Helen M. O'Shaughnessy
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Raleigh, NC
Selected to Rising Stars: 2009, 2011 - 2013
Helen M. O'Shaughnessy is a partner at Wake Family Law Group and serves as a family law attorney. She handles a wide range of family law cases affecting her clients in Raleigh, North Carolina. These include equitable distribution, divorce and annulment, mediation, LGBTQIA+ family law, family law appeals, third-party custody and the termination of parental rights. She even handles cases involving domestic violence.
In 1994, Ms. O'Shaughnessy received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Dickinson College. She then completed her law degree at Widener University Commonwealth Law School in Harrisburg. In 1997, she became admitted to practice in North Carolina. Since then, she has also received several certifications. For example, the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission certified her as a family financial mediator in 2006.
When tackling family law cases, Ms. O'Shaughnessy works hard to help her clients find alternatives to courtroom proceedings. She has also taken on some controversial cases and helped her clients find successful solutions. These included cases involving domestic violence and unique LGBTQIA+ considerations. Her successes have led her to several awards and recognition from her peers. For example, in 2007, the Business North Carolina magazine named her one of the “Legal Elite in North Carolina” for family law.
Ms. O'Shaughnessy is a lifelong learner who is always looking for new ways to improve her professional skills and, by extension, her ability to serve her clients. To this end, she maintains memberships at several law organizations, such as the American Bar Association Family Law Section and the Wake County Bar Association.
- 100%Family Law
Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Marital Property
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2009, 2011 - 2013
Certificates and Credentials
- North Carolina Board of Legal Specialization
About Helen M. O'Shaughnessy
First Admitted: 1997
Professional Webpage: https://wakefamilylawgroup.com/family-law-divorce-attorneys/...
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2016 and 2017
- One of the Legal Elite in North Carolina for Family Law, Business North Carolina Magazine, 2007
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars, 2009, 2011-2013
- Continuing Legal Education Chair for the Academy's Family Law Section, 2001-2002
- Member, Tenth Judicial District Bar Grievance Committee, 2012-2014
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Past Chair, Family Law section for the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, 2004-2005
- Member, Wake Collaborative Family Law Group
- Member, Wake County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Co-chair, Continuing Legal Education for the Academy's Family Law Section, 2005-2006
- North Carolina State Bar, 1997
- Secretary of the Family Law Council, North Carolina Bar Association, 2003-2004
- Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1994
- Certified Parenting Coordinator, 2006
- Family Financial Mediator, North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission, 2006
- Board Certified Family Law Specialist
Last Updated: 5/15/2022