Robert C. Gottlieb
Top rated criminal defense attorney in New York, New YorkRobert C. Gottlieb & Associates PLLC
Robert C. Gottlieb is the founder of Robert C. Gottlieb & Associates PLLC. He is a well-known and experienced trial attorney who has tried countless criminal and white-collar cases in both federal and state courts throughout the country over his 40 years in practice. Many of his cases are highly publicized in the local and national media.
Mr. Gottlieb has represented both individuals and corporations charged with the most serious crimes including securities and bank fraud, money laundering, violations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Medicare and insurance fraud, federal and state tax violations and crimes, murder, rape and assault. In addition to representing clients at trial, Mr. Gottlieb and his firm have been retained to represent companies and businesses in far ranging internal investigations in connection with allegations of FCPA violations, fraud, money laundering, theft and other criminal activity. Mr. Gottlieb is highly sought after for trial and appellate work.
Mr. Gottlieb ran for Suffolk County, New York District Attorney in 1989. He is a frequent lecturer on criminal law issues for state and national bar associations and is a frequent contributor of articles covering a wide range of relevant and timely legal issues in legal periodicals and the New York Law Journal. In 2008, Mr. Gottlieb was appointed to the New York State Bar Association's Task Force on Wrongful Convictions to investigate the causes of wrongful convictions and to recommend changes in the criminal justice system to prevent such convictions from occurring in the future. He has also served as an adjunct professor in Trial Practice at Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center in Huntington, New York and has been on the faculty for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
Mr. Gottlieb received a Bachelor of Science from Cornell University in 1972 and a Juris Doctor from New York University Law School in 1975. He served as an assistant district attorney in Manhattan under the legendary Robert Morgenthau from 1975 through 1979 and in 1983 established his own law firm concentrating on state and federal criminal law.
Mr. Gottlieb has held United States Department of Justice Top Secret Security Clearance.
Mr. Gottlieb has authored and published numerous articles on complex and important criminal law issues, including search and seizure and abuse of the government’s authority to obtain wiretaps.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: white collar
Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Felony, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Criminal domestic violence, White collar crime, Criminal law - federal
- 50% Criminal defense
- 50% Criminal defense: white collar
First Admitted: 1976, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.robertcgottlieblaw.com/attorneys/robert-c-gottli...
- Federal Representation of financial advisor at major financial brokerage firm charged with fraud in connection with obtaining confidential client information. Representation of public official in federal investigation of political corruption Representation of a taxpayer in an IRS criminal investigation in the Southern District of New York into alleged tax evasion and hiding of assets in offshore bank accounts. Representation of an insurance agency and company principals in an SEC and criminal investigation of an alleged Ponzi scheme. Representation of a national paper products company in an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of New York, of alleged bank and securities fraud. Representation of a director of an investment bank in a wide-range, multi-district investigation by Federal and State prosecutors of alleged financial, securities and accounting misconduct at one of the largest and most prominent investment banks in the world. Representation of a former bank officer charged in the Southern District of New York with defrauding his employer by falsifying bank documents in order to secure loans. Representation of individual under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York, in matters related to foreign accounts and payment of taxes. Representation of real estate developer charged in the Southern District of New York with money laundering and obstruction of justice. Representation of individual under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Connecticut, for her role in an alleged bank fraud. Representation of restaurant owner charged in the Eastern District of New York with conspiracy to commit money laundering of the proceeds of an illegal gambling business. Representation of an individual under investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Florida, and the Department of Justice, Consumer Protection Branch of the fraudulent sales of vending machine business opportunities. Representation of a private investigation company in connection with Grand Jury subpoenas issued by the Eastern District of Virginia’s U.S. Attorney’s Office. Representation of an owner of a Department of Defense contractor in an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Ohio, of the alleged fraudulent sale of electrical components for military weapons. Representation of livery company owner in the Eastern District of New York in connection with criminal allegations of structuring financial deposits to avoid reporting requirements. Representation of individual charged in the Southern District of New York with mail, wire and stock fraud. Representation of a vice president of a printing company charged in the Southern District of New York with mail fraud and commercial bribery in connection with an alleged kickback scheme. Representation of an individual charged in the District of New Jersey with the trafficking of counterfeit apparel. Representation of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning company and its President/Owner in the Southern District of New York in connection with charges of criminal antitrust violations. Representation of a construction manager in the Eastern District of New York charged with conspiracy to commit bank fraud and mail fraud in connection with fraudulently obtained mortgages. Representation of a member of the board of directors of a military contractor in the investigations by the SEC and the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of New York, of alleged securities fraud. Representation of owner of medical equipment company in prosecution for conspiracy to violate United States trade embargos. Representation of Chinese National arrested by ICE and Customs agents for customs fraud.
