Top rated Family Law attorney in Rochester, New YorkWicks Law Firm
The founder of the Wicks Law Firm in Rochester, New York, Jeffrey Wicks serves clients in the surrounding counties, helping them with legal matters related to family law, civil rights, and criminal defense cases, including drug crimes, DWI, federal charges and charges against college students.
After obtaining his bachelor’s degree from the State University of New York at Oswego, Mr. Wicks earned his Juris Doctor from the Gonzaga University School of Law in Spokane, Washington in 1982. After passing the bar, he has been licensed in all the state courts of New York and before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Wicks began his legal career at the Monroe County Public Defender’s office, representing indigent people in criminal defense cases for more than four years. This further ignited his passion for the law, and he joined private practice at the law firm of Bansbach, Zoghlin, Wicks & Wahl, P.C.
In 2002, Mr. Wicks began his solo practice, using his wealth of legal knowledge to help his clients in various matters ranging from divorce and student advocacy to defending serious felonies such as weapons charges, sex crimes and more. With almost four decades of experience, he offers his clients compassionate guidance through legal proceedings and fights tirelessly to protect their rights.
Recognized by peers for his dedication toward the law and for his zealous advocacy, Mr. Wicks has received a Distinguished* peer-review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and holds a “Good” rating on Avvo. Furthermore, he has been honored with the President’s Pro Bono Service Award by the New York State Bar Association.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law, Criminal Defense, Criminal Defense: White Collar
Child Support, Criminal Domestic Violence, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Criminal Law - Federal, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Failure to Pay Child Support, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Law, Marital Property, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Parole, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Probation, Prosecution, Same Sex Family Law, Theft, Traffic Violations, White Collar Crime
- 50% Family Law
- 30% Criminal Defense
- 20% Criminal Defense: White Collar
First Admitted: 1984, New York
Professional Webpage: https://wickslaw.net/attorney/jeffrey-wicks/
- Temple B’rith Kodesh, Founder, Holocaust Project and Community Curriculum
- Jewish Family Service Board of Directors, 1993 - 1995
- Center for Dispute Settlement - Director, Board of Directors, 1988–1996
- Center for Dispute Settlement - Chairman, Nominating Committee, 1989–1991
- Center for Dispute Settlement - Chairman, Fundraising Committee, 1991–1993
- Center for Dispute Settlement - President-Elect, Board of Directors, 1992–1993
- Center for Dispute Settlement - President, Board of Directors, 1993–1994
- Adjunct Professor, State University of New York, College at Brockport, Criminal Justice Department, 1999 - 2011
- Martinez v. County of Monroe in 2008
- Attorney Grievance Committee, Supreme Court Appellate Division, Fourth Judicial Department, Member, 2000 - 2006
- New York State Defender’s Association, Inc.
- Monroe County Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- Monroe County Bar Association, Chairman, Ethics Committee, 1989-1991
- Monroe County Bar Association, Member, Ethics Committee, 1987–present
- Monroe County Bar Association, Member, Board of Trustees, 1998–2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of New York, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1999
- New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 1984
- Selected to New York Super Lawyers, 2012 - 2017
- President's Pro Bono Service Award, New York State Bar Association, 2008 - Present
- State University of New York at Oswego, Oswego, New York, B.A. – 1975
- Criminal Defense
- Family Law
Office location for Jeffrey Wicks
36 W Main Street
Rochester, NY 14614
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023