Emilia I. Beskind
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Durham, North CarolinaThomas, Ferguson & Beskind, LLP
Emilia I. Beskind is a partner at Thomas, Ferguson & Beskind, LLP, in Durham, North Carolina. Her professional endeavors encompass a broad spectrum, as she adeptly caters to a diverse clientele across the city. She focuses on providing comprehensive legal assistance in areas such as campus disciplinary proceedings involving Title IX hearings, civil litigation matters and instances of plagiarism.
Within the domain of criminal defense, Ms. Beskind has experience with cases related to sexual assault, drug offenses and murder charges. She also takes on matters related to crisis management, showcasing a well-rounded approach to her legal practice. Furthermore, she stands out as an accomplished trial attorney with a remarkable track record. Her competence shines through, as she has effectively handled numerous high-stake felony cases in the courts of the District of Columbia, Louisiana and North Carolina.
Beyond her trial work, Ms. Beskind is dedicated to imparting her courtroom experiences to fellow attorneys. Moreover, she functions as a faculty member at the Anthony G. Amsterdam Capital Post-Conviction Skills Seminar. She also plays an active role in training other legal professionals through programs organized by the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
Ms. Beskind possesses a distinct inclination towards the process of jury selection and has authored literature and delivered instructional sessions in collaboration with David Ball, a widely acclaimed authority in the field of jury behavior and selection on a national scale. Additionally, her proficiency is further evident in her engagements as a speaker at continuing legal education seminars.
Having obtained her J.D. from Duke University School of Law in 2008, Ms. Beskind held the position as director of the Innocence Project and was an active participant in the Mock Trial Board. In 2010, she pursued her LL.M. in criminal advocacy from Georgetown University Law Center. During this period, she distinguished herself as an E. Barrett Prettyman Fellow.
A renowned figure in the legal community, Ms. Beskind holds membership in the International Society of Barristers, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the North Carolina Advocates for Justice. She also served on the board of directors of the Duke University Law Alumni Association from 2015 to 2021, showing her commitment to supporting legal academics and professionals. In addition, she has an “Excellent” rating on Avvo.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Schools & Education, Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Murder, Schools, Sex Offenses
- 50% Criminal Defense
- 40% Schools & Education
- 10% Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2008, Washington DC
Professional Webpage: https://tfblawyers.com/emilia-beskind/
- Legal Education Seminars on Criminal Defense for the Eastern District of NC Federal Defenders
- Legal Education Seminars on Criminal Defense for the North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- North Carolina
- Board of Directors of the Duke University Law Alumni Association, 2015-2021
- Selected as a member of International Society of Barristers, Membership is by invitation only which is proceeded by a rigorous screening process that considers the lawyer’s ability, experience, accomplishments and ethical standards as assessed by trial lawyers and judges, 2019
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- LL.M. (Master of Laws in Criminal Advocacy), Georgetown University Law Center where she was an E. Barrett Prettyman Graduate Clinical Teaching Fellow, 2010
- Board of Directors of the Duke University Law Alumni Association, 2018
Office location for Emilia I. Beskind
119 East Main Street
Durham, NC 27701
- Super Lawyers: 2023 - 2024