John L. Pinnix, a distinguished immigration attorney, has dedicated his entire legal career to serving the diverse immigrant community of the United States. As a North Carolina board-certified specialist in immigration law, his commitment to this field has made him a well-recognized attorney with a career spanning several decades. He serves as a senior attorney with the Raleigh-based firm Allen & Pinnix, P.A., in North Carolina, and has licenses to practice in both North Carolina and the District of Columbia.
With an exclusive focus on immigration law since 1977, Mr. Pinnix has provided invaluable assistance to numerous businesses, both large and small, across North Carolina and the broader United States. He has successfully secured H-1B, L-1A and L-1B visas for foreign workers and guided investors through the intricate processes of E-2 and EB-5 applications before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and United States consulates worldwide. He has also been a trusted advisor to human resource directors and departments, offering guidance on immigration matters related to hiring foreign nationals, I-9 compliance and issues concerning Social Security "no-match" letters.
With a deep commitment to his practice, Mr. Pinnix has personally assisted thousands of families in navigating the complex immigration system. His services encompass helping families file applications with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for family-based green cards, employment authorization, travel permits and citizenship.
A B.A. degree graduate in history from the University of North Carolina Greensboro, Mr. Pinnix earned his Juris Doctor from the Wake Forest University School of Law in 1973. He has also secured a master’s degree in history from his alma mater.
Mr. Pinnix’s contributions to legal education include serving as an adjunct professor at the North Carolina Central University School of Law, the Elon University School of Law and as a Senior Lecturing Fellow at the Duke University School of Law. He has received numerous accolades throughout his career, including listings in The Best Lawyers in America in the Immigration Law category. Owing to his consistent and dedicated services, he has been peer-review rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell and has received a “10.0” rating on Avvo. He has also served as the national president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasImmigration: Business, Immigration: Consumer
- 60% Immigration: Business
- 40% Immigration: Consumer
First Admitted: 1973, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://immigration-naturalization-law.com/jack-pinnix-attor...
- The Best Lawyers in America in the Immigration Law category, 1993, Best Lawyers
- Rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell, AV
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2006 - Present, Super Lawyers
- Who’s Who Legal noted that Jack “once again emerges as the state’s ‘most highly nominated individual' in the corporate immigration category, 2007, Recognition
- Who’s Who Legal called Jack “outstanding” and said he “possesses a quite phenomenal legal mind”, 2006, Recognition
- North Carolina Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts, U.S. District Court
- District of Columbia Bar
- Past National President American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA). Member of AILA's Board of Governors 1993-present; With one exception attended every Board of Governors Meeting since 1993.. Since serving as President continued in a number of leadership roles including service on the Nominating, Investment, Publication, Bylaws and Finance Committees; most recently Finance and Ethics Committees (2018-2019) and Finance and Bylaws Committees (2019-2020). A founding member of the Carolinas Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, and twice served as Chapter Chair. Served as an Adjunct Professor at North Carolina Central University School of Law and Elon University School of Law and as a Senior Lecturing Fellow at Duke University School of Law. Author of foreword and commentary for “The Impact of Immigration on the Legal Community in North Carolina,” Campbell Law Review, 2007. N.C. Board Certified Immigration Specialist and a former member of the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization’s Immigration Law Specialty Committee. Member of the Founding Board of the American Immigration Council (AIC) and a former Director and Trustee Emeritus. AIC promotes public understanding of immigration law and policy through education, policy analysis, and support to litigators. Published scores of articles on immigration. He is a frequent lecturer at law schools, continuing legal education courses (in California, New York, North Carolina, and Texas), and before professional, civic, and ethnic organizations. Speaker, moderator, or panelist at 23 AILA Annual Conference since 1993; served as an Editor of the Annual Conference Handbook for over 20 years. Chaired the North Carolina Bar Association Immigration and Nationality Law Committee. Honors Recipient of the University of North Carolina-Greensboro Alumni Association’s Distinguished Service Award. Named “Tar Heel of the Week” by the Raleigh News and Observer. The second recipient of the AILA Service Excellence Award. Editor in chief of “Ethics in a Brave New World—Professional Responsibility, Personal Accountability, and Risk Management for Immigration Practitioners,” the most widely distributed book in AILA’s 63-year history.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro, M.A.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro, B.A.
Office location for John L. Pinnix
1101 Oberlin Rd
Raleigh, NC 27605
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2024
Certificates and credentials