Paul A. DeJesse, Jr.
Top rated Family Law attorney in Charlotte, North CarolinaHatcher Law Group, PC
Paul A. DeJesse Jr. is a partner at the Hatcher Law Group, P.C., which is located in Charlotte and Davidson, North Carolina. He serves clients in both locations from his office in Charlotte, North Carolina, helping them with all sorts of legal matters related to family law.
Licensed to practice in all the state courts of North Carolina, Mr. DeJesse is a graduate of the Touro University Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, earning his Juris Doctor in 1995. Prior to joining law school, he received his undergraduate degree from Lehigh University in 1991. Limiting his practice to legal relationships related to marriage, its creation, dissolution and other matrimonial law matters, he is board-certified in family law by the North Carolina State Bar's Board of Legal Specialization since 2009.
Recognized by the legal community for his many achievements in the field, Mr. DeJesse is named to the list of The Best Lawyers in America for Family Law (2019-2022). He has received an AV Preeminent* peer-review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and was chosen as their Elite Lawyer of the South in 2018 and 2019. Moreover, he has been honored by Safe Alliance as the recipient of the 2019 Commitment to Justice Award.
Furthermore, Mr. DeJesse is listed in Business North Carolina magazine’s Legal Elite in Family Law and in The National Advocates: Top 100 Lawyers. He is also the president-elect of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers’ North Carolina Chapter and a member of the New York Family Law American Inn of Court.
Actively involved in his legal circle and local community, Mr. DeJesse holds leadership positions and memberships across many prominent organizations. He is a part of the following:
· North Carolina Advocates for Justice
· Suffolk County Bar Association
· Nassau County Bar Association
· Mecklenburg County Bar
· Justice Bobbitt American Inn of Court
· Business Leaders of Charlotte
· Men for Change
Mr. DeJesse is also involved in many Continuing Legal Education programs and shares his legal knowledge through lectures and seminars across North Carolina.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1995, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: https://hatcherlawgroup.com/attorneys/paul-a-dejesse-jr/
- Speaker: “Child Custody Overview,” Charlotte Christian School, Charlotte, North Carolina, January 11, 2007
- Men For Change, Former Committee Member
- Lehigh University, B.A., 1991
- North Carolina Board Certified Specialist in Family Law
- Nassau County Bar Association, Former member of the Family Court Committee
- Suffolk County Bar Association, Former member of the Matrimonial and Family Law Committee
- Justice Bobbitt Inn of Court, Member
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Board of Examiners, North Carolina Chapter, 2022-2023
- North Carolina, 2006
- President-Elect for the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers North Carolina Chapter., 2023
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - North Carolina Chapter - Secretary, 2022
- Speaker: Confidentiality Agreements and Protective Orders, 2021
- Speaker: Family Law Intensive Seminar "Divisible Property and Divisible Debt" in Wrightsville Beach, January 30, 2020. Sponsored by North Carolina Bar Association Family Law Section.
- Program Chair: Family Law Specialization Exam Review CLE, September 6, 2019, in Cary, NC., 2019
- Co-Planner: Family Law Board Certified Specialist Conference in Kiawah, South Carolina, 2019
- Member of the NCAJ Diversity and Inclusion Task Force.
- Program Co-Chair: "Discovery Tool Box for the Family Law Litigator", Raleigh, N.C., February 2019., 2019
- Family Law Section Chair, North Carolina Advocates for Justice (2nd term: July 2019 - June 2020), 2019
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice - Vice Chair, Family Law Section, 2017
- Admitted to New York Bar, 1996
- 2018 Program Co-chair: Family Law Specialization Exam Review Seminar sponsored by North Carolina Advocates for Justice in Raleigh, NC.
