Richard L. Rosen
Top Rated Franchise & Dealership Attorney in New York, NY
As the founding member of The Richard L. Rosen Law Firm, PLLC, in New York, New York, attorney Richard L. Rosen has established himself as a leader in franchise law. Serving a diverse range of clients throughout the state as well as in various jurisdictions across the country, Mr. Rosen has more than 40 years of legal experience advising franchisers and franchisees, helping to establish franchise entities, systems and programs; drafting and negotiating franchise agreements; and resolving disputes through arbitration, mediation and litigation.
In addition to franchise law, Mr. Rosen has extensive experience handling all areas of corporate law and commercial litigation, real estate law and transactions, (having developed properties in New York City for approximately 20 years) and estates and trusts. Devoted to helping his clients resolve their conflicts and reach agreements as efficiently as possible, Mr. Rosen focuses his efforts on both transactional matters as well as alternative dispute resolution techniques, such as arbitration and mediation; however, he and his firm will not hesitate to fight on behalf of his clients in court when necessary.
In all cases, Mr. Rosen is fully committed to helping his clients protect their rights and interests while working to help them achieve their specific goals no matter how complex their needs. From his high level of client commitment, he has earned numerous awards and honors throughout his career, including an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell as well as recognition from various peer review sources as being among the best franchise attorneys in the nation.
A 1965 graduate of Cornell University, where he majored in Philosophy and was a New York State Regents Scholar, Mr. Rosen obtained his Juris Doctor from New York Law School in 1968, where he was a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Prize in Criminal Law. The New York State Bar Association admitted him to practice that same year, and he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd and 9th Circuits.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Rosen is the immediate past chair of the Fair Franchising Standards Committee, and he serves on the board of directors of the American Association of Franchisees & Dealers organization. Recognized for his exceptional contributions to his field, he received the organization's Total Quality Franchising Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008. He is a founding member and past Chairman of the Franchise, Distribution and Licensing Law Section of the New York State Bar Association (and Chairman of its Franchise Relations and its Mission Statement Committees).
In addition, Mr. Rosen is highly active in various other professional legal organizations, and he writes extensively and conducts lectures and seminars throughout the country on franchise law and other legal topics. Richard Rosen is a contributor to "Franchising 101, The Complete Guide To Evaluating, Buying and Growing Your Franchise Business" compiled by the Association of Small Business Development Centers. Mr Rosen and his Firm are the authors of the sections on Franchise Law in the United States that appear in the Third, Fourth and Fifth Editions of the (International) Franchise Law Review, as well as the US Franchise Law Analysis which appears in the International Comparative Legal Guide to: Franchise, in its 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 Editions. He and his firm recently completed the sections on Franchise Law in the States of New York and New Jersey as published by Lexology in the 2020 Digital Edition of Franchise USA.
Mr. Rosen is listed in Who's Who in America and has recently been chosen to receive the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award; Who's Who In American Law; Best Lawyers In America; Who's Who In the World; "101 Best Franchise Lawyers In America" (the Franchise Times); is a Charter Member of the Franchise Times Hall of Fame of Franchise Attorneys; Best Lawyers in the US; Chambers; Attorney of the Year, New York, 2015; America's Super Lawyers; Best Attorneys in America; Who's Who Legal; Franchise; and the International Who's Who, Legal (compendium Edition); and is a recipient of the Global Award for Franchise Law. In 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020, Richard Rosen was named franchise Attorney of the Year for the United States by Lawyer Monthly and received the Global Award as Franchise Attorney of the Year in the US from Finance Monthly in 2019. He received the Global 100 as Franchise Attorney of the Year in the USA in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Richard Rosen was named Franchise Lawyer of the Year in the United States by International Finance and Law in 2017, 2018 and 2019 and Franchise Lawyer of the Year-USA for 2020 by Lawyer International. In 2018, 2019 and 2020 Richard was named one of the 100 Best Attorneys In The World by LegalComprehensive.com.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- New Future for Earnings Claims (1999)
- State of the Art Franchise Agreements (2004)
- Negotiation of a Franchise Agreement (2000)
- Improving Arbitration (2002)
- Inside a Franchise Arbitration (2008) - Co-author
- Real Estate Issues In a Franchise Relationship (2005)
- The Impact of The Internet On Franchising: What The Future Holds (2017) - This Article, which appears in the 2017 Edition of Who's Who Legal, Franchise (International), sets out the changes that the advent of the internet has had on retail sales, generally, on franchise retailing in particular and on real estate development yet to come, all as predicted by the author more than 20 years ago.
