Nicholas A. Gravante, Jr.
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in New York, NY
Nicholas A. Gravante Jr. is a partner at the law firm Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP located in New York, New York. Licensed to practice in New York since 1986, he takes on cases involving corporate and financial litigation and regulation, global litigation, insurance and reinsurance, white collar matters and antitrust litigation.
Well known for his extensive experience dealing with business crimes, complex commercial litigation and disputes, Mr. Gravante has worked on high-profile cases and successfully helped his clients to navigate through legal disputes. He has a long list of having obtained favorable verdicts for his clients.
Mr. Gravante is a zealous and aggressive advocate for the rights of his clients. With an unwavering commitment to his clients’ interests and needs, he handles all cases in an efficient and economical manner. With memberships in the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and the New York Council of Defense Lawyers, he enjoys being active in the legal field.
Graduating magna cum laude, Mr. Gravante has a bachelor’s degree in political science and psychology from Duke University. He went on to study law at the Columbia Law School and earned his Juris Doctor. While in law school, he was a writing and research editor of the Journal of Law and Social Problems.
Mr. Gravante was selected to be on the New York Continuing Legal Education Board, the Second Department Judicial Screening Committee and the Departmental Disciplinary Committee. He is a board member of the Poly Prep Country Day School and the Community Service Society of New York.
Mr. Gravante was also a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He has received many accolades and awards for his exceptional legal work, including being named to the list of 500 Leading Lawyers in America and 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers in America by Lawdragon. Also, Law360 named him a Product Liability MVP.
- 50%Business Litigation
- 30%Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 20%Antitrust Litigation
White Collar Crime, Antitrust & Trade Litigation
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022
About Nicholas A. Gravante, Jr.
First Admitted: 1986, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.cadwalader.com/professionals/nicholas-gravante
- Writing and Research Editor for the Journal of Law and Social Problems
- New York Continuing Legal Education Board
- Trustee for the Central Park Conservancy
- Board Chair of Brooklyn Public Library
- Board Chair of the Community Service Society of New York
- Board Chair of Poly Prep Country Day School
- Departmental Disciplinary Committee by the First Department
- Second Department Judicial Screening Committee
- Duke University, B.S., magna cum laude
- Cadwalader earned National Tier 1 ranking in Commercial Litigation in the 2022 edition of U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.” https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-ranked-among-top-national-firms-in-2022-us-news--best-lawyers-best-law-firms-publication, U.S. News – Best Lawyers Practice Group Recognition, U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms, 2021
- Product Liability MVP, Law360, 2015
- Top Business Litigation Attorney, Super Lawyers, 2006
- Nick was selected for inclusion in the 2021 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America in the "Litigation" practice area, 2021 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon, 2021
- Recognized as a top trial lawyer by Benchmark Litigation: https://benchmarklitigation.com/Lawyer/Nicholas-Gravante/Profile/85861#profile, Benchmark Litigation Top Trial Lawyer, Benchmark Litigation, 2021
- Nick Gravante was featured among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers in America for 2021. https://www.lawdragon.com/guides/2021-08-18-the-2021-lawdragon-500-leading-plaintiff-financial-lawyers, Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers, Lawdragon, 2021
- Nick has been recognized among the Best Lawyers in America since 2011: https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-recognized-in-the-best-lawyers-in-america-2022, Best Lawyers Recognition, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- Member of the Cadwalader team that has been retained by the bankruptcy trustee for Unlocked in a major antitrust case against Google pending in the Northern District of California., 2021
- Member of the Cadwalader team representing companies including McDonalds, Costco, BJ’s Wholesale Clubs, Darden Restaurants, Papa Johns and Wendy’s in cases involving the price fixing of broiler chicken; and representing companies including Kraft Heinz, BJ’s Wholesale Clubs, Restaurant Depot and others in cases involving the price fixing of pork., 2021
- Nick Gravante is renowned for his work on behalf of clients, handling high-profile cases and highly sensitive, confidential matters resolved behind the scenes. He has negotiated non-prosecution agreements for publicly traded companies and won exoneration of numerous individuals, non-profit entities, Fortune 500 companies and a major national university in federal and state grand jury and regulatory investigations. He currently serves as counsel to the Starr Companies, to The Related Companies, and to several hedge funds and private equity firms., 2021
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Nick Gravante is featured in an AmLaw Litigation Daily article, “‘Build, Build, Build’: What Other Firms Can Take Away from Cadwalader’s Rapid Integration of Nick Gravante and His Team”: https://www.cadwalader.com/uploads/media/AMLAW09032021502295CADWALADER_Without_Logo.pdf, 2021
- Nick Gravante is interviewed in a Financial Times article, “The Trump investigation lawyer who served a valuable apprenticeship”: https://www.ft.com/content/2d757570-339c-4226-8e94-8de044cc52e4, 2021
Pro bono/Community Service
- Nick Gravante's community endeavors include as Board member of Poly Prep Country Day School; Board Chair of the Community Service Society of New York; and Trustee for the Central Park Conservancy., 2021
- A Cadwalader team co-led by Nick Gravante scored a victory for client AngioDynamics, Inc. when the Honorable Brenda K. Sannes of the Northern District of New York ordered that AngioDynamics’ claim against C.R. Bard, Inc. and Bard Access Systems, Inc. (“Bard”) should move to a jury trial where AngioDynamics is seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in monetary damages and injunctive relief. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/antitrust-litigation-team-achieves-victory-for-angiodynamics, 2021
- Nick Gravante co-led the Cadwalader team in this representation: A Cadwalader Litigation and Corporate team advised Ashford Hospitality Trust (the “Company”) on its successful defense against an activist campaign by Cygnus Capital, Inc. and related litigation that resulted in the withdrawal by Cygnus of all of its director nominations for election at Ashford Trust’s 2021 Annual Meeting of Stockholders. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/cadwalader-advises-ashford-hospitality-trust-in-successful-defense-against-cygnus-capital, 2021
- Nick Gravante co-led the team in this representation: On March 16, 2021, the New York State Appellate Division for the First Department ruled in favor of Cadwalader client Starr Russia Investments III B.V. (Starr), substantially affirming the trial court’s decision granting Starr’s motion to compel defendant Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (DTTL) and its entities in the UK and in Russia to produce documents, including policies manuals, practice reviews, and organizational charts, relating to DTTL’s role in, among other things, creating documents that induced Starr’s investment in the Investment Trade Bank (ITB), a Russian joint stock company. https://www.cadwalader.com/news/news-release/starr-russia-investments-wins-ny-appellate-division-ruling-against-deloitte-touche-tohmatsu-limited-and-its-entities, 2021
Last Updated: 5/23/2022