Steven M. Shepard
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in New York, NY
A partner at the New York City office of Susman Godfrey LLP Attorneys at Law, Steven M. Shepard focuses his practice on complex civil litigation. He joined the national law firm in November 2013, and he provides representation to clients throughout the greater metropolitan area. Admitted to practice before all New York state courts since 2012, Mr. Shepard is additionally admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
During his career in private practice, Mr. Shepard has represented plaintiffs and defendants in both individual lawsuits and class action proceedings. The types of cases that he has handled cover a wide variety of claims and disputes, and they have included securities fraud, bad faith and other insurance coverage matters, the False Claims Act, antitrust actions, patent infringement and fraud. Mr. Shepard’s successes in the courtroom and at the negotiating table have earned him several honors and awards from many organizations, including being named to the annual Lawdragon 500 list of the Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers and recognition from the American Antitrust Institute in 2019 for his work in an automotive parts antitrust case.
Mr. Shepard majored in government and foreign affairs at the University of Virginia and received a Bachelor of Arts in 2001. After serving his country with the Peace Corps, he enrolled at Yale Law School and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 2007. Mr. Shepard then clerked for Justice Anthony Kennedy on the U.S. Supreme Court and for a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit before again serving his country, this time as an attorney with the U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps. He has spent his entire career in private practice with his current firm.
About Steven M. Shepard
First Admitted: 2014, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.susmangodfrey.com/attorneys/steven-m-shepard/
- Recognized on Lawdragon 500’s list of the country’s Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers, 2019-2020
- Included on Benchmark Litigation’s “40 and Under Hot List”, Legal Media Group, 2018
- Named a Rising Star by the New York Law Journal, ALM, 2019
- Recognized for Outstanding Antitrust Litigation Achievement in Private Law Practice by the American Antitrust Institute (2019) for work on In re: Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, New York Metro Area, Thomson Reuters, 2016-2020
- New York State Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- University of Virginia, B.A., with highest honors, 2001
Last Updated: 5/15/2022