Scott M. Sisun
Top rated intellectual property attorney in New York, New YorkSisun Law
Practice Areas: Intellectual property; view more
Licensed in New York since: 2002
Scott is a former Trademark Attorney Examiner with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He is currently the founder of Sisun Law, an intellectual property law firm that offers trademark, copyright, and patent law services to clients of all sizes.
Among his many accolades, Mr. Sisun is featured in the “prosecution and strategy” category of the World Trademark Review 1000 (“WTR 1000”). The WTR 1000, a peer-nominated publication, notes that Mr. Sisun has an “intuitive sense of timing when it comes to the application of aggressive tactics.”
Over the course of his almost twenty-year career, Mr. Sisun has prosecuted thousands of trademark applications for clients in various fields including fashion, technology, finance, food and spirits, and sports and entertainment. He has conducted full trademark clearance searches for an equal number of trademarks for clients to help determine distinctiveness of the mark and potential trademark conflicts. He has also significant experience in the negotiating and drafting of intellectual property agreements for his clients, including settlement, coexistence, and license agreements, to name a few. As an advocate for his clients, Mr. Sisun has brought and defended many complex trademark matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and has represented clients in connection with domain name enforcement and defense UDRP actions. He is experienced with copyright and trademark enforcement having successfully resolved numerous enforcement and defense matters with third-party retail and social media platforms as well as individuals and companies. He is also an accomplished speaker having led and moderated many intellectual property roundtables, and numerous practical trademark law talks for business owners. His legal writing includes co-authoring the Practical Law publication Loss of Trademark Rights, and the drafting of numerous published articles on topics from a number of sectors including cannabis, sports, and fashion.
Scott also mentors startups of all stages for the DC-based accelerator, C5 Accelerate, where he teaches a quarterly seminar to the accelerator’s cohorts on trademark law. He has also been an active New York City Bar and International Trademark Association (“INTA”) member and committee member for various intellectual property-related committees including the Fashion Law Committee, the Trademark & Unfair Competition Committee, and the enforcement committee with INTA.
Mr. Sisun graduated from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University and holds a Master of Laws (LLM) degree in Intellectual Property from the same institution.
Following law school, Mr. Sisun gained his initial legal experience as a judicial law clerk for Judge John A. O’Shaughnessy (retired) in New Jersey. Prior to founding SISUN LAW, Scott practiced with large and mid-sized New York City law firms and served as a Trademark Examining Attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Practice areasIntellectual property
Copyrights, Patents, Trademarks, Intellectual property law
- 100% Intellectual property
First Admitted: 2002, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.sisunlaw.com/about
- , One to Watch in the World Trademark Review 1000 list of Leading Trademark Professionals, 2016 to Present
- Moot Court Honor Society, Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- Mentor with C5 Accelerate, quarterly seminars on trademark law for start-ups
- Co-author of Loss of Trademark Rights a Practice Note published by Practical Law
- Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, an ABA publication, “The Ball Is in Your Court: An Update on Trademarks (and Copyright) in Sports,” 2017
- Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, an ABA publication, “Revisiting Federal and State Trademark Registration for the Cannabis Industry,” 2018
- New York, 2002
- USPTO Trademark Examiner alumni
- International Trademark Association (Member, Trademark Office Practices Committee, USPTO subcommittee)
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Member, Trademark & Unfair Competition Committee)
- Trademark and Unfair Competition and Fashion Law Committees of the New York City Bar
- Enforcement Sub Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York, LL.M., Major: Intellectual Property, 2003
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York, J.D., 2001
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts, B.A., 1997
- alcohol and spirits
- Consumer Products
- Fitness And Health
- Food And Beverage
- Real Estate
- Sports And Entertainment
Office location for Scott M. Sisun
135 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10016
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022