- Counseling the New Franchisee (and Why it is Important to Franchisor Lawyers) (2006)
- Structuring the Development of the Franchise Units: General Real Estate Issues (2008)
- What is Left of Good Faith & Fair Dealing in the Franchise Relationship (2003)
About Richard L. Rosen
First Admitted: 1968, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.richardrosenlaw.com/Who-We-Are/Richard-L-Rosen.s...
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section, Founding Member and Immediate Past Chairman, Franchise, Distribution and Licensing Committee
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1972
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1972
- AV Rated and named as a "Preeminent Attorney" by Martindale-Hubble; CPR Institute For Dispute Resolution Distinguished Panel of Neutrals, Mediator; American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator; American Association of Franchisees and Dealers, 1997 - Present, Member, Board of Directors; 1999 - 2008 Chair, Fair Franchising Standards Committee, 1997 - 2004, Chair, Legal Steering Committee; Chair, Model Franchise Agreement Subcommittee; Member, Steering Committee of the National Franchise Mediation Program; American Bar Association, 1987 - Present, Member, Forum Committee on Franchising; Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Panel Member, Committees on Franchising and Corporate Law; Franchise Lawyers Association; International Franchise Association; New York State Bar Association, Founding Member and Chairman, Franchise Law Committee; New York State Bar Association, Chairman, Mission Statement Committee of Franchise Law Committee; New York State Bar Association, Member, Executive Committee.
- New York, 1968
Other Outstanding Achievements
- WHO’S WHO IN AMERICA PROFILE FOR ROSEN, ROSEN, RICHARD LEWIS, lawyer, real estate developer; b. NYC, Mar. 6, 1943; s. Morris and Lorraine (Levy) R.; m. Doris Ellen Bloom, Aug. 28, 1983. BA, Cornell U., 1965; JD, N.Y. Law Sch., 1968; cert., NYU Real Estate Inst., 1980. Bar: NY 1968, US Dist. Ct. (so. and ea. dists.) NY 1972, US Ct. Appeals (2d cir.) NY 2008; lic. real estate broker. Pvt. practice, NYC, 1971-73; ptnr. Rosen, Wise, Felzen & Salomon, NYC, 1973-79, Rosen & Felzen, NYC, 1979-84, Rosen, Rudd, Kera, Graubard & Hollender, NYC, 1985-88, Bell, Kalnick, Klee and Green, NYC, 1989-90; shareholder Rosen, Einbinder & Dunn, P.C., NYC, 1990-2005; pvt. practice The Richard L. Rosen Law Firm, PLLC, NYC, 2005—. Contbg. author: Franchising 101, The Complete Guide to Evaluating, Buying and Growing Your Franchise Business; author: Renewal of Your Franchise: Some Solutions, Franchise Times. Named one of America's 100 Best Franchise Lawyers, Franchise Times; Charter Member of Franchise Times Franchise Lawyers Hall of Fame; named to Best Lawyers in Am., Best Lawyers Franchise Lawyer of the Year (NY), 2016; Super Lawyers, Best of US; listed in the International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers; recipient Total Quality Franchising Lifetime Achievement award, Am. Assn. Franchisees & Dealers, 2008; NY State Regents scholar; NY State Track Champion, Sprint Medley Relay 1960; Pa. Relays Gold medalist 1964; Eastern States Lightweight Weightlifting Champion 1968; LI Masters Sprint Champion. Mem.: Intl. Franchise Assn., ABA (mem. forum com. on franchising), Am. Assn. Franchises and Dealers (former chmn. legal steering com., bd. dirs., past chmn. fair franchising stds. com., chmn. alternate dispute resolution com.), NY State Bar Assn. (founding mem. franchise law com., exec. com. bus. law sect., chmn. mission statement com. of franchise law com.), Am. Franchise