John C. Hensley, Jr.
Top rated Medical Malpractice attorney in Asheville, North CarolinaHensley, Cloninger & Greer, P.C.
Attorney John C. Hensley, Jr., is the managing partner with Hensley Cloninger & Greer law firm in Asheville, North Carolina. A nationally ranked trial attorney with more than 30 years of legal experience, Mr. Hensley provides exceptional representation and support to clients throughout the Asheville, Hickory and Charlotte metros and all regions in between who are dealing with complex legal challenges arising from any of the following:
· Medical malpractice
· Birth injuries and cerebral palsy
· Personal injury
· Automobile and trucking accidents
· Workers' compensation
· Products liability
Throughout the course of his practice, Mr. Hensley has achieved considerable success advocating on behalf of individuals and families suffering needlessly through no fault of their own. From his efforts, he has recovered millions of dollars in total compensation for his plaintiff clients, and he has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell and other top rankings and endorsements from his peers. He has also received numerous testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients as a result of his unwavering dedication to helping them achieve the justice they deserve.
After graduating cum laude from Mars Hill University in 1986, Mr. Hensley attended The University of North Carolina School of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1989. He is admitted to practice before all State and U.S. District Courts in North Carolina, and he has received pro hac vice admission to practice in South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri, as well as before the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
Along with maintaining a successful legal practice, Mr. Hensley is highly active in his legal community, and he is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association, the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and the 28th Judicial District Bar, among his other professional affiliations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Workers' Compensation: Claimant
Birth Injury, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Medical Malpractice, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 70% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 20% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10% Workers' Compensation: Claimant
First Admitted: 1989, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.hc-firm.com/attorney/hensley-john-c-jr/
- My family was devastated with the loss of our mother from medical negligence. I spoke with two other lawyers before John Hensley. When he heard our story he gave us hope. The whole staff at the Law Firm is very nice and understanding. I would highly recommend them. B.B.Marion, North Carolina John Hensley and his staff were the first ones to even consider my son’s case. After speaking with John we knew that he was the lawyer for us. He was laid back and not uptight, and he took the time to explain the legal process to us and told us what we should expect. We appreciated the fact that he was honest about everything and he did not hold anything back. He asked us a lot of good questions and he also answered the questions that we had. It was obvious that John actually cared about and had our son’s best interest at heart. The legal team at The Law Firm of John C. Hensley, Jr., P.C. is one of the nicest group of people we have ever dealt with. We were kept informed as our case developed and they were prompt to contact us if they needed additional information. We were treated like family. I would recommend them to anyone! I want to thank them for everything and let them know that I love them like family! R.D. Selma, North Carolina I was referred to John C. Hensley, Jr. after another lawyer's office declined my case. I reluctantly accepted the referral, because the whole situation had already taken a lot out of me. John Hensley and his staff held my hand throughout the whole process. They didn't make me feel like I was bothering them by asking so many questions. They made sure I understood everything that was going on. It was an emotional journey, but it is also a journey that I'm glad I took. They have really been a blessing to me and my son." L.C.Hope Mills, North Carolina If you are looking for a lawyer who is full of love, has passion, dedication, a sense of humor, is loyal, invested, smart, honest, trustworthy, responsive, goes beyond the call of duty and is determined, then John C. Hensley, Jr. is your man! I am the mother of a beautiful 11-year with Cerebral Palsy. My child was born after 8 minutes without oxygen to her brain, 28 minutes without a heartbeat, a crushed right hip, and stretched nerves in her right shoulder and the inability to suck, all due to a medical mistake. I prayed on that day that if God let her live I would take care of her however I had to. John heard my family's story and knew the deal that I had made with God. He looked at me saying, "What you are about to face with raising your daughter is not going to be easy and will probably be for the rest of your life. Let me see if we can make that journey a little easier for your daughter and your family." John gained my trust when he visited my home in Charlotte, North Carolina. He wanted to see my family in our environment. The day he pulled up in front of my home, I watched the big white man get out of his car, knock on my door, sit on my couch and hold a regular conversation with us. He never once seemed uncomfortable being in a low income, high crime, predominately Black inner-city community. He is very down to earth and accepting of all people. I trusted John because he was just like me, he wanted me to know who he was and for me to understand the he was different from what I may have perceived of him as an attorney. Whether he knows it or not…when we first told him our story, his eyes were full of tears…to this day he is still invested in the progress of our daughter and the success of our family. This case was closed over 5 years ago and when we call with a question, he is still very responsive." Z.M.Charlotte, North Carolina Following the birth of our son, we needed an attorney. He had been through a horrible delivery and ended up with Cerebral Palsy, and would have significant medical problems and financial needs throughout his life. I had never been to an attorney and had many questions. I made an appointment with John Hensley, and upon meeting him, I realized that he was a very caring and compassionate person who wanted to find the truth about what happened. We developed more than an attorney-client relationship; our relationship became a lifelong friendship. He worked diligently on our case for eight long years. Through the good, the bad and the unpleasant memories of the delivery, John Hensley helped us. I can't say enough about John Hensley. I feel that God led us to him because He knew that John would do everything possible so that the truth would be found. It has been 17 years and we still communicate. He is truly a blessing. If you need an attorney who will pull you through a hard situation and find the truth, and fight for you, this is the attorney for you." K.T.Candler, North Carolina.
- Just a few of our verdicts and settlements: $5.9 MILLION VERDICT - Served as lead trial attorney and obtained the largest single plaintiff's verdict on record in Western North Carolina on behalf of a 5-year-old boy with cerebral palsy allegedly caused by the negligence of his doctor during a vacuum extraction delivery. Additional amounts were obtained for the parents. $4.75 MILLION SETTLEMENT - On behalf of child who suffered brain damage allegedly caused by a delay in proper diagnosis and treatment. $3.25 MILLION, $2.35 MILLION, $2 MILLION, $2 MILLION, $1.55 MILLION, $1.5 MILLION and $1.1 MILLION in SETTLEMENTS - On behalf of children with brain damage and cerebral palsy allegedly caused by medical negligence during their delivery. $850,000 SETTLEMENT - On behalf of 64-year-old man with partial paralysis allegedly caused by physician's failure to properly diagnose a spinal fracture following a fall. $330,000 SETTLEMENT - Workers' Compensation - On behalf of woman with back injuries and chronic pain following fall at work. $290,000 SETTLEMENT - Workers' Compensation - On behalf of woman who sustained a back injury at work. $175,000 SETTLEMENT - Workers' Compensation - On behalf of man who sustained a knee injury at work. $200,000 SETTLEMENT - With an insurance company on behalf of a disabled professional who was denied benefits under their long-term disability policy.
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- United States District Court — Maryland
- Pro hac vice admission in South Carolina
- Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- Middle Districts of North Carolina
- Western Districts of North Carolina
- North Carolina, 1989
- U.S. District Court
- Mars Hill College, B.A., cum laude, 1986
- Peer-review rated, John C. Hensley, Jr. was given an AV-Preeminent Rating through Martindale-Hubbell. To earn this rating other attorneys and judges rate that attorney based on their experiences with that particular attorney. This is the highest rating given by Martindale-Hubbell., AV-Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Office location for John C. Hensley, Jr.
366 Merrimon Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2024