J. Scott Coalter
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Greensboro, North CarolinaCoalter Law, PLLC
Practice Areas: Criminal defense, DUI-DWI, White collar crimes; view more
Licensed in North Carolina since: 1996
Education: Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Coalter Law, PLLC910 North Elm St
Greensboro, NC 27401 Visit website
J. Scott Coalter is a criminal defense attorney certified by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization for his immense knowledge of state, federal and criminal law. Licensed to practice law in North Carolina since 1996, he primarily focuses on assisting the people in and around Guilford County, including Alamance, Davidson, Forsyth and Randolph. He currently serves his clients through his law firm, Coalter Law, PLLC, in Greensboro.
Mr. Coalter firmly believes that people from all walks of life should have access to quality legal assistance and must be given a fair chance to change their life around. He has litigated countless cases for his clients in courts throughout the state, including the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Western and Middle Districts of North Carolina, the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit and the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Graduating cum laude from The University of Texas at Austin, Mr. Coalter majored in government and received his bachelor’s degree in 1989. He enrolled in Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law and obtained his Juris Doctor with honors in the year 1996. He was a research editor at the university’s law review and has also published an article in the same.
Upon graduating from law school and receiving his bar license, Mr. Coalter served as an assistant public defender in Guilford County and later as an assistant district attorney for two years. Since then, he had the opportunity to work in multiple organizations and provide his legal service to people needing assistance in issues involving white collar crimes, DUI and much more.
Avvo recognized Mr. Coalter for his legal excellence and rated him “Superb” for the same. He currently holds the position of Master in the American Inns of Court, and he also served as the president of the Greensboro Criminal Defense Lawyers’ Association.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI, Criminal defense: white collar
Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Expungement, False accusations, Felony, Juvenile delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Overdrawn bank account, Parole, Probation, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Traffic violations, Criminal domestic violence, DUI/DWI, White collar crime
- 80% Criminal defense
- 10% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Criminal defense: white collar
First Admitted: 1996, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.greensborolawyers.com/attorney/coalter-john-scot...
- Scott is qualified for appointment to North Carolina Death Penalty cases and Federal criminal cases. He has appeared before Federal District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina, the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, the North Carolina Court of Appeals and numerous State District and Superior Courts.
- B.A., University of Texas, Honors: cum laude, Major: Government and Philosophy, 1989
- Vicarious Liability of a Physician for the Negligence of Other Medical Professionals, Campbell Law Review, Vol. 17, No.2, 1995
- Criminal Masters in Advocacy, Advocates for Justice, 2011
- Criminal Conversation: The Ultimate CLE, North Carolina Bar Association, 2011
- Recipient, Cum Laude, 1996
- Recipient, Super Lawyer
- Research Editor, , 1995 - 1996, Campbell Law Review
- State and Federal Criminal Law, North Carolina State Board of Legal Specialization, 2005
- Greensboro Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, President, 2010
- High Point Bar Association
- American Inns of Court, Master, 2005 to Present
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina , 2013
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 1997
- North Carolina, 1996
- Barrister at Guilford Inns of Court
- Criminal Justice Act Panel (MDNC)
- Greensboro Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (Past President)
- Guilford Inns Of Court
Office location for J. Scott Coalter
910 North Elm St
Greensboro, NC 27401
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023