Samuel J. Himmelstein
Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in New York, NY
Samuel J. Himmelstein is a partner with Himmelstein McConnell Gribben & Joseph LLP, a Manhattan based Landlord/Tenant and Real Estate law firm.
Serving a diverse range of clients throughout the greater New York City metro area, Mr. Himmelstein focuses his practice on tenant litigation for residential and commercial clients, tenant group representation for co-op members and condominium owners, and representation of tenant associations and co-op conversions. He has handled numerous cases in Housing Court, Supreme Court, the New York Appellate Courts and administrative agencies including the Division of Housing and Community Renewal and the Department of Housing, Preservation and Development. His firm also handles all types of real estate transactions for residential and commercial properties.
Widely regarded as a leader in his field, Mr. Himmelstein has published several manuals on tenant and landlord issues, and he has served as legal advisor for numerous pamphlets involving subletting, apartment sharing and other related matters. He is a regular contributor to BrickUnderground, and is frequently quoted in articles appearing in The New York Times and The Real Deal. In addition, he has also conducted many lectures and continuing legal education seminars across New York and appeared on various television and radio news programs, as well as several print publications, where he has offered in-depth legal commentary about a range of topics related to tenant rights and co-op conversions.
A 1976 cum laude graduate of Brooklyn College, Mr. Himmelstein obtained his Juris Doctor from New York Law School cum laude in 1979. The New York State Bar Association admitted him to practice the following year, and he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Federal Court. Early in his career, he served with both the East Brooklyn Legal Services and South Brooklyn Legal Services. In 2009, he accepted an appointment as the tenant representative of the Housing Advisory Council.
Among his most notable clients, Mr. Himmelstein has represented the Metropolitan Council on Housing, the New York State Tenant and Neighborhood Coalition, The Chelsea Hotel Tenant Association, and numerous other Tenant Associations throughout the City . He has also served the needs of numerous individual tenant clients and tenant groups, where he has proven himself a staunch advocate for their rights and interests. Active in his legal community, he is a member of the National Lawyers Guild, The New York City Bar Association and the New York County Trial Lawyers Association, among his other professional affiliations.
About Samuel J. Himmelstein
First Admitted: 1980, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.hmgdjlaw.com/Attorneys/Samuel-J-Himmelstein.shtm...
- , None
- New York State Tenant and Neighborhood Coalition
- Metropolitan Council on Housing
- Wertentiel v. Coe, 503 N.Y.S.2d 692 (N.Y.City Civ.Ct. 1986)
- 1202 Realty Assoc. v. Evans, 481 N.Y.S.2d 208 (N.Y.City Civ.Ct. 1984)
- Chen v. Allen, 496 N.Y.S.2d 651 (N.Y.City Civ.Ct. 1985)
- 224 East 18th Street Associates v. Sijacki, 524 N.Y.S.2d 964 (N.Y.City Civ.Ct. 1987)
- A Tenant's Guide to Housing Court, 1983
- Frequent Lecturer, Tenants Rights and Cooperative Conversions
- Tenants' Rights and How to Protect Them, New York City Commission on Human Rights , 1992
- How to Get Your Landlord to Correct Violations, 1983
- New York, 1980
- New York County Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1983 - Present
- National Lawyers Guild, Member, 1976 - Present
- U.S. Federal Court, 1981
- Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, Brooklyn, New York, B.A. in Psychology, cum laude, With Honors, 1976
- I have represented the Chelsea Hotel Tenant Association from 2011 to the present. , 2011
Last Updated: 5/15/2022