- Program Moderator: "As Family Court Judges See It: Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Litigating Divorce," National Business Institute's Judicial Forum, November 3, 2017
- Board Certified Specialist in Family Law
- Author: "How to Protect Your Client from a Biased Child Custody Evaluation Report", published in Trial Briefs Magazine., 2019
- Speaker: “Separation, Property Settlement and Alimony Agreements,” 2004, Hauppauge, New York, sponsored by the Suffolk County Bar Association
- Panelist: Participated in a domestic violence panel discussion for the TV series “A Healthier Charlotte,” May 2012
- Mecklenburg County Women’s Commission, Family Law Clinic Guest Lecturer, 2006-present
- North Carolina Bar Association Annual Family Law Meeting, Speaker, Confidentiality Agreements and Protective Orders, 2021
- Speaker: "Divisible Property and Divisible Debt" at the 2019 Family Law Intensive Seminar (Complex Emerging Issues in Family Law), held on November 14, in Charlotte, North Carolina. Sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association, 2019
- Speaker: Depositions - Discovery Toolbox for the Family Law Litigator, February 21, 2019, Raleigh, NC, Co-Planner/Speaker, 2019
- "Cryptocurrency as an Asset in Divorce", Family Law Specialists Conference, Kiawah, South Carolina, August 16, 2019., Speaker, 2019
- Speaker for a North Carolina Bar Association Intensive Equitable Distribution Seminar, Raleigh, North Carolina, 2010
- Sponsored by NCAJ, Speaker, Family Law Board Certified Specialists Exam Review CLE "Equitable Distribution", 2018
- Speaker for American Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Seminar "Alimony 101"., Speaker, 2007
- Served as an Adjunct Faculty Member for the Suffolk Academy of Law in New York. Participated in matrimonial trial practice demonstrations and lectured on drafting settlement agreements., Adjunct Faculty, 2003
- Speaker, Family & Matrimonial Law in the 21st Century, LawReview CLE, 2013
- Speaker: "What to expect at your first custody hearing and the best evidence to put on during a custody trial/hearing," sponsored by the Mecklenburg County Bar Family Law Section., Speaker, 2016
- Speaker, "Navigating Complex Asset Cases", Advanced Family Law Seminar, 2016
- Speaker for North Carolina Bar Association Fondation Seminar "Premarital and Separation Agreements", 2016
- Speaker, Child Custody and Visitation Rights, Asheville, North Carolina, August 1, 2017
- Speaker, Drafting Enforceable Terms in Consent Orders and Agreements, 2017
- Speaker: "Valuing and Dividing Assets", February 5, 2018. Sponsored by National Business Institute., 2018
- Speaker: "Best Practices in Preparing for a Custody Hearing", February 13, 2018. Sponsored by the Mecklenburg County Bar Family Law Section., 2018
- Speaker: "How and when to direct and cross-examine mental health experts in child custody cases", at the 2018 National Trial Lawyers Summit in Miami, Florida., 2018
- Elected as a Fellow to the International Academy of Family Lawyers., Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers, 2023
- Selected for membership in Lawyers of Distinction., Member, Lawyers of Distinction, 2022
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America., Best Lawyers in America., 2023
- Selected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers., Fellow, 2020
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating., Marindale-Hubbell, 2022
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America., Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- Named to North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2014 - 2022, Super Lawyers Magazine
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America., Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- Representation and trial advocacy to victims seeking a Domestic Violence Protection Order, 2019, Recipient of Commitment to Justice Award , Legal Representation Program (LRP) of Safe Alliance
- Named to Best Lawyers in America for Family Law, 2019 - 2022, Best Lawyers
- Named one of the Ten Leaders in Matrimonial and Divorce Law in Long Island, New York Age 45 & Under, 2005, Ten Leaders
- Selected to Legal Elite for Family Law in 2013 and 2015., Legal Elite for Family Law, Business North Carolina Magazine, 2013
- Named by The National Advocates organization as Top 100 attorneys in the State of North Carolina in 2017 and 2018.
- Accepted as a Member of the New York Family Law American Inn of Court., 2005
- Received the highest rating possible for ethical standards and legal ability, 2013 - 2022, AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected as an Elite Lawyer of the South, Martindale Hubbell, and ALM Media, 2018 - 2019, Martindale Hubbell
Office location for Paul A. DeJesse, Jr.
801 East Trade Street
Charlotte, NC 28202