Richard A. Portale
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in White Plains, New YorkPortale Randazzo LLP
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense, DUI-DWI, Appellate; view more
Licensed in New York since: 1999
New York criminal defense attorney Richard A. Portale is known in and out of the courtroom for his passion, hard work, and commitment to justice. Mr. Portale has consistently fought for decades to protect the rights of his clients with a track record that that is second to none.
No matter the scope of the charges our clients are facing, Mr. Portale recognizes impact that results will have on the lives of his clients and their families. He represents his clients with empathy, zeal and a refreshingly direct approach.
Mr. Portale has been involved in numerous high-profile cases.
- In a defense case that garnered international media coverage, the People of the State of New York v. Angelika Graswald, Mr. Portale and his team masterfully crafted a defense after police claimed his Latvian immigrant client admitted she had murdered her fiancé in a kayak on the Hudson River in April, 2015. Undeterred by the murder charge and the evidence against his client, who faced a possible sentence of 25 years to life, Mr. Portale and his team worked tirelessly for over two years and were eventually able to overcome both Murder and Manslaughter, leveraging a plea to Criminal Negligence that allowed Ms. Graswald to be released before Christmas, 2017. Shortly after her release, Mr. Portale and co-counsel Anthony Piscionere took the fight to the Duchess County Probate Court, where they reached a confidential settlement surrounding the Life insurance proceeds of the deceased.
- Mr. Portale was co-counsel for Bill Clinton’s neighbor, Carlos Perez-Olivo (a criminal defense lawyer himself) who was charged with Second Degree Murder in 2008. At the trial, Mr. Portale was responsible for all the forensic evidence, in which he provided scientific proof that Mr. Olivo could not have been the one to shoot his wife.
- In 2009, Mr. Portale was a member of the defense team of former NFL linebacker Eric Naposki, who was arrested and charged with first degree murder in Newport Beach, California.
- In 2010, Mr. Portale was lead counsel for Westchester Police Officer James Pileggi on charges of Reckless Manslaughter for shooting and killing a friend in his car at point blank range – with his own off duty firearm. That trial resulted in a hung jury.
- Immediately following the Pileggi trial, Mr. Portale defended Terry Carver, a longshoreman accused of breaking a screen, climbing in the window of his girlfriend’s apartment and stabbing her lover nine times in the chest and torso. Mr. Carver was acquitted in six hours. In 2017, he and his partner James A. Randazzo founded the firm Portale Randazzo LLP, which concentrates on both criminal and civil defense.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI, Appellate, Business Litigation, Constitutional Law, Criminal Defense: White Collar
Appeals, Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Domestic Violence, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Criminal Law - Federal, DUI/DWI, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Probation, Prosecution, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, White Collar Crime
- 40% Criminal Defense
- 20% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Appellate
- 10% Business Litigation
- 10% Constitutional Law
- 10% Criminal Defense: White Collar
First Admitted: 1999, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.portalerandazzo.com/attorney-profiles/richard-a-...
- People of the State of New York v. Angelika Graswald
- Super Lawyers, 2018, 2019, 2020
- , Top 100 DWI Attorneys - New York City - Recognized by the National Advocacy for DUI Defense, LLC – for 2014 and 2015
- , American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys - Client Satisfaction Award - 10 Best – for 2015 and 2016
- , Lawyers of Distinction - for Excellence in Criminal Defense Law – for 2018
- National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys - Nationally Ranked - Top 10 Attorney Award – for 2018
- , Westchester Top Attorneys, Westchester Magazine - Selected by peer recognition and professional achievement – October 2019
- American Institute of Trial Lawyers, Litigator of the Year, Criminal Law – for 2019
- Hudson Valley’s Top Lawyers – for 2021
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys, Lifetime Achievement
- , National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2015, 2016, 2018
- Global Directory of Who’s Who, top lawyer 2016
- Lawyers of Distinction top 10% in the USA, Criminal Law
- National College for DUI Defense, Member, 2017
- National Advocacy for DUI Defense, Top 100 DWI Attorneys, New York City
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, “10 Best” in client Satisfaction
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2019
- United States Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division Second Department
- New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division Fourth Department
- New York State Bar Association (Criminal Law Section)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Columbian Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Westchester County Bar Association
- University of Buffalo, Undergraduate Degree
Office location for Richard A. Portale
245 Main Street
White Plains, NY 10601
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023