Warren Gleicher provides sophisticated tax advice in regard to structuring of
private real estate investments and advice in regard to succession and estate
planning for families in real estate and who have closely held businesses. estate
planning advice in regard to the structuring of private equity real estate
Warren brings a well-rounded perspective in advising in the context of complex joint ventures, real estate sales and investments, private equity investments, and foreign investment in the United States. He conducts tax analysis, supervises the drafting of all the applicable joint venture, LLC and limited partnership documents, and ensures tax-efficient structuring of investing in the U.S. In his practice, Warren focuses on the acquisition of large real estate projects, providing tax advice to partnerships and joint ventures, 1031 exchanges and tax issues for coops and condos.
Warren also works with high net worth families on their estate and succession planning with closely held businesses. Many families rely on Warren to advise them on multigenerational tax-efficient estate planning and the reorganization of multiple family holdings and to supervise and manage the administration of their estates. He prepares their estate and gift tax returns, provides generation-skipping transfer tax guidance and handles estate tax audits.
Thorough, skilled and business savvy, Warren delves into financial analysis, offering clarity in incredibly complicated situations. Clients appreciate his ability to explain complex tax, legal and financial concepts in easy-to-understand terms. Whether representing wealthy families with large real estate holdings, owners of closely held businesses or foreigners investing in the U.S., Warren always advises with an eye to the future to ensure solutions work today and in the long term.
First Admitted: 1977, New York
Professional Webpage: http://www.olshanlaw.com/attorneys-Warren-Gleicher.html
- 5.0/5.0 Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence, Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent®
- Advised the Korein family – one of the nation’s leading real estate families – on the tax aspects of its sale of 111 Wall Street for $220 million to a joint venture of Nightingale and the Kuwaiti Sovereign Wealth Fund. The 1.1 million square foot waterfront property was the former longtime home of Citigroup until the end of 2019 but will now be modernized and renovated before being leased. This deal was reported in both The Real Deal and Commercial Property Executive.
- Advised client 601W Companies on the acquisition of three office buildings in Jersey City, NJ, known as Harborside Financial Center Plaza, for $420 million. This deal was reported in Commercial Observer.
- Advised 601W Companies, as buyer, in its acquisition of 410 Tenth Avenue from seller SL Green Realty Corp., handling the tax planning and the joint venture agreements for the buyers. This deal was 2020’s biggest transaction for an office building in Manhattan after the start of the coronavirus pandemic. This deal was reported in Commercial Observer, The Real Deal, and Boston Real Estate Times.
- Advised client 601W Companies on the revitalization of the Old Chicago Main Post Office, a capacious Art Deco-style building. This move is part of the growing trend of transforming old post office facilities around the country into modern office space.
- Advised the buyer in its acquisition of the leasehold position in the iconic Mobil Building at 150 East 42nd Street in Manhattan, one of the biggest financing deals of 2014. The deal involved securing a $700 million loan, entering into a 99-year ground lease extension with the landowner, purchasing the existing leasehold from Hiro Real Estate Co, and creating a sub-leasehold condominium for Mt. Sinai Medical Center.
- Formed family trusts and limited liability companies for a large family with substantial real estate holdings.
- Advised the managing member of limited partnerships and limited liability companies in the acquisition and sale of real estate in excess of $1 billion.
- Advised and drafted documents in regard to succession planning for large closely held businesses.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court of the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association (Tax Section)
- American Bar Association (Taxation Section)
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Chairman of Board of the American Society of the University of Haifa
- LL.M., New York University School of Law, Taxation, 1977
- B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1973
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023