Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in New York, NY
- Free Consultation
Steven Schiesel is a founding partner of Pecoraro & Schiesel, a Manhattan litigation firm concentrating in personal injury, medical malpractice, insurance and general commercial litigation.
Steven received a B.A., Cum Laude, from Columbia University (New York), a J.D. from Fordham Law School and an LL.M. in Trial Advocacy & Litigation from Temple University Law School. While a student at Columbia University, he was elected to the Ivy League Chapter of the Psi Chi National Honor Society and was a member of the Dean's List. While a law student at Fordham Law, he served as a Journal Member, which selected its members based on grades and a writing competition.
Since establishing his firm in 1994, Steven has steadily built a reputation for excellence by winning multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for his clients in State and Federal Court. Steven is frequently retained by other law firms to try their complex personal injury, medical malpractice and insurance cases. Prior to forming his own firm, Steven was a Trial Attorney at a nationally known defense firm, defending Doctors, Trucking Companies and Insurance Companies in lawsuits brought against them.
In surveys of his Peers and Judges, Steven is consistently named as one of the top Attorneys in his field. He was awarded the highest, AV Preeminent* (5/5) rating, from Martindale-Hubbell and a "Superb" rating from AVVO. In 2010 and 2011, Steven was named by Arrive Magazine as one of the top plaintiff’s personal injury attorneys in New York. He was also included on Lawdragon Magazine's list of the 3000 leading plaintiffs' lawyers in America and was a finalist for the Top 500 Lawyers (in all specialties) in the United States. In August 2014, Steven was included on the New York Law Journal's list of the top 10 percent of litigators in the United States.
Continuing education plays a significant part in Steven's career. He completed a 550-hour intensive trial advocacy program at the National College of Advocacy in Washington, D.C. and was awarded the highest designation, Diplomat, at its conclusion. Shortly thereafter, the National College of Advocacy also awarded Steven the ASTA certification after completing its Advanced Studies in Trial Advocacy Program. Approximately 50 attorneys in the United States hold the dual designation of Diplomat and ASTA. In 2018, Steven spent a week at Harvard Law school participating in a 60 hour mediation and negotiation workshop led by Harvard Law School Professor Robert Mnookin, a preeminent mediator of complex disputes.
The highlight of Steven’s career came when he spent a month living and studying with renowned trial lawyer Gerry Spence at his Dubois, Wyoming ranch. Steven, and 50 other experienced trial lawyers from across the United States,honed their trial skills and staged mock trials involving complicated personal injury fact patterns.
Pro Bono service has also been a part of Steven's career. He has taught trial advocacy and moot court skills to High School students in under-served neighborhoods of New York City and represented mentally ill individuals in Court proceedings.
Steven's professional affiliations include the New York State Trial Lawyers Association, where he served on the Executive Committee and Board of Directors; the American Association for Justice, where he was a member of the President's Club; and the New York State Bar Association, which honored Steven with its Empire State Counsel Award for outstanding service to the community.
In his spare time, Steven is an active member of Mensa and Intertel which granted him admission in 1985 based upon his scores on a competitive I.Q. examination.
Steven has also served as Appellate Counsel. Some of his noteworthy reported cases include:
Behagan v. L & L Painting Co., Inc., 50 A.D.3d 403, established that a subcontractor can be held strictly liable under Labor Law Section 240 (1) for injuries to an employee of a general contractor where the subcontractor requested that the employee prep an area for painting.
Lofaso v. J.P. Murphy Associates, 37 A.D.3d 769, held that Labor Law section 240 (1) applied to a repairman who fell from a ladder while replacing bands on a garage door.
Desir v Sburlati, 35 A.D.3d 650, held that plaintiff was entitled to recover punitive damages as a result of a workplace accident where defendant, plaintiff's co-worker, recklessly caused the plaintiff a leg injury. The action was not barred by the worker's compensation defense. The Court also held that the verdict of $750,000.00 for pain and suffering was not excessive even though plaintiff made a full recovery and quickly returned to work at a higher paying job.
Sullivan v. Dawes, 28 A.D.3d 472. Appellate Court affirmed denial of summary judgment to defendant in pedestrian knock down case under Insurance Law 5102 (d). The Court held that defendant's examining physician must assign a numerical value to plaintiff's range of motion then compare that numerical value to a generally accepted normal range of motion.