Assn., Nat. Franchise Mediation Program (mem. steering com., disting. panel neutrals), Assn. Bar City NY (panel mem. com. on franchising, panel mem. com. on corp. law), Red Key Hon. Soc. (Cornell U.), Sphinx Head Hon. Soc. (Cornell U.), Spiked Shoe Soc. (Cornell U.), Ea. Intercollegiate Athletic Assn. (named Lightweight Football All Ea. Selection 1963, 1964). Avocations: guitar, reading, coaching youth soccer and track, masters track competition. Home: 1 Old Jericho Tpke Jericho NY 11753-1205 Office: Richard L Rosen Law Firm PLLC 110 E 59th St 23rd FL New York NY 10022 Home Phone: 516-931-0771; Office Phone: 212-644-6644. Business E-Mail: [email protected] Web address: www.RichardRosenLaw.com
- International Who's Who of Business Lawyers
- America's Most Honored Business Professionals
- International Who's Who of Franchise Attorneys
- Best Lawyers in the U.S.
- Who's Who In the World
- 101 Best Franchise Lawyers in America, Franchise Times
- Richard was named as Franchise Lawyer Of The Year in the USA for 2016 and 2017 by Lawyer Monthly. He received the Global 100 Award as Franchise Attorney of The Year in the USA in 2017. Richard was named as on of the 100 Best Attorneys In The World by LegalComprehensive.com for 2018., Franchise Lawyer Of The Year, USA, Lawyer Monthly, 2016
- America's Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc.
- Who's Who in American Law
- see prior summary, Franchise Attorney of the Year, USA, Lawyer Monthly, 2018
- On May 5, 2008, Richard was honored by the American Association of Franchisees and Dealers (AAFD) during its 16th Annual Conference held in Newport News, Virginia when he was presented with its Total Quality Franchising Award for Lifetime Achievement. Richard was only the third attorney (the late Harold Brown and Michael Dady being the others) to receive this prestigious award; 2009, received commendation for long standing service to the Jericho youth athletic community.
- Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 1965, B.A., Major: Philosophy
- New York University Real Estate Institute, 1980
- Franchisors: Capezio n’Things; Fancy Feet Dance Studios; Lady Madonna Franchising Corp.; Little Scoops; Muginoho USA, Inc.; Pildes Optical Franchising Corp.; Scotto Pizza Franchising Corp.; Seniors Helping Seniors; Tilden Auto Care. Franchisees: 16 Handles; ActionCOACH; American Express; ATC Health Care; Baskin Robbins; Blimpie; Boston Chicken; Burger King; Carvel; Century 21; Children's Orchard; Closets By Design Franchisee Association; Cold Stone Creamery; Dogtopia; Domino's; Dunhill Staffing Systems Franchisee Association; Dunkin Donuts; Exxon/Mobil; Famous Famiglia Pizza; FastFrame USA; Fast-teks; Fitness Together; Five Guys Famous Hamburgers; General Nutrition Centers (GNC); GMAC Real Estate; Goddard Schools; Golden Krust; GutterShutter; Haagen Daz; Hollywood Tans; Home Helpers; Howard Johnsons; The Huntington Learning Center Franchisee Association; Incredible Edible Delites; Island Ink-Jet; Jani King; John Robert Powers; Kentucky Fried Chicken; Kidville; Lady of America; Kiddie Academy; Kitchen Tune Up, Inc.; Mail Boxes USA; Manhattan Bagel; Massage Envy; McDonalds; Meneike Discount Muffler Shops; Merry Maids; Minute Man Press; Mister Softee; Molly Maid; Mom Corps; Monster Mini Golf; The Packaging Store; Papa Johns; Mr. Rooter Plumbing; Pearl Vision; Qdoba Mexican Grill; Quiznos; Red Mango; ReMax; Retro Fitness; Robeks Smoothie; Sadkhin Complex; Sign*A*Rama; Soupman; Submarina; Subway; Sunoco; Super Shuttle Franchisee Association; Sylvan Learning Centers; TCBY; The Tutor Time Franchisee Association; Weichert Realty; Yogurtland.
