Stephen J. Silverberg
Top rated estate planning & probate attorney in Roslyn Heights, New YorkLaw Office of Stephen J. Silverberg, PC
Practice Areas: Estate planning & probate, Elder law, Estate & trust litigation; view more
Licensed in New York since: 1977
Education: Brooklyn Law School
Law Office of Stephen J. Silverberg, PC185 Roslyn Road
Roslyn Heights, NY 11577 Visit website
Stephen J. Silverberg is nationally recognized as a leader in the areas of estate planning, estate administration, asset preservation planning, and Elder Law. He is a former president of the prestigious National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), and a founding member and former president of the New York State chapter of NAELA.
Silverberg was awarded the credential of NAELA Fellow, the highest honor bestowed by NAELA to “attorneys… whose careers concentrate on elder law, and who have distinguished themselves both by making exceptional contributions to meeting the needs of older Americans and by demonstrating a commitment to the Academy.” Silverberg is also a founding member of the New York State chapter of NAELA.
He holds the designation of a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA), awarded by the National Elder Law Foundation. There are fewer than 520 CELAs throughout the United States.
He has been awarded the Accredited Estate Planner® Designation, by the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils. The AEP designation is the only graduate-level designation in estate planning. The designation is administered and is awarded only to estate planning professionals who meet special requirements of education, experience, knowledge, professional reputation, and character.
Martindale-Hubbell® has rated Silverberg an AV® Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0 attorney for 2020, the highest possible designation from Martindale-Hubbell. Super Lawyers has named Silverberg to its select list of attorneys for twelve consecutive years, from 2007 to 2019. He has also been named a Best Lawyer from U.S. News & World Report for more than ten years.
He has served as an active member of the Nassau County Bar Association’s Elder Law, Social Services and Health Advocacy Committees and is a long-standing member of the Estate Planning Council of Nassau County. Silverberg is a past President of the Pension Council of Long Island. For eleven years, Silverberg has been an active member of the IRS District Directors Liaison Group. He is also an author of the Elder Law module of the Interactive Legal Document Systems, the preeminent document drafting program for attorneys.
Silverberg is frequently invited as a keynote speaker before national conferences, bar associations, universities, and legal and financial organizations on topics including estate planning, Elder Law, and tax planning matters. He has published in many legal and scholarly journals, including Trusts and Estates Magazine, The New York State Bar Monthly News, and is a widely quoted source for the news media on issues concerning estate and Elder Law.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEstate planning & probate, Elder law, Estate & trust litigation
Estate planning, Guardianships & conservatorships, Living wills, Probate & estate administration, Trusts, Wills
- 30% Estate planning & probate
- 40% Elder law
- 30% Estate & trust litigation
First Admitted: 1976, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.sjslawpc.com/about-our-firm/about-stephen-j-silv...
- The National Elder Law Foundation, under the auspices of the American Bar Association, has been authorized to grant certification in Elder Law. The ABA's Standing Committee on Specialization for accreditation has approved NELF as a certifying agency - the only organization offering certification in elder law. At the present time, there are less than 400 Certified Elder Law Attorneys in the United States. The certification program has been developed to identify those lawyers who have enhanced knowledge, skills, and experience to be properly identified to the public as certified elder law attorneys. The Board has developed and promulgated rules and regulations regarding certification and has begun the process of accepting applications. The certification process includes peer review and a full-day written examination.
- NAELA News Feb/Mar 2010
- NAELA/GCM Joint Conference 2005
- NAELA News – Oct/Nov/Dec 2015
- National Aging & Law Institute 2012
- Nassau Lawyer – June 2014
- With the lessening impact of the estate tax, income tax issues in elder law and estate planning have become more important. As a result, in planning for clients, the advisor must make sure that recommended planning strategies do not inadvertently cause additional income tax liabilities. This session examines the complex income tax basis issues that typically arise in the course of advising clients, Speaker, Tax Basis Issues in Elder Law Planning, NYU 64TH Institute on Federal Taxation, 2005
- NAELA News – Spring 2016
- NAELA Summit 2018
- Tax Section/NAELA News Online – June 2018
- NAELA News & Journal Online – May 2020
- The New York State Bar Monthly News
- Trusts and Estates Magazine
- Tax professionals have been losing sleep over The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (the Act). Congress pushed the Act through in three weeks and many deductions and exemptions that had been in place for years are gone. , Author, NAELA News - Tax Section “A Clear Winner in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017: Qualified Disability Trusts”, 2018
- While protecting small businesses is the CARES Act’s primary purpose, it also contains provisions that benefit Elder Law and estate planning clients and their families. The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) requested an article to explain those benefits to my colleagues in the Elder Law and estate planning bar., Author, NAELA News & Journal Online –“Waiver of Required Minimum Distributions and Other Provisions Affecting Withdrawals From Qualified Plans and IRAs Under the CARES Act”, 2020
- New York
- Nassau County Bar Association’s Elder Law
- Stephen is member of the Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys
- Estate Planning Council of Nassau County - Executive Committee, 2020
- Became a member of NAELA - National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 1992
- Stephen has previously served as an officer of the New York State Bar Association Elder Law Section. Among his accomplishments was reviewing and suggesting changes in legislation to improve the planning process in New York
- Vice-Chair of the Legislative Committee of the New York State Bar Association Elder Law Section, 2014
- Pension Council of Long Island, Past President
- IRS District Directors Liaison Group, Active Member
- Estate Planning Council of Nassau County, Long-Standing Member
- Pension Council of Long Island, Past President
- Social Services and Health Advocacy Committees
- Directly assisted Family Residences for Essential Enterprises raise over $150,000 to assist the organization in its goal to benefit children with special needs
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0 attorney for 2020
- Super Lawyers, 2007-2019
- This award is given annually to a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys in recognition of the recipient's accomplishments and commitment to the Elder Law bar., Outstanding NAELA Member, Theresa Alexandra Russo Foundation, 2005
- Estate Planner Designation, by the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils
- Awarded annually to a chapter member who has demonstrated superior skills and leadership., Chapter Member of the Year, New York Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2006
- Being named a Fellow is the highest honor NAELA can bestow on a member. Fellows are selected annually by a committee that evaluates a candidate's credentials. Only those who have shown extraordinary service and commitments are given the title., Fellow of the Academy, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2004
- Kansas City Barbeque Society Certified Barbeque Judge. Has judged numerous barbeque competitions throughout the Northeast.
- Hartwick College (B.A., 1973), 1973
Office location for Stephen J. Silverberg
185 Roslyn Road
Roslyn Heights, NY 11577
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2022
Certificates and credentials
Additional sources of information about Stephen J. Silverberg
Find me online
- Every time a celebrity dies, I know it’s just a matter of time until we learn how poorly their estate plan has been… https://t.co/4rw8Dieayh
- On National Slam the Scam Day and throughout the year, we give you the tools to recognize Social Security-related s… https://t.co/ScZBmVhXVA
- On National Slam the Scam Day and throughout the year, we give you the tools to recognize Social Security-related s… https://t.co/uUVolnoV6N