William H. Elam
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Charlotte, NC
- Free Consultation
Attorney William H. Elam is a senior partner and the founder of Elam & Rousseaux, PLLC, PLLC, in Charlotte, North Carolina. Mr. Elam focuses his practice on medical malpractice and personal injury law, representing injured clients throughout the Charlotte metropolitan area. He has reviewed over 1,000 medical cases and settled more than 250 medical cases.
Mr. Elam has more than 40 years of experience and has litigated hundreds of jury trials. He focuses his practice on personal injury and medical malpractice law since 1985 and is licensed before all North Carolina state courts, the U.S. District Courts for the Middle, Eastern and Western Districts of Ohio, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Elam has earned recognition such as an AV Preeminent* peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell. This is the highest rating awarded by the prominent organization and reflects the highest standard of legal capability and ethical principles.
Outside of the office, Mr. Elam has taught classes on topics including expert witnesses, jury selection, medical malpractice and nursing home litigation. He is active in the legal community and belongs to the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and the American Association for Justice.
Mr. Elam obtained a bachelor’s degree in business from East Carolina University and earned his law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law. He holds certifications in civil pretrial practice and civil trial advocacy from the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Before representing injured plaintiffs, he litigated civil and criminal cases and represented health care providers and physicians in malpractice matters.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 80%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 20%Professional Liability: Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2007, 2014 - 2023
Certificates and Credentials
About William H. Elam
First Admitted: 1972, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.elamlawfirm.com/attorneys/william-bill-elam/
- Mr. Elam has been a speaker at multiple seminars for attorneys on a number of topics, including medical malpractice, use o expert witnesses, cross examination of experts/adverse witnesses and other areas of trial practice.
- Review of Domestic Law, USC Law Review, 1971 Mr. Elam has been a speaker at numerous seminar for attorneys on topics including jury selection, use of expert witnesses, handling of medical malpractice, cross examination of experts/adverse witnesses and other topics.
- “AV” rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- “Top Super Lawyer” , North Carolina, 2006-2007, 2014-2016
- In the area of Criminal Procedure, American Jurisprudence Award, Lawyers Co-Operative Publishing Company, 1970
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- American Association for Justice
- Civil Trial Pre-Trial Practice, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2000
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Chair, Professional Negligence Section of North Carolina Advocates for Justice 1998-2001 on Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar Association, 2011
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- North Carolina, 1972
- East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, A.B., Major: Business, 1967
- Board certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy---- 2012----board certified in Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy, 2000
Last Updated: 8/6/2022