Top Rated Tax Attorney in New York, NY
Selected to Rising Stars: 2016 - 2017
Steven Goldburd is a partner at New York City-based Goldburd McCone LLP. Focusing his practice exclusively on tax law, he provides representation to people and businesses throughout the region in matters involving tax audits, criminal tax defense, international transactions and their tax effects, and IRS collection efforts. Mr. Goldburd has a background in tax accounting as well, having served as a tax consultant at Deloitte & Touche and as a senior associate at PricewaterhouseCoopers.
As an undergraduate, Mr. Goldburd attended Brooklyn College where he received a Bachelor of Science in accounting. He then pursued his legal studies at Fordham University School of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 2003. While in law school, he was an associate editor of the Fordham International Law Journal. Mr. Goldburd subsequently added to his tax law knowledge by successfully completing the graduate tax program at New York Law School and receiving an LL.M. in taxation in 2014.
Mr. Goldburd is admitted to practice before all New York state courts. He is also admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, the United States Tax Court, and the United States Court of Federal Claims.
Highly regarded by his fellow professionals, Mr. Goldburd has been named to the annual American Society of Legal Advocates list of Top 40 Lawyers Under 40. He is an active participant in several legal organizations, including the Committee on Taxation of the New York County Lawyers Association and the New York State Bar Association.
About Steven Goldburd
First Admitted: 2007, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.goldburdmccone.com/About/Steven-Goldburd.shtml
- New York Law School, New York, New York, LL.M.
- Brooklyn College, Brooklyn, NY, B.S. in Accounting
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- Supreme Court of New York
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Represented a $35,000,000 grossing Client on the restructuring of its business structure., 2018
- Repesented a client for the tax structuring of sale of property under IRC 1033 for $2,500,000., 2019
- Represented a Client on the sale of a business for $12,000,000., 2019
- Top 100 Tax Lawyers in the State of NY, Top 100 Tax Lawyers in the State of NY, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2019
- The Tax Lawyers recommended adviser in New York for 2020. Each year just one tax lawyer per state is selected., The Tax Lawyers recommended adviser in New York , https://www.the-tax-lawyers.com/, 2020
- Client Choice Award, Avvo.com, 2016
- Top 40 Under 40 - 2015-2018, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2018
- Top Attorney - 2015-2017, Who's Who Directory, 2017
- Lead Counsel Rating - 2013-2018, Lead Counsel, 2018
- Represented a client who had an initial balance of $104,013 from an IRS audit. Filed for audit reconsideration and reduced liability to $4,132., 2021
- Filed NYS Tax Offer-in-Compromise for Client reducing liability by $1,879,934.40., 2021
- Client had an initial assessment of $155,049 from an IRS Audit. Filed for Audit Reconsideration reducing liability to $20,152., 2021
- Client had an initial liability of $143,777. Filed for an IRS offer-in-compromise and reduced liability to $33,000., 2021
- Client had an initial assessment for $1,107,319.64 for an NYC Commercial Rent Tax Audit. Appealed assessment and abated liability in full., 2021
- Client was audited by the IRS and assessed $125,918. Filed for audit reconsideration, reversed initial assessment in full and was able to get client a refund for $71.43., 2021
- Represented a Client with a IRS liability of $391,094.73. His request was for help to get him into a payment plan. After a review of his file, we determined that he merely did not file the return for the years in question. We obtained the records and filed the returns. End result was a liability of $1,192.80 with all the penalties and interest included., 2020
- Our client was audited for Commercial Rent Tax. Not knowing that this was a tax issue, he spoke to his real estate attorney. The real estate attorney called us after trying to deal with the audit himself and after receiving a $1,075,019 determination plus an additional audit for years that were outside of the current audit period. We reviewed the tax returns and each of the 14 leases. We were able to prove that while the parent entity paid millions of dollars in rent, no one single property was over the threshold for a Commercial Rent Tax liability. After proving that to the auditor, we were able to close out the open audit. However, as the initial audit was already closed, we had to go to a Conciliation Conference. At this point, with additional penalties and interest, the assessment was up to $1,107,320. After showing the Conciliator the same calculations. He closed the case with a no tax owed determination!, 2020
- Our Client was audited for his company’s and his personal tax returns. The audit found that the company owed $163,683 and he personally owed $122,253. Totaling $285,936. We had to file in tax court for each. After months of negotiations and almost a full re-audit, we signed the decision documents this week! Result: Company owes $37,421 and the individual owes $13,803. Total owed $51,224, total savings $234,712., 2020
- Represented a client before IRS appeals for an assessment of $944,808.42 for one tax year for which he was under audit. Final determination from IRS appeals was a total tax owed $1,968. However, since my client’s bank account was already levied to the tune of $4,600, he will actually be receiving a REFUND of $2,632., 2020
Last Updated: 5/27/2022