Scarso v. M.G. Gen. Constr. Corp., 16 A.D.3d 660, held that an employee of a plumbing subcontractor was entitled to recover damages from a general contractor when the employee fell off a truck and then into a ditch. The Court held that under New York State Labor Law 241 (6), the general contractor had a duty to install safety railings around the ditch to prevent workers from falling even though the general contractor did not create the ditch.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell peer review ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 60%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20%Insurance Coverage
- 20%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Insurance, Dental Malpractice, Medical Malpractice
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2022
About Steven Schiesel
First Admitted: 1992, New York
Professional Webpage: https://psinjurylaw.com/steven-g-schiesel/
- Settlement: $5,000,000.00 settlement in Federal Court against a Foreign Government for airplane cleaner who fell and sustained fractures while removing garbage from a Government owned plane at JFK airport. The case had been declined by two law firms who believed the case lacked merit.
- Settlement: $475,000.00 for truck driver who lacerated a finger while working.
- Settlement: $2,100,000.00 for husband whose wife was struck and killed by a motor vehicle while she was crossing the street with a red light.
- Verdict: 1,500,000.00 for trip and fall while exiting commercial building.
- Settlement: $3,500,000.00 for spouse of an individual who died as a result of medical malpractice.
- Verdict: $619,388.00 for labourer who fell from scaffold fracturing both wrists. Plaintiff was working and not undergoing medical treatment at time of trial. The verdict was for pain and suffering only.
- Settlement: $36,000,000.00 structured settlement for woman paralyzed in an automobile accident in Queens, New York. Plaintiff was intoxicated, not wearing a seatbelt, and was sitting on another passenger's lap in an overcrowded car at the time of the accident. The corporate defendant which owned the car declared bankruptcy prior to trial, and the case was litigated in Federal Bankruptcy Court in Delaware when it was settled at full value with the defendant's insurance company.
- Settlement: $3,250,000.00 for welder who fell from ladder and fractured wrist.
- Settlement: $300,000.00 for debilitated patients who fell on ice and sustained a torn tendon.
- Settlement: $375,000.00 for elderly nursing patient who fell and fractured hip due to lack of nursing supervision (fracture repaired by minimally invasive surgery).
- Settlement: $1,500,000.00 in Federal Court for Carnival Worker injured by metal pipe that fell from a Ferris Wheel.
- Verdict: Obtained a directed verdict on behalf of a self insured dentist sued for malpractice.
- Settlement During Trial: $975,000.00 for labourer who fractured skull after falling from a scaffold.
- Verdict: $1,210,088.00 for worker who sustained sciatic nerve injury at work.
- Settlement: $3,000,000.00 for upstate New York infant injured during child birth.
- Settlement: $1,125,000.00 for patient injured as a result of Hospital's failure to diagnose an aneurysm.
- Settlement: $650,000.00 for individual involved in motor vehicle accident causing dental injuries and a knee injury requiring minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery.
- Verdict: $300,000.00 for dental tech. who sprained wrist in car accident.
- Settlement: $230,000.00 for man who sustained a knee injury as a result of tripping and falling on depressed asphalt in the street while walking to his car outside the crosswalk.
- Settlement: $700,000.00 for Labourer who fractured leg as a result of falling at a construction site. Cast worn for 4 months, but no surgery performed. Case had been declined by other law firms.
- Settlement: $1,825,000.00 for woman who sustained herniated disc in car accident.
- Verdict: $1,064.357.00 for plaintiff who was involved in minor car accident. Minimally invasive shoulder surgery performed.
- Settlement During Trial $1,360,000.00 for passengers injured in a motor vehicle collision.
- Verdict: Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a dental lab sued for malpractice, breach of warranty and breach of contract. Plaintiffs, a large group of Dentists, sued the lab for manufacturing defective dentures and other prosthetics which allegedly exposed the dental group to malpractice claims.
- Settlement During Trial: $2,400,000.00 for upstate New York infant injured during childbirth.
- Settlement: $750,000.00 for young girl who sustained a mild shoulder injury, erbs palsy, during her birth.
- Settlement: $975,000.00 total settlement for restaurant worker who slipped and fell injuring lower back (no surgery).
- Settlement: $400,000.00 in a malpractice case against a City Hospital for improper treatment of an infection in elderly AIDS patient.
- Verdict: $587,000.00 for wrist fractures for labourer who fell from ladder.
- Settlement During Trial: $450,000.00 for man who sustained a fractured hip after being struck by a stolen car being pursued by police after robbery.
- Settlement: $750,000.00 for elderly hospital patient who fractured jaw as result of fall.
- Settlement During Trial: $375,000.00 for man who sustained an ankle fracture as a result of slipping and falling on ice on a city sidewalk.
- Settlement: $1,250,000.00 in a Federal Court Civil Rights case for a plaintiff who was wrongfully convicted of murder. Case settled prior to discovery. The case had been declined by other law firms believing it lacked merit.
- Verdict: $1,200,000.00 for patient who injured arm and neck while riding as a passenger in an ambulette involved in an accident.
