Peter Howard Tilem
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in White Plains, New YorkTilem & Associates, PC
Attorney Peter Howard Tilem is a senior partner with Tilem & Associates, PC, in White Plains, New York. A nationally ranked trial lawyer with nearly 30 years of total legal experience, Mr. Tilem focuses his practice primarily on criminal defense, and he provides unmatched counsel and support to clients throughout Westchester County and the surrounding areas of the New York City metro who stand accused or are under investigation for any type of felony or misdemeanor criminal offense.
A graduate of Carnegie Mellon University, Mr. Tilem began his legal career in 1991 after obtaining his Juris Doctor from Elisabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University and his license to practice from the New York State Bar Association. He worked for 10 years as an Assistant District Attorney in Manhattan's New York County District Attorney’s Office, during which time, he prosecuted hundreds, perhaps thousands, of criminal cases ranging from relatively minor misdemeanors to homicides and white collar crimes.
As a former prosecutor, Mr. Tilem has invaluable insight into the state's criminal justice system, which allows him to devise the most effective defense strategies for the accused. From his efforts, he has achieved a long record of securing acquittals, dismissals and reductions of charges for his clients, and he has gained a reputation as being among the leading trial lawyers in his region.
Among his most notable accolades, Mr. Tilem has earned an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with a Top 100 Trial Lawyer ranking from the National Trial Lawyers. He has also received a Best DWI Attorney rating along with many other top rankings and endorsements from his peers, and he has received Superb client ratings on Avvo.
Mr. Tilem has also published articles and conducted lectures and continuing legal education seminars across his region on a variety of legal topics, and he has appeared on various television news programs, such as 60 Minutes and CNN, where he has offered in-depth legal commentary on a wide range of legal topics. He also routinely volunteers his time and services to those less fortunate in his community.
Mr. Tilem is admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Maryland as well as before the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of Connecticut, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI, Criminal Defense: White Collar
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Domestic Violence, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law - Federal, DUI/DWI, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Parole, Probation, Sex Offenses, Theft, Traffic Violations, White Collar Crime
- 60% Criminal Defense
- 30% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Criminal Defense: White Collar
First Admitted: 1991, Connecticut
Professional Webpage: https://www.tilemlawfirm.com/peter-howard-tilem.html
- Excellence in Police Testimony, New York City Police Academy
- Speaker, Gun Law in New York, National Business Institute, 2017
- Speaker, Gun Law in New Jersey, 2017
- Federal Court in New Jersey
- State Court of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, The District of Connecticut, Connecticut, New York, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, United States Supreme Court, 2002
- Admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2009
- Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, 2009
- Carnegie-Mellon University, B.A., Bachelors of Arts Degrees in Economics and Biology
- Martindale AV rated, Martindale.com, 2017
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, www.thenationaltriallawyers.org, 2017
- Avvo Rated 10.0/10.0, AVVO.com, 2017
Office location for Peter Howard Tilem
188 East Post Road
White Plains, NY 10601-4911
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023