Stanley A. Tomkiel, III
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in White Plains, New YorkTomkiel & Tomkiel
Stanley A. Tomkiel, III is a personal injury attorney and partner at the law firm of Tomkiel & Tomkiel. His firm has offices in White Plains and Yonkers, New York, and he works out of the White Plains location, serving clients throughout Westchester County and the neighboring region. His legal career spans over 41 years, and he provides the highest level of representation and assistance to individuals and families whose lives are disrupted as a result of someone else's negligent or illegal behavior.
With experience managing all varieties of intricate personal injury and wrongful death cases, Mr. Tomkiel has procured millions in settlements and verdicts for clients who were injured due to motor vehicle collisions, worksite/construction mishaps, medical negligence, unprotected premises, defective products and other avoidable disasters.
After completing his B.A. at Manhattan College in 1972, Mr. Tomkiel graduated with his Juris Doctor from the Western New England University School of Law in 1978. He is permitted to practice in both Florida and New York, and he has been granted admittance to litigate before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Southern Districts of New York.
Mr. Tomkiel has achieved various outstanding honors, including being rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell and recognized by New York Magazine as one of New York's Top Rated Lawyers in 2012. Furthermore, the New York Law Journal has acknowledged his success in procuring some of the highest settlements and verdicts in New York, whilst also commending him for notable ratings from his peers. Additionally, he has been offered membership in the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and rated "Superb" on Avvo.
Numerous resolutions and judgments from Mr. Tomkiel’s cases have been reported in both local and nationwide publications such as the New York Law Journal, the New York Jury Verdict Reporter and the ATLA Law Reporter. He has lectured at continuing legal education sessions of numerous legal organizations focusing on diverse topics associated with personal injury law as well as other tort matters.
Known for his selflessness and kindness, Mr. Tomkiel often volunteers his time and legal services to those in need. For his extraordinary aid and pro bono services to people impacted by the 2001 World Trade Center attacks, he has been granted the Pro Bono Award from the Firefighters Burn Foundation of both Westchester and Putnam in New York as well as a recognition certificate from the New York State Trial Lawyers Association. Additionally, he was presented an award in honor of his contribution to religious and civic freedoms from the County of Westchester.
A former president of the Yonkers Lawyers' Association, Mr. Tomkiel holds active memberships in the Bronx County Bar Association, the American Association for Justice, the New York State Trial Lawyers Association and the Florida Justice Association. He also served as the chair of the Westchester County Bar Association – Workers’ Compensation Committee.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ falls into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- 100% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1979, New York
Professional Webpage: https://tomkiel.com/attorneys/stanley-a-tomkiel-iii/
- Workers Compensation Alliance
- Injured Workers Bar Association
- Town of Somers, New York Zoning Board of Appeals, Member 1983-1987
- Florida Justice Association
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers
- Eastchester Bar Association
- Westchester Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Committee, Chairperson 1983-1987
- Civil Justice Foundation, Founding Sponsor
- Yonkers Lawyers Association, President 1995 – 1996
- Westchester County Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Bronx County Bar Association
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- Florida, 1987
- New York, 1979
- Pro Bono Award, Fire Fighters Burn Foundation of Westchester and Putnam, New York
- Certificate of Appreciation, NYS Trial Lawyers Association for Extraordinary Service for Pro Bono work for victims of September, 11, 2001 World Trade Center Attacks
- Award in Recognition of Service to the Cause of Religious and Civil Liberties, County of Westchester
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum – The Top Trial Lawyers In America (R)
- New York Magazine’s “Top Rated Lawyers” in 2012
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum – TheTop Trial Lawyers In America (R)
- AV rating, Martindale Hubbell
- New York Law Journal’s “Top New York Verdict’s of 2011” (lead counsel: Henry v. J.E. Levine Builder)
- New York Law Journal’s “Top New York Settlements of 2012” (lead counsel: Oo v. Prompt Apparel Inc.)
- Protecting Plaintiff’s Rights When Settling the Third-Party Action, Bill of Particulars, Vol. II, NYS Trial Lawyers Institute (c) 2012
- The Social Security Answer Book: Practical Answers to More Than 200 Questions on Social Security, Sphinx Publishing, An Imprint of Sourcebooks, Inc. (c) 2008
- The Social Security Benefits Handbook (editions 1 through 5), Sphinx Publishing, An Imprint of Sourcebooks, Inc. (c) 2008
- Manhattan College, 1972
- Homeowner standing on driveway struck by vehicle sliding off snowy roadway, suffering serious leg fracture. Settled at mediation for $425,000, Westchester County., 2020
- Truck driver offloading a wrapped bundle of groceries on a pallet suffered a serious ankle fracture when the bundle loosened and shifted, causing a loss of control, requiring the plaintiff to jump out of the way. Case settled before trial for $750,000, New York County., 2019
- Walmart worker helping unload a flatbed trailer was knocked off when he cut a shipping strap on a bundle of barricades, suffering a serious elbow fracture. Settled before trial for $280,000, Westchester County., 2019
- Home attendant fell on stairs in private house, suffered a nasal fracture and back sprain. Settled before jury selection for $150,000, Westchester County., 2019
- Unmarried college student, no children, was struck by speeding car and killed instantly. No pain and suffering, no dependents. Wrongful death claim by parents for loss of household contributions. Settled at trial for $650,000, Westchester County., 2018
- Milk delivery man slipped on ice on loading dock, suffered low back and right hip soft tissue injuries. Settled during trial for $537,500, Westchester County., 2018
- Carpenter using table saw suffered partial amputation of thumb when board kicked back. Owner of shop claimed carpenter was solely at fault for misusing saw. Settled before trial for $325,000, Kings County., 2018
- Passenger on derailed Metro North Train suffered serious back injury requiring surgery and causing permanent disability. Settled at trial for $2.99 million, New York County, 2017
- Tenant at Condo premises slipped on ice covered parking lot, sustaining serious ankle fracture. Settled at Court Conference, Westchester County for $225,000, 2017
- Electrician at construction site suffered burn injuries to face and arms when electric box arced causing a flash explosion. Settled before trial for $575,000, New York County., 2016
- Construction worker fell from loose beam, suffering fracture of eye socket and head injury with permanent disability. Settled at trial for $3.5 million, Kings County, 2015
Office location for Stanley A. Tomkiel, III
925 Westchester Ave
White Plains, NY 10604
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023