Steven J. Mandel
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in New York, NY
From the gritty streets of Brooklyn, Steven J. Mandel worked through law school as a professional comedian, performing in front of literally thousands of people, in the most prestigious comedy clubs and resorts in the tri-state area. He credits this experience in making him a successful trial attorney, since both arenas require the lawyer/performer to be fully prepared, persuasive & able to relate to an “audience”. In recognition of his comedic skills, Steve was accepted as a member of the esteemed Friars Club.
Steve now regularly “performs” as a legal analyst on TV, sharing his wealth of knowledge and legal expertise in a totally engaging way. All of the major New York newspapers and many national magazines have quoted him extensively in a number of “high profile” cases.
Steve went to Adelphi University on a baseball scholarship. Although he received an invitation to try out for the Toronto Blue Jays, he decided his competitive spirit would best be served by becoming a lawyer. Steve graduated, in the top of his class, with a Doctor of Law degree from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, in 1979.
Recognized as a “Top 100 Lawyer in the United States” by the American Society of Legal Advocates; a “Top Attorney of the Year” by the New York Times Magazine Section; a “Family Law Practitioner of the Year” by New York Magazine; a “Legal Leader” and one of “New York’s Top Rated Lawyers” by ALM; and a consummate “Super Lawyer" selectee, Steven J. Mandel also received a perfect “10” rating from AVVO for “peer recognition & client satisfaction" and Martindale-Hubbell awarded him their prestigious “AV Preeminent” rating, which is the “highest possible in both legal ability and ethical standards”.
Steve Mandel is honored to have been selected by his peers to serve as a co-chair of the New York County Lawyer’s Association’s Matrimonial Law Section. A true legal scholar, Steve serves as a faculty member of the New York College of Matrimonial Trial Attorneys and, as such, teaches continuing legal education programs at bar associations and law schools throughout New York State. He has also co-authored “Strategies for Family Law in New York”, which was published by Thomson Reuters and is available on Amazon.
A proud member of the Board of Directors & Chief Legal Counsel for Ed Randall’s Fans for the Cure for Prostate Cancer Awareness, Steve has also provided extensive legal counsel and assistance to the Multiple Sclerosis Society since 1987. In recognition of his efforts, the New York City Chapter of the MS Society honored him with a special award, on the field, before a New York Mets game and the National MS Society inducted him into their Volunteer’s Hall of Fame, an honor reserved only for the most respected volunteers in the country.
With all he’s accomplished over the years, Steve still measures his success by the thoughtful “thank you cards” he receives from his grateful clients. He’s been described as "the Picasso of the legal profession” because of his proven ability to keenly assess each client's individual situation and tailor an approach best suited to achieve a successful result for them. For this reason, he has succeeded in what other lawyers might describe as "the un-winnable case". Perhaps this is why, according to Martindale-Hubbell, Steven J. Mandel has enjoyed a “profile rating” of #89 out of 100,331 lawyers in New York State, and #1,275 out of 1,692,898 nationwide, placing him in the top 99.92 percentile!
- 90%Family Law
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2022
About Steven J. Mandel
First Admitted: 1980, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.mandellawfirm.com/Attorney-Profiles/Steven-J-Mand...
- Members of the New York Mets & New York Yankees, Professional NBA Basketball Players Singers, Dancers, Actors, Rappers,Musicians, Major Televison and Movie Actors, CEOs of Major Corporations, Hedge Fund Managers, Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Teachers, Television News Anchors, Computer Analysts, Stock Portfolio Managers, Investment Bankers, Wealth Managers and stay-at-home Moms & Dads.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Chosen a Family Law Practitioner of the Year by New York Magazine.
- Received Martindale-Hubbell's prestigious “AV Preeminent” rating, which is the “highest possible in both legal ability and ethical standards”.
- Received a perfect “10” rating from AVVO for “peer recognition & client satisfaction"
- Honored to be a New York "Super Lawyer"
- Steve Mandel was honored to present a Continuing Legal Education program for attorneys, entitled "Same Sex Marriage: The Law and its Application” at Pace University School of Law. This program was sponsored collectively The Pace Woman's Justice Center, The Westchester Woman's Bar Association and the Ninth Judicial District Committee to Promote Gender Fairness in the Courts
- Steve Mandel volunteers his time as a faculty member of the New York College of Matrimonial Trial Attorneys and, as such, prepares continuing legal education programs on trial practice and family law for other lawyers at Bar Associations throughout New York State
- "Marriage Equality Inequalities", Co-Author, Strategies For Family Law in New York, Thomson Reuters, 2016
Pro bono/Community Service
- Featured Judge, Yale University Moot Court Competition
- Board of Directors and Chief Legal Counsel, Ed Randall's Fans for the Cure
- Senior Volunteer Legal Consultant for the NYC Chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Featured Judge, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Moot Court Competition
- Spirit Award from National Multiple Sclerosis Society, New York City Chapter
- Adelphi University, With Honors
- Legal Services Volunteer of the Year Award, from National Multiple Sclerosis Society, New York City Chapter
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, the highest possible Peer Review Rating
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society's Volunteer Hall of Fame
- Adelphi University, Garden City, New York, B.A., magna cum laude, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1981
- New York County Lawyer's Association, Matrimonial Section Co-Chair
- New York County Bar Association and its Family Law Section, Committee Member
- Brooklyn Bar Association and its Family Law Section, Committee Member
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1999
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1981
- New York College of Matrimonial Trial Attorneys, Faculty Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- American Society of Legal Advocates
- New York, 1980
- New York City Bar Association and its Family Law Section, Committee Member
- New York State Bar Association and its Family Law Section, Committee Member
- New York Women's Bar Association and its Family Law Section, Committee Member
Last Updated: 6/15/2022