John M. McCabe
Top rated personal injury attorney in Cary, North CarolinaThe Law Offices of John M. McCabe, P.A.
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Workers' compensation
Licensed in North Carolina since: 1994
John M. McCabe has dedicated his legal career to seeking justice for those who have been injured by the negligence of others. His firm, John M. McCabe Law Offices PA, in Cary, North Carolina, represents clients hurt in a range of situations, including car accidents, work-related incidents, truck collisions, medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, defective products and slip-and-fall accidents.
Mr. McCabe earned his undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and his law degree from Campbell University School of Law. After graduating with honors from law school, he initially worked for a law firm that defended claims filed by insured individuals.
After learning how insurance companies and large businesses attempt to use the legal system to maximize their profits, Mr. McCabe began to represent accident victims. In 1995, he changed firms and has since sought compensation on behalf of injured clients throughout the country.
Known for a strong work ethic and attention to detail, Mr. McCabe has participated in ground-breaking lawsuits. In 2000, he took on a case involving a mother and daughter who were hurt in a head-on collision with a Department of Transportation pickup truck. He successfully challenged North Carolina's recovery cap for victims injured by the state. This case brought about a change in law that increased the cap from $150,000 to $500,000.
Recognized for his dedication to professional excellence, John McCabe has received an AV rating* from Martindale-Hubbell. He is a platinum member of the Verdict Club, an elite group of litigators who have achieved verdicts or settlements in excess of $1 million. Further, Mr. McCabe has been selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America and Top 100 Trial Lawyers in North Carolina.
Mr. McCabe is licensed to practice in all North Carolina federal and state courts, and he is an active member of the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American Association for Justice. He shares his legal knowledge and experience by teaching legal concepts and advocacy skills to other lawyers and law students, as well as publishing written articles.
* AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Workers' compensation
- 70% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 30% Workers' compensation
First Admitted: 1994, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://mccabelawoffices.com/john-m-mccabe-profile/
- Executive Committee of Auto Torts Section, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010
- Campbell University, President's Club
- Association of Plaintiff's Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, 2008 - Present
- United States Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- United States District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- American Association of Justice, 1999 - Present
- United State Supreme Court
- All North Carolina State Courts
- United States District Court Western District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Advocates of Justice
- Wake County Bar Association, 1994 - Present
- United States District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in North Carolina, as selected by the American Association for justice, an special-invitation-only association for lawyers who exemplify superior qualifications.
- Best Lawyers In America, as selected by fellow attorneys
- Platinum Member, The Verdict Club, an elite society of litigators that have been awarded verdicts and settlements exceeding one million dollars
- Top 10% of law school class
- AV Rated (exceptional legal ability and highest level of ethics) Martindale Hubbell.
- Member, National Moot Court Teams, Campbell University School of Law
- In 2000, Mr. McCabe represented a young mother and her daughter in a case against the State of North Carolina for serious injuries that they suffered when their mini-van was struck head-on by a Department of Transportation dump truck. At that time, the damages cap under the State Tort Claims act was $150,000, which was less than half of the mother's medical bills. Through John's efforts, he was not only able to persuade the General Assembly to increase the cap to $500,000, but he also instituted ground-breaking lawsuits that resulted in the family recovering a settlement that was more than 10 times the amount initially offered by the State.
- Volunteer with the North Carolina Lawyers Assistance Program; Extraordinary Minister, Sacred Heart Cathedral.
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, A.B. in Economics, 1991
- Chair, Author & Speaker, "Trucking Litigation and D.O.T. Regulations", Lorman Seminar, 2007
- Author & Speaker, "The Doctrine of Statutory Employment: Holding Motor Carries Liable for The Negligence of Leased Vehicles & Drivers", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers, 2005
- Author & Speaker, "Achieving Favorable Settlements in North Carolina", National Business Institute, 2005
- Author & Speaker, "The In's and Out's of Civil Discovery", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers' Continuing Legal Education Program, 2004
- Coordinating Editor, North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers' TRIAL BRIEF Publication, 2004
- Author, "The Rules of the Road - Understanding the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers' TRIAL BRIEF Publication, February, 2004
- Author & Speaker, "Advanced Civil Discovery", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers’ Winter Convention, 2003
- Guest Lecturer, Trial Advocacy Courses, University of North Carolina School of Law, 2001, 2002, 2003
- Speaker & Author, North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers’ Continuing Legal Education Program, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- Coordinating Editor, "Handling Your First Jury Trial From A to Z", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers’ TRIAL BRIEF Publication, December, 2002
- Speaker & Author, "The Rules of Civil Discovery", Institute For Paralegal Education’s Advanced Civil Discovery For The Litigation Paralegal In North C, September, 2002
- Speaker & Author, "Setting Up The Winning Deposition", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers Continuing Education Program, January, 2002
- Speaker, "Representing Psychological Injured Workers In Workers’ Compensation Claims", North Carolina Industrial Commission’s Sixth Annual North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational, August 14-16, 2001
- Guest Lecturer, "Medicine for Lawyers", Campbell University Norman A. Wiggins School Of Law, 2001
- Speaker & Author, "Effective Use of Exhibits and Experts in Auto Torts Cases", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers’ Winter Convention, October, 2000
- Speaker, "Effective Representation of Parties to Form 24 Informal Hearings", North Carolina Industrial Commission’s Third Annual North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational, September 14-16, 1998
- Author, "Examining DiDonato’s Damage Limitations And Mandatory Joinder Requirements - Greer v. Parsons", CAMPBELL LAW REVIEW, 1992
- Articles Editor, Campbell Law Review, Campbell University School of Law
- Author, "McCabe Outlines"
- Author, "Exhibits in Personal Injury Cases", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers' TRIAL BRIEF Publication, July, 2001
- Co-Chair, "Getting the Most Out of Your Personal Injury Case: Winning, Collecting, and Keeping Your Damages", North Carolina Academy Of Trial Lawyers Continuing Legal Education Program, January, 2001
- "The Analysis & Investigation of Personal Injury Cases," which is the opening chapter in the bestselling book "Personal Injury Practice in North Carolina." It is the book used by lawyers throughout this State on how to effectively represent clients in personal injury cases., Author, 2011
- Author, North Carolina Advocates For Justice, 2010
- Chair, "Nuts and Bolts of Personal Injury Practice", North Carolina Advocates For Justice, 2009
- Author & Speaker, "The Investigation and Handling of Personal Injury Cases", North Carolina Advocates For Justice, 2009
- Author & Speaker, "Putting The Hammer Down on Unsafe Trucks", North Carolina Advocates For Justice, 2008
Office location for John M. McCabe
1130 Kildaire Farm Road
Cary, NC 27511
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2023