Top rated family law attorney in Durham, North CarolinaEllis Family Law, P.L.L.C.
Attorney Gray Ellis is the founder and managing partner of Ellis Family Law, P.L.L.C., which has law offices in Durham and Pittsboro, North Carolina. Board-certified as a family law specialist by the North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Ellis has over 20 years of legal experience, and he provides unmatched counsel and support to clients across his region who are going through a divorce or have some other serious legal issue affecting their families.
As an attorney, Mr. Ellis has gained a reputation for the highly personalized counsel he provides to all he serves to help his clients make the best-informed decisions regarding child custody and support, property division, alimony and other related matters. As a parent who has gone through a marital separation himself, he has a great deal of empathy for his clients, and he delivers the quality, effective representation they need with the utmost compassion and integrity.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Ellis has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell and recognition from The Best Lawyers in America along with many other top rankings and endorsements from his peers. He has also received 10 out of 10 client ratings on Avvo as well as numerous testimonials and referrals from those he has served.
A 1994 honors graduate of North Carolina State University, Mr. Ellis obtained his Juris Doctor cum laude from North Carolina Central University School of Law in December of 2001. Over the course of his legal career, he has served as a juvenile court counselor in Wake County, and he has conducted many lectures and continuing legal education seminars on a variety of topics related to divorce, equitable distribution, gender studies and other subjects.
Mr. Ellis is current member of the Durham County Bar Associate and a former member of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice and former chair of the North Carolina Family Bar's Modern Family Committee. He also supports his local community through his involvement with various civic and charitable organizations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Prenuptial agreements, Mediation & collaborative law
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 2002, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.ellisfamilylaw.com/attorney/gray-ellis/
- The American Society of Legal Advocates, 2016
- Habitat for Humanity
- Sponsor, Durham Blues & Brews Festival Benefitting The Exchange Club of Greater Durham
- Sponsor, Compass Center for Women Passion and Purple Event, 2018
- Founder, Feed the Need Gala
- Board Member, Meals on Wheels Durham
- Divorce Clinic, Self Help, 2002 – Present
- University of North Carolina School of Women and Gender Studies, Guest Lecturer
- Guest lecturer, Duke University School of Law
- Guest lecturer, UNC School of Women and Gender Studies
- Equitable Distribution Clinic, 2004 – Present
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist, NC Board of Legal Specialization
- , Super Lawyers Honoree, Thomson Reuters
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America Honoree, Best Lawyers in America
- Rated 10/10, Avvo
- NC State Bar Family Law Section Membership Committee, 2012-14
- Durham County Bar Association, 2002 – Present
- Modern Family Committee of the North Carolina Family Bar, Chair
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2008 – Present
- North Carolina
- NC State Bar Committee Chair (Modern Family), 2011
- North Carolina State University, B.A., with Honors, Political Science, 1994
- , Meet the Ellis Family Law Team, 2021
Office location for Gray Ellis
3200 Croasdaile Dr
Durham, NC 27705
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2011 - 2012