Sheila G. Riesel
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in New York, NY
Sheila G. Riesel is an attorney and partner at Blank Rome LLP in New York, New York. Ms. Riesel has been licensed to practice law since 1969 and litigates on behalf of clients throughout New York who have experienced family and matrimonial legal issues. She handles matters involving divorce, custody, equitable distribution, prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, separation agreements and complex valuations.
Ms. Riesel is licensed to appear in all New York state courts. She is also admitted before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Over the course of her career, Ms. Riesel has argued dozens of times in state and federal appeals courts as well as before the Supreme Court of the United States. Her accomplishments have earned her a rating of AV Preeminent*, the highest possible rating, by the peer review organization Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Riesel has received additional recognition including a listing in “The Best Lawyers in America” several years in a row and being named one of “America’s Top 100 Attorneys Attending to Affluent Families” by Worth magazine. She is a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, the New York State Bar Association and the Federal Bar Council.
Ms. Riesel earned a bachelor’s degree from Vassar College and went on to obtain her law degree from Fordham University School of Law. She is president of the 1966 alumni class of Vassar College.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 100%Family Law
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022
Articles about Sheila G. Riesel appearing in Super Lawyers
About Sheila G. Riesel
First Admitted: 1969, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.blankrome.com/people/sheila-g-riesel
Pro bono/Community Service
- Vassar College, Alumni Class Member, 1966
- 2005 Matrimonial Commissions, Member
- AV Preeminent®, listed by Martindale-Hubbell®
- New York “Super Lawyer” in Family Law, listed in Super Lawyers, 2006–2017
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys Attending to Affluent Families, listed by Worthmagazine
- Family Law in New York, listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2005–2018
- Vassar College, BA
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of New York
- New York City Bar Association, Member
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Federal Bar Council, Member
Last Updated: 3/25/2022