A. Jose Cortina
Top Rated Intellectual Property Attorney in Durham, NC
An attorney at Durham, North Carolina-based Olive & Olive, P.A. A. Jose Cortina focuses his practice primarily on patent law and other intellectual property matters. He has been admitted to practice in North Carolina, and he represents clients across the entire state. Fluent in Spanish and French as well as in English, Mr. Cortina is also admitted to practice in Florida, Virginia and the District of Columbia, and he is additionally admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 4th, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits.
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Mr. Cortina has handled numerous applications for both of those types of properties. His experience has additionally encompassed copyrights and domain names, and he has worked on licensing agreements as well as litigation involving infringement on his clients’ ownership interests. Mr. Cortina has an extensive background in the preparation and review of business and technology agreements, and he assists his clients in their due diligence of intellectual property issues in the event of acquisitions.
Mr. Cortina’s clients come from a variety of industry groups, including health care, research institutions, electronics, mechanical devices, internet, and computer hardware and software. Widely recognized as one of the leading attorneys in his field, he has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell along with numerous other honors. A 1979 graduate of the American University Washington College of Law, Mr. Cortina’s professional memberships include the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About A. Jose Cortina
First Admitted: 1979
Professional Webpage: https://www.oliveandolive.com/our-team/a-jose-cortina/
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- Virginia (1981)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal and Fourth Circuit
- North Carolina (1999)
- Florida (1992)
- Past Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Intellectual Property Section
- District of Columbia (1979)
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association (Member, Section on: Intellectual Property Law (council member))
- Licensing Executives Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Triangle Intellectual Property Law Association
Pro bono/Community Service
- St. Michael Catholic Church
- Preeminent in the Martindale and Hubbell directory of attorneys
- North Carolina’s Legal Elite
- North Carolina “Super Lawyer” – selected by Super Lawyers 2006 – 2008
- American University (B.S., Physics, and B.S., Distributed Science, 1976)
Last Updated: 12/15/2020