- Verdict: Obtained a plaintiff's verdict on liability on behalf of a dental technician in a claim against a large dental practice for breach of contract in the sale of dental prosthesis.
- Settlement: $750,000.00 for repairman who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery after falling from a ladder.
- Settlement During Trial: Confidential settlement with Life Insurance Company for the Estate of a man who died as a result of a heart attack three months after purchasing multiple life insurance policies. The insurance company refused to pay the policy proceeds claiming that the decedent made material misrepresentations on the insurance application.
- Settlement: $850,000.00 for electrician who fell at a construction site injuring his neck and losing 8 months from work (no surgery).
- Settlement During Trial: $2,950,000.00 for worker who suffered neck and back injuries as a result of a fall.
- Settlement: $1,800,000.00 for maintenance man hit by a van while going to work. Fractured skull with surgery.
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York, J.D.,
- Columbia University, New York, New York, B.A. cum laude, Honors: Elected to the Psi Chi National Honor Society and was regularly on the Dean's List
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, LL.M. in Trial Advocacy
- New York Super Lawyers, 2009 and 2010
- Named as one of the top 10 personal injury attorneys in the Northeastern United States, Arrive Magazine, 2010
- Empire State Counsel Award, New York State Bar Association, 2008
- Named a Top Rated Lawyer by the New York Law Journal, New York Law Journal Top Rated Lawyers , 2018
- AV (Preeminent 5/5 Peer Review) Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2010-present. Ratings are based on a questionnaire Martindale-Hubbell submits to Judges practiced before as well as peers who practice personal injury litigation
- Trial Advocacy Award American Association for Justice, 2007
- Diplomat, Trial Advocacy, National College of Advocacy, 2007
- Rated 10/10 (Superb, Highest Rating) by AVVO Lawyers Rating Service
- Named as One of the Top 10 Personal Injury Attorneys in the Northeastern United States by Arrive Magazine, Top 10 Personal Injury Attorneys, Arrive Magazine published by AMTRAK, 2011
- Lifetime Membership, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Finalist, Lawdragon's 500 Leading Lawyers In America Lawdragon Magazine, 2008
- Rated among the top 3000 Leading Plaintiff's Lawyers in America Lawdragon Magazine, 2006
- Trial Advocacy Award American Association for Justice (ATLA), 2010
- Included on the list of Top Rated Trial Lawyers in the United States published by Martindale-Hubbell and the National Law Journal. 2013-2018.
- Masters of Trial Law, Highest Designation, American Association of Justice.
- Masters Level, Highest Designation, Keenan Trial Institute
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Diplomat, The National College of Trial Advocacy, Washington, D.C.
- ASTA Certification, The National College of Trial Advocacy, Washington, D.C.
- Deposition Skills, Guest Instructor, Temple University School of Law, LL.M. in Trial Advocacy Program
- Instructor, Trial Advocacy Skills, Trial Advocacy Program For H.S. Students, 2008
- Fordham International Law Journal, Staff Writer
- Book Review-Litigating Brain Injuries Bill of Particulars (New York State Trial Lawyers Association), 2007
Pro bono/Community Service
- Serves as a Judge for Trial Advocacy Competitions at the High School, College and Law School Levels. 2006-2014.
- Coaches High School Moot Court and Trial Advocacy teams in underserved areas in New York City.
- Represents mentally ill individuals pro bono in various legal proceedings, 2007
- U.S. District Courts Eastern Districts of New York
- Member, New York County Lawyers Association, 1992 - Present
- Member, New York State Bar Association Committee on Attorney Professionalism, 2006 - Present
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts Southern Districts of New York
- President's Club, American Association for Justice, 2005 - 2007
- Connecticut, Admitted, 1992
- Member, American Association for Justice, 1989 - Present
- Member, American College of Legal Medicine, 1992 - 1998
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, New York State Trial Lawyers Association, 2006 - 2007
- New York, Admitted, 1993
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Pro Bono Award from The New York State Bar Association
- Intertel. Life Member. Granted membership based upon score achieved on competitive admissions examinations, 1987
- Harvard Law School, Harvard Negotiation Institute. Completed a one week practical skills workshop in negotiation and mediation.
- Mensa, Life Member. Granted membership based upon score achieved on a competitive admission examination, 1985
- Graduate, Trial Lawyers Institute, Atlanta Georgia. Completed 14 course Trial Skills program at the Keenan Law Firm in Atlanta, Georgia, 2017
- Certified, Advanced Studies in Trial Advocacy, National College of Advocacy, Washington, D.C.
- Graduate, Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College, Dubois Wyoming. Completed one month Advanced Trial Skills program at the Spence Ranch in Dubois, Wyoming, 2013
Last Updated: 5/15/2022