- Richard L. Rosen has obtained many favorable verdicts and settlements over the more than 35 years he has practiced law, whether in real estate, commercial, corporate, or dispute resolution matters but most significantly in the area of franchise relations. In 2008 Richard successfully represented a group of Dunhill Franchisees in a multi-million dollar arbitration. [See Dunhill Franchisees Trust v. Dunhill Staffing Systems, Inc., 513 F.Supp.2d 23 (S.D.N.Y. 2007)].
Pro bono/Community Service
- Founder of the Jericho Jets youth track team; has coached youth soccer and track since 1996.
- Lecturer, "Providing Franchisor Counsel and Franchisee Counsel With Practical Legal and Business Advice With Respect To Negotiating the Key Terms of a Typical Franchise Agreement", New York State Bar Association; Lecturer, "Real Estate Issues in a Franchise Relationship", New York State Bar Association; Lecturer, "Structuring the Development of the Franchise Units: General Real Estate Issues", New York State Bar Association; "Arbitration or Litigation", The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; "What the Franchisee Lawyer Cares About and Why the Franchisor Lawyer Needs to Know", The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; "How to Franchise Your Business", The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; "Things You Thought You Knew About Your Franchise Agreement, But Probably Don't", American Association of Franchisees and Dealers; "Insurance Coverage - How to Protect Yourself As a Franchisee", American Association of Franchisees and Dealers; "New Future for Earnings Claims", American Bar Association; "Inside a Franchise Arbitration, "American Bar Association; "Improving Arbitration", International Franchise Association; "What is Left of Good Faith & Fair Dealing in the Franchise Relationship," International Franchise Association; "State of the Art Franchise Agreements," International Franchise Association; "Counseling the New Franchisee (and Why it is Important to Franchisor Lawyers)", International Franchise Association; "Restrictive Covenant, Should We or Shouldn't We?," International Franchise Association; "10 Things Nobody Tells You When You're Shopping for a Franchise," International Franchise Expo; "What You Should Know About Estate Planning," Generation Strategies.
- "The Pros and Cons of Being a Restaurant Franchisee", NRA May 2014 Show; NRA May 2013 Show; NRA May 2012 Show
- "Key Issues Negotiating and Drafting Area Development and Sub franchising Agreements", 46th Annual IFA Legal Symposium
- Speaker, "Representing the Franchisee", Fundamentals of Franchising, American Bar Association Forum on Franchising in conjunction with the NYSBA Franchise, Distribution and Licensing Law Committee of the Business Law Section, Affinia Manhattan, June 11, 2014
- Richard, (with members of his firm), authored the articles summarizing the status of franchise law in the United States for the Third Edition (2016) and the Fourth Edition (2017) of the (International) Franchise Law Review distributed by Law Business Research, Ltd., Author, Franchise Law In The United States, 3rd Edition, Franchise Law Review, Franchise Law, 2016
- Richard authored, (along with other members of his firm), the articles on Franchise Law that appear in the 2017 and 2018 Editions of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Franchise Law., Author, The International Comparative Legal Guide Franchise: 2017, Global Legal Group, Franchise Law, 2017
Last Updated: 5/15/2022