Richard L. Claman
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in New York, NY
Attorney Richard L. Claman is a partner with Stempel Bennett Claman & Hochberg, P.C., law firm in New York, New York, and leads the firm's litigation department. A top-rated and award-winning trial attorney with nearly 40 years of legal experience, Mr. Claman provides invaluable counsel and support to clients throughout the greater New York City metro and surrounding areas who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Commercial real estate litigation
· Property owner, landlord and developer representation for issues such as purchase and sales of property, leasing and tenant matters, zoning and land use issues, and more
· General commercial litigation
A leader in his field, Mr. Claman has written extensively on a variety of topics related to real estate law, and he authored a 14-part series for Real Estate Weekly involving the courts' application or failure thereof to the provisions of the REBNY form commercial lease. He has also conducted numerous lectures and continuing legal education seminars across his region on various subjects related to commercial real estate law.
Along with maintaining a successful trial practice, Mr. Claman has effectively handled numerous appeals, and he routinely serves as mediator in complex legal disputes before the New York County Supreme Court's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program of the Commercial Division. He also regularly practices before the U.S. District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Claman is an active member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York as well as other local, state and national legal organizations, and he has earned perennial top rankings and endorsements from his peers each year since 2008. He also received the Thurgood Marshall Award from the Association of the Bar of the City of New York for his selfless and outstanding pro bono representation of Florida death row inmates.
A 1977 graduate of Harvard College, Mr. Claman obtained his Juris Doctor from Harvard Law School in 1980, and the New York State Bar Association admitted him to practice the following year.
About Richard L. Claman
First Admitted: 1981, New York
Professional Webpage: https://sbchlaw.com/attorneys/richard-l-claman/
- Harvard College, 1977
- Published several papers in Conservative Judaism and the Journal of the Academy for Jewish Religion, and delivered papers at the World Congress of Jewish Studies (Hebrew University, Jerusalem) on issues in Jewish Philosophy
- “NY Super Lawyers” – 2008-2019
- Awarded for pro bono representation of two individuals on death row in Florida, Thurgood Marshall Award, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 1988
- Bar Admission New York - 1981:Admitted to practice before the United States District Court, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York,United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 2010
- Reported Decisions:Meridian Capital Partners, Inc. v. Fifth Ave. 58/59 Acquisition Co. LP, 874 N.Y.S.2d 440 (1st Dep’t 2009): CIBC Mellon Trust Co. v. HSBC Guyerzeller Bank AG, 56 A.D.3d 307 (1st Dep’t 2008): FAMO, Inc. v. Green 521 Fifth Ave. LLC, 51 A.D.3d 578 (1st Dep’t 2008): 400 Madison Owner LLC v. Goldin Associates, 2008 WL 518152 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co.): Teachers Ins. Annuity Association of America v. Cohen’s Fashion Optical of 485 Lexington Ave., Inc., 45 A.D.3d 317 (2007): 401 West 14th Street Fee LLC v. Mer du Nord Noordzee, LLC (“Markt Restaurant”), 34 A.D.3d 294 (1st Dep't 2006): Green 440 Ninth LLC v. Duane Reade, 2005 WL 3240673 (AT 1st Dep't): Jacobs Private Equity, LLC v. 450 Park LLC, 22A.D.3d 347(1st Dep't 2005): Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP v. Metropolitan 919 Third Avenue LLC, 6 Misc.3d 796 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co. 2004): Mason v. Dep’t of Buildings, 307 A.D.2d 94, "Decision of the Day", 5/30/2003 N.Y.L.J. 18 (col. 1) (1st Dep’t); SLG 17 Battery LLC v. Broderick, 2001 WL 1691977 (AT 1st Dep’t), affirming 1/19/00 N.Y.L.J. 27 (col. 3)(Civ. Ct. N.Y. Co.); Metropolitan 919 Third Avenue LLC v. P.J. Clarke’s Restaurant Corp. 12/20/01 N.Y.L.J. 21 (col.2) (AT 1st Dep’t): 110-45 Queens Blvd. Garage, Inc. v. Park Briar Owners, Inc., 265 A.D.2d 415 (2d Dep’t 1999): Doros v. New Green 1140 Realty, LLC, 1998 WL 886980 (2d Cir.): Pinnacle Equities New York, Inc. v. Zapco 1500 Investment, L.P., 9/3/97 N.Y.L.J. 22 (col. 3) (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co.): 69th St & 2nd Ave. Garage Assoc. v. Ticor Title Guarantee Co., 207 A.D.2d 225, 1/30/95 N.Y.L.J. 25 (col.3) ("Decision of the Day") (1st Dep’t 1995), leave to appeal denied, 87 N.Y.2d 802 (1995): In re Sanshoe (EBG Midtown Corp. v. McLaren/Hart Environmental, 139 B.R. 585 (S.D.N.Y.), aff’d, 993 F.2d 300 (2d Cir. 1993)
Last Updated: 3/24/2022