Alissa Van Horn
Top rated family law attorney in Westbury, New YorkVan Horn & Friedman, P.C.
Practice Areas: Family law; view more
Licensed in New York since: 2006
Education: Widener University – Delaware Law School
Van Horn & Friedman, P.C.1025 Old Country Road
Westbury, NY 11590 Visit website
Alissa L. Van Horn, Esq., serves as the managing partner of Van Horn & Friedman, P.C., a full-service family and matrimonial law firm, with its primary office in Westbury, New York. Ms. Van Horn has extensive experience in all family law-related cases, including divorce, adoption, custody, child support, orders of protection, foster care litigation, name changes, prenuptial, postnuptial, and separation agreements.
After five years of practicing in boutique law firms in New York City, Alissa opened the doors to her solo practice in 2010. She spent five years vigorously working to expand the firm, and ultimately, in 2015, Alissa was joined by her colleague and friend, Meredith Friedman, Esq. and together they formed Van Horn & Friedman, P.C. Always putting the interests of her clients first, Ms. Van Horn implements negotiation strategies to achieve the optimal results for her clients when a trial is not in their best interests. As a pioneer in her field, she works tirelessly on behalf of her clients to obtain the best possible results.
Alissa is a member of the New York State Bar Association, Family Law Chapter, the Suffolk County Bar Association, the Nassau County Bar Association, a former member of the Queens County Women’s Bar Association and the New York City Bar Association.
Alissa is licensed to practice law in New York, Connecticut and the United States Supreme Court. Alissa has a juris doctor from Widener University School of Law, and obtained her undergraduate degree in Public Administration from St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, PA.
In 2017, Alissa received Alissa received the Long Island Power Women in Business Award and the Long Island Business News Leadership in Law Award and has been selected as an honoree at the Long Island Business News 40 Under 40 Awards in 2018 and the Top 50 Women In Business Award in 2019. Alissa is also a 5-time recipient of the Rising Star Award and the Top Female Attorneys Award for NYC Metro by Super Lawyers Magazine. Alissa received the “10 Best” Award by the American Institute for Family Law Attorneys, the Top 10 Under 40 Award by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, the Top 100 Attorneys Award and the Top 40 under 40 Award for NYC by the National Advocates in the area of Divorce and Family Law, the Outstanding Women in the Law Award for 2016 by Hofstra Law School’s Center for Children and Families, and was featured by LI Pulse Magazine as a Top Legal Eagle, and in 2020 received the Attorney of the Year designation of Business and Professional Leaders.
Van Horn & Friedman, P.C. was selected as a Top 10 Law Firm in New York in the area of Family Law 3 years in a row.
Alissa began teaching CLE’s in 2015 on family and matrimonial matters for 5 CLE companies nationwide. Alissa was a Guest Speaker at Legaltech’s LegalWeek in 2018 on the topic of starting and succeeding in a small law firm. Additionally, Alissa has presented on topics related to divorce and Family Law by the New York State Society of CPA’s and New York Presbyterian Hospital. Throughout the year, Alissa offers free seminars to residents of Long Island on procedural and substantive matters they face in Family and Supreme Courts. Alissa is also a member of Pinktie.org, networking for a cause, and supports many local charities including the American Kidney Fund, Kids Clubhouse and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island, LIAFF.
Practice areasFamily law
Adoption, Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Juvenile law, Name change, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law, Father's rights
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 2006, New York
Professional Webpage: http://vanhornfriedman.com/van-horn.php
- Bachelor’s in Science for Public Administration from Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, PA, 2002
- Juris Doctor, Widener University School of Law, 2005
- Recipient for 3 years; Recognizing Excellence in Family and Divorce Law , Lawyer of Distinction , Lawyers of Distinction , 2020
- 2016 Award, 10 Best Family Law Attorneys, American Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2016
- Recipient, Attorney of the Year, Top Business and Professionals, 2020
- Recipient honoring the Top 50 Women in Business on Long Island , Top 50 Women in Business, Long Island Business News, 2019
- Recipient, Top 10 Under 40, National Academy for Family Law Attorneys, 2017
- Recipient of the Long Island Business News Leadership In Law Award, Leadership in Law, Long Island Business News, 2017
- Recipient, Best Family Law Firms, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2017
- Recipient, Outstanding Women in the Law, Hofstra University, 2016
- Recipient of the Top 40 Under 40 Award , Top 40 Under 40, Long Island Business News, 2018
- Recipient for 5 years, Top Women Attorneys for the NY Metro Area, SuperLawyers, 2019
- Recipient for 5 years, Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2019
- Recipient of the Long Island Power Women In Business Award, Long Island's Power Women In Business, Schnepps Communications, 2017
- Provide Pro Bono Legal Services to various local LI groups, including organizing lectures, 2020
- Business Consultant - Pro Bono; assist other professionals in setting up their businesses and mentoring individuals starting up new businesses, 2020
- Serve on the Business Advisory Board of the North Shore Child & Family Guidance Center, 2014
- Pinktie1000 Member; Pinktie.org, 2020
- Lecturer for Marino CLE for 5 years, Lecturer, Attorney , Marino CLE, Legal, 2020
- Guest Speaker for students interested in pursuing matrimonial and family law , Guest Speaker , Attorney , Touro Law School , Legal; Educaitonal, 2017
- Presented on the Topic of Starting and Maintaining a Successful Small Law Firm, Presenter, Attorney , LegalTech's Legal Week, Legal; Technical, 2018
- Lecturer, Lecturer, Attorney , Clear Law Institute, Legal, 2019
- Lecturer for 4 years, Lecturer, Attorney , LawLine , Legal, 2020
- Lecturer for NACLE for 3 years, Lecturer, Attorney , NACLE, Legal, 2020
- Founded VHF Legal Seminars, Inc., 2020
- CLE Instructor for Clear Law Institute , 2020
- Suffolk County Bar Association, 2020
- Matrimonial and Adoption Committees of the Nassau County Bar Association, 2020
- Nassau County Bar Association, Member, 2020
- Queens Chapter of the Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, 2020
- New York State Bar Association, Member, 2020
- NACLE - Woman Faculty of the Year , 2019
- CLE Instructor at LawLine , 2020
- United States Supreme Court Admission , 2016
- CLE Instructor for NACLE, 2020
- CLE Instructor for Marino CLE, 2020
Office location for Alissa Van Horn
1025 Old Country Road
Westbury, NY 11590
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2019