- Representative State Representation of stockbroker husband accused of murdering his wife. Representation of asbestos removal company in the New York Count District Attorney’s investigation into the causes of a fire in a downtown commercial building. Representation of former attorney charged with grand larceny and scheme to defraud in Queens County Supreme Court. The allegations were based upon the theory that the attorney stole money from her clients through her IOLA account. The District Attorney ultimately dismissed all charges against the client. Representation of individual investigated by New York State Insurance Fund regarding allegation of worker’s compensation insurance fraud. Representation of a national fire and security company in investigations by the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office of alleged violations of the Prevailing Wage Law. Representation of jewelry company in the investigation and audit by the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. Representation of a real estate attorney in an investigation by the New York District Attorney’s Office in connection with alleged theft of client monies by a title company. Representation of individual in New York County Supreme Court charged with money laundering and promoting prostitution. Representation of a recycling company in the investigation by the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office and the New York Attorney General’s Office of alleged fraudulent activity. Representation of former employee of an attorney’s office charged in New York County Supreme Court with forgery and the theft of funds from his employer. Representation of financial advisor under investigation by the New York Attorney General’s Office for his involvement in an alleged Ponzi scheme. Representation of a construction company before the New York City Environmental Control Board with respect to the alleged improper handling of asbestos. Representation of an insurance broker in an investigation by the New York County District Attorney’s Office of allegations of the theft of insurance premiums. Representation of an individual in New York County Supreme Court state court alleged to be a partner in a high profile prostitution ring. Representation of landlord charged in New York County Supreme Court with the murder of one of his tenants
- Represented two Unitarian ministers in New Paltz, New York who were arrested for solemnizing same-sex marriages. Charges dismissed. Represented protesters arrested on federal criminal charges of criminal trespass on government property for protesting the existence of the The U.S. Army's School of the Americas' training facilities and program at Fort Benning, Georgia. Represented a woman arrested at the Republican National Convention in New York City who was charged with assaulting security officers inside Madison Square Garden. Acquitted after trial. Presently represent Jon Adrian Velazquez who is serving a prison term of 25 years-life for murder. Investigation and court proceedings seeks to overturn a wrongful conviction based solely on erroneous eye-witness identification.
- Member, Board of Directors, Argus Community, Inc. (alcohol and substance abuse treatment provider)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating - Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards, 2016
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100
- New York Metro Super Lawyers list, 2015-2017
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Member of the Nation's Top One Percent Attorney's
- Elected to Cornell University's Board of Trustees as student member in 1971 and served a 2 year term on the board's executive committee., Trustee Cornell University, 1971
- Selected for Membership, International Network of Boutique Law Firms
- New York City Bar Association
- Member, INBLF NY Chapter
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- American Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- New York State Bar Association, Federal Bar Council, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Cornell University, B.S. in Industrial & Labor Relations, 1972
- Specific reforms to minimize wrongful convictions by changing identification procedures and videotaping suspect statements, Reforms would Reduce Wrongful Convictions, New York Law Journal March 23, 2009, 2009
- Faculty, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Adjunct Professor in Trial Practice, Touro College, Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
- The changing landscape of regulatory compliance requirements for broker-dealers requires new and stricter compliance practices by broker-dealers to avoid penalties and sanctions, co-author, Broker-Dealer Compliance in Era of Regulatory Pressures, New York Law Journal, 2014
- Based on personal experience in representing defendant in federal terrorism trial in New York, my observations of this country's response to fighting terrorism and its impact on civil liberties and constitutional rights., Lecturer, Has America's fight against terrorism robbed this country of its soul?, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 2013
- An analysis of the government's increased and novel use of wiretaps to investigate and prosecute stock and securities crimes, co-author, Fourth Amendment and Wiretaps: Lessons from the Galleon Prosecutions, New York Law Journal, 2012
- Served as leader of panel on "Understanding and Avoiding Insider Trading charges," at a hedge fund conference, Alpha Hedge West Conference in 2014 and 2015 in San Francisco and West Palm Beach. , Alpha Hedge West And East Conferences
- Charges dropped after Insider-trading Ruling-Wall Street Journal, December 14, 2014 (Peixoto), 2014
- Prosecution of Trade Secret Charge May be "over the top," judge suggests, April 21, 2014 (Gao), 2014
- NYS Bar Association
Office location for Robert C. Gottlieb
New York, NY 10006
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2022