Daniel R. Bernard
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Riverhead, NY
- Free Consultation
- Virtual Appointments
Daniel R. Bernard is an attorney and partner at Twomey, Latham, Shea, Kelley, Dubin & Quartararo, LLP, in Riverhead, New York. Mr. Bernard focuses his practice on estate planning and represents a wide variety of clients, particularly New York residents who own real estate in Florida.
Mr. Bernard frequently works with matters involving business succession planning, estate administration, estate tax planning and trust administration. He is an experienced litigator and is always dedicated to protecting the legal rights of his clients.
Sharing his estate planning knowledge, Mr. Bernard has appeared on television programs and podcasts to discuss estate planning topics. Newsday and The Wall Street Journal have quoted him in their publications, and in 2019, Long Island Business News presented him with a “Leadership in the Law” award, an honor presented to associate attorneys demonstrating leadership capability, high ethical standards and contributions to the legal community.
Active in the New York State Bar Association, Mr. Bernard is a member of the Tax Section, the Trusts & Estates Law Section, and the Multi-State Practice Committee. He maintains membership in The Florida Bar, belonging to the Out of State Division and the Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section. He also belongs to the Suffolk County Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Estate Planning Council of Suffolk County, Inc.
Mr. Bernard received a bachelor’s degree in finance and economics from Temple University and earned his law degree from Rutgers Law School, Newark. Additionally, he holds a Master of Laws degree in taxation from New York University. He is qualified to appear before the state courts of both New York and Florida, as well as the U.S. Tax Court.
About Daniel R. Bernard
First Admitted: 2013, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://suffolklaw.com/our-people/daniel-r-bernard/
- Suffolk County Bar Association
- Presented CLE for Strafford Publications entitled "Estate Planning and the SECURE Act", 2021
- Presented CPE entitled "Tax Reporting Mechanics of Trust Decanting" for Strafford Publications., 2021
- Member, Estate Planning Council of Suffolk County
- Member, Florida State Bar Association, Real Property Probate Law Division
- Member, Florida State Bar Association, Out of State Division
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section, Trusts and Estates Committee, Member
- New York State Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Suffolk County
- Vice-Chair of the New York State Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section Multi-State Practice Committee, Taxation Committee, 2019
- Florida Bar Association
- Temple University, B.B.A., Finance and Economics, 2008
- New York University School of Law, LL.M in Taxation, 2017
- This podcast addresses such topics as having estate planning documents for both New York and Florida, ancillary probate and how to avoid having your estate probated in two states, and domicile, or which state considers you a resident for state tax purposes, Guest, Rockefeller: Help Your Snowbirds Dodge Tax Pitfalls, The Dead Celebrity Podcast, Snowbirds, Estate Planning, 2019
- The NFL’s Stance on Gambling: A Calculated Contradiction, 4 UNLV Gaming L.J. 273 (2013)
- Non-Custodial Parents’ Right to Their Children’s College Records, 40 Rutgers L. Rec. 48 (2012)
- In this podcast I describe legal considerations for establishing residency to avoid problems with the tax authorities in NY, and maintaining trusts and other issues - if you move to Florida, Guest, Moving to Florida, Law You Should Know podcast, Estate Planning, Snowbirds, 2019
- Leadership in Law Award honoring attorneys associated with a law firm at the level of associate for his professional achievements, legal and business contributions; service to the legal profession and improvement of the legal system through practice innovations, legal scholarship, advancing diversity within the profession, and maintaining and encouraging high standards of ethics; participation in professional associations; volunteer or pro bono public service; and community involvement., Leadership in Law, Long Island Business News, 2019
- This article addressed the impact of the recently passed SECURE Act on estate planning, Estate Planning Under the SECURE Act: Do I Need to Update My Estate Plan?, 2020
- I was a guest on Buzz TV's "Ask the Attorney" to discuss estate planning for snowbirds, Ask the Attorney, Estate Planning, Snowbirds, 2020
Other Outstanding Achievements
- I was a guest on the television program "Ask the Attorney" where I discussed estate planning for snowbirds, 2020
- Wrote and published book entitled "Estate Planning for Snowbirds" https://www.amazon.com/Estate-Planning-Snowbirds-Daniel-Bernard/dp/1951149971/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2TB63ZA50SALZ&keywords=estate+planning+for+snowbirds&qid=1642781487&sprefix=estate+planning+for+snowbirds%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3, 2021
- I was quoted in a U.S. News and World Report Article entitled "10 Steps to Writing a Will". https://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/family-finance/articles/steps-to-writing-a-will?src=usn_nl_moneydecisions&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Your%20Money%20Decisions-Fri%20May%2014%2006:07:00%20EDT%202021&utm_term=Your%20Money%20Decisions, 2021
- I was a guest on the "Ask the Attorney" show discussing estate planning considerations for people moving from New York to Florida. https://iwantabuzz.com/legal/ask-the-attorney/daniel-bernard-from-twomey-latham-2/, 2021
- I was quoted in a Newsday article entitled, Facing an Audit, 2020
- I was quoted in a Wall Street Journal article in regard to people leaving states with high state and local taxes for states with low to no state and local tax states, 2019
Last Updated: 5/15/2022