-led the Cadwalader team in this representation: A Cadwalader Litigation and Corporate team advised Ashford Hospitality Trust (the “Company”) on its successful defense against an activist campaign by Cygnus Capital, Inc. and related litigation that resulted in the withdrawal by Cygnus of all of its director nominations for election at Ashford Trust’s 2021 Annual Meeting of Stockholders. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-advises-ashford-hospitality-trust-in-successful-defense-against-cygnus-capital, 2021
- Nick Gravante co-led the team in this representation: On March 16, 2021, the New York State Appellate Division for the First Department ruled in favor of Cadwalader client Starr Russia Investments III B.V. (Starr), substantially affirming the trial court’s decision granting Starr’s motion to compel defendant Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (DTTL) and its entities in the UK and in Russia to produce documents, including policies manuals, practice reviews, and organizational charts, relating to DTTL’s role in, among other things, creating documents that induced Starr’s investment in the Investment Trade Bank (ITB), a Russian joint stock company. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/starr-russia-investments-wins-ny-appellate-division-ruling-against-deloitte-touche-tohmatsu-limited-and-its-entities, 2021
- Representation of former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg against indictment in highly publicized Trump Organization criminal case pending in New York Supreme Court, including negotiation of universally recognized unique plea agreement for Client. , 2022
- Nick is on the Cadwalader team representing McDonald’s in an antitrust lawsuit against a group of pork suppliers, claiming that the pig farmers conspired to raise and maintain high pork prices., 2022
- Nick is on the Cadwalader team representing Rumble, Inc. as plaintiff in an ongoing antitrust litigation alleging that Google monopolized the market for online video sharing and viewing services by unlawfully giving preference to Google’s YouTube video platform over Rumble (and other video platforms) in Google search results., 2022
- Member of the Cadwalader team that has been retained by the bankruptcy trustee for Unlocked in a major antitrust case against Google pending in the Northern District of California., 2021
- Member of the Cadwalader team representing companies including McDonalds, Costco, BJ’s Wholesale Clubs, Darden Restaurants, Papa Johns and Wendy’s in cases involving the price fixing of broiler chicken; and representing companies including Kraft Heinz, BJ’s Wholesale Clubs, Restaurant Depot and others in cases involving the price fixing of pork., 2021
- Nick Gravante is renowned for his work on behalf of clients, handling high-profile cases and highly sensitive, confidential matters resolved behind the scenes. He has negotiated non-prosecution agreements for publicly traded companies and won exoneration of numerous individuals, non-profit entities, Fortune 500 companies and a major national university in federal and state grand jury and regulatory investigations. He currently serves as counsel to the Starr Companies, to The Related Companies, and to several hedge funds and private equity firms., 2021
- Nick was named among the “Litigation Stars” in the 2023 U.S. edition of Benchmark Litigation, a recognition program featuring the world's leading litigation law firms and lawyers. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-partners-named-to-benchmark-litigation-2023, Named to Benchmark Litigation 2023, Benchmark Litigation , 2022
- Nick was recommended in the category of: Antitrust: Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Plaintiff. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-recognized-among-leading-law-firms-in-the-legal-500-united-states-2022, Recommended Lawyer in The Legal 500 United States 2022, The Legal 500, 2022
- Nick was named to Lawdragon’s 2022 “500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers” list, which honors the top lawyers principally representing plaintiffs in antitrust, whistleblower, securities fraud, business torts and disputes and data privacy claims., Selected Among the 2022 Lawdragon ‘500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers’, Lawdragon, 2022
- Nick was recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the category of: Criminal Defense: White-Collar., Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2023, Best Lawyers, 2023
- Nick was named to the inaugural “Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America” guide, which recognizes those attorneys who “excel representing principally corporations and other organizations in litigating claims., Named to Inaugural ‘Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America’ Guide, Lawdragon, 2022
- Cadwalader earned National Tier 1 ranking in Commercial Litigation in the 2022 edition of U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.” https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-ranked-among-top-national-firms-in-2022-us-news--best-lawyers-best-law-firms-publication, U.S. News – Best Lawyers Practice Group Recognition, U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms, 2021
- Product Liability MVP, Law360, 2015
- Top Business Litigation Attorney, Super Lawyers, 2006
- Nick was selected for inclusion in the 2021 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America in the "Litigation" practice area, 2021 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2021
- Recognized as a top trial lawyer by Benchmark Litigation: https://benchmarklitigation.com/Lawyer/Nicholas-Gravante/Profile/85861#profile, Benchmark Litigation Top Trial Lawyer, Benchmark Litigation, 2021
- Nick Gravante was featured among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers in America for 2021. https://www.lawdragon.com/guides/2021-08-18-the-2021-lawdragon-500-leading-plaintiff-financial-lawyers, Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers, Lawdragon, 2021
- Nick has been recognized among the Best Lawyers in America since 2011: https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-recognized-in-the-best-lawyers-in-america-2022, Best Lawyers Recognition, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
Office location for Nicholas A. Gravante, Jr.
200 Liberty Street
New York, NY 10281
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023