Heather W. Forshey
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Raleigh, NC
Selected to Rising Stars: 2014 - 2020
An attorney devoted exclusively to family law, Heather W. Forshey founded Raleigh Divorce Law Firm over 10 years ago. Heather represents people and families throughout Raleigh and the surrounding areas. She has a firm understanding of family law issues, including divorce, alimony, child custody, child support, domestic violence and divorce modification. Her advocacy allowed her to be named among the Rising Stars list by North Carolina Super Lawyers for seven consecutive years, and she most recently made the Super Lawyers list.
Besides years of litigation experience, she possesses exemplary mediation skills. A certified family financial mediator through the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission, she routinely resolves disputes for her clients through alternative dispute resolution methods.
Graduating cum laude with a degree in psychology from Elon University, she obtained her law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law. In law school, she served as a member of the Wake Forest Law Review and moot court board. A finalist in the moot court oral argument competition her first year, she competed successfully in similar competitions throughout her time in law school.
She has been a licensed attorney in the state since 2006. Heather also is a certified parenting coordinator and family law specialist who regularly speaks about family law matters at continuing legal education conferences. She also serves as a volunteer guardian ad litem and performs pro bono work assisting victims of domestic violence. Heather has served as a Board Member for the Friends of Wake County Guardian ad Litem Program since 2019 and is currently serving as President.
Long active in a wide variety of legal organizations, Heather serves as a member of the Wake County Bar Association and North Carolina Bar Association. Additionally, she belongs to the family law section of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice. She previously served on the section’s executive board.
- 100%Family Law
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2020
Certificates and Credentials
- North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization
About Heather W. Forshey
First Admitted: 2006, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.raleighdivorcelawfirm.com/attorney/heather-w-for...
- North Carolina, 2006
- North Carolina Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member, 2006 - Present
- Wake County Bar Association, Member, 2006 - Present
- Family Law Section of NC Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member, 2006 - Present
- Wake Women Attorneys, 2018 - Present
- Handling the Divorce Case From Start to Finish, February 2020
- As Judges See It: Top Mistakes Attorneys Make in Family Court, December 2019
- Family Law From A to Z: Successfully Resolve Your Clients' Family Law Issues, February 2019
- Moderator for the National Business Institute’s “What Family Court Judges Want You to Know” Seminar, December 2018
- Family Law Conference: What Do You Do When?, Speaker on “When Child and Spousal Support Calculations Get Complicated” and “When Parental and Third-Party Rights are Disputed”, National Business Institute, December 2016
- Program Chair of the First Annual Family Law Specialization Review CLE, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, September 2015
- The Trend Towards 50/50 Custody Arrangements, Attorney at Law Magazine, 2014
- Practicing Family Law in the Triangle: What You Need to Know Now, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, September 2014
- Preparation and Use of Financial Affidavits, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, September 2012
- Preparing the Equitable Distribution of Inventory Affidavits and the Final Equitable Distribution Order, Half Moon Seminars - Equitable Distribution Workshop, 2009
Pro bono/Community Service
- Guardian ad Litem Appellate Advocate
- Legal Aid Volunteer for the Lawyers Program for Domestic Violence
- Secretary of Board of Directors for the Friends of Wake County Guardian ad Litem Program
- Volunteer for the Wake County In-Court Volunteer Mediation Program
- Volunteer for The Child’s Advocate Program through Wake County Legal Aid
- Host Sponsor and Committee Planning Member for the Light the Way GALA for the Friends of Wake County GAL Program, serving abused and neglected children in Wake County
- NC State Bar Board Certified Specialist in Family Law
- DRC - Certified Family Financial Mediator, Dispute Resolution Commission of NC
- Certified Parenting Coordinator
- Elon University, Burlington, North Carolina, B.A. in Psychology, cum laude - 2002, Honors: All-American Scholar, National Dean's List, 2002
Last Updated: 5/15/2022