Joel C. Harbinson
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Taylorsville, NC
Attorney Joel C. Harbinson is a senior partner with Harbinson & Brzykcy, Attorneys at Law, which is located in Taylorsville, North Carolina. Nationally recognized as one of the top trial attorneys in the country, Mr. Harbinson has more than 42 years of total legal experience, and he provides unmatched counsel and support to clients throughout Alexander County and the surrounding areas who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Criminal defense for all types of felonies and misdemeanors
· DUI and traffic violation defense
· Domestic law, divorce, child custody and support
· Personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from automobile accidents, medical malpractice and other preventable tragedies
· Workers' compensation and Social Security Disability
Regarded as among the best criminal defense attorneys in his area, Mr. Harbinson has successfully defended the rights and liberties of numerous people of color who stand accused of sexual offenses. From his success defending the indigent minorities in his community, he accepted an invitation to serve as chair of a 2017 seminar sponsored by the North Carolina Advocates for Justice entitled, "Becoming Atticus Finch – Representing the Wrongfully Accused in Sexual Assault Cases."
Equally effective in his other practice areas, Mr. Harbinson has guided many clients throughout the complex and emotional divorce process with the utmost respect and dignity, and he has helped countless individuals and families in his region obtain the full amount of compensation they deserve following a debilitating injury or devastating loss.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism, high ethical standards and superior client service, Mr. Harbinson has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with designation from North Carolina Lawyers Weekly as one of the state's "Leaders in the Law." Moreover, he has received the Citizen Lawyer Award from the North Carolina Bar Association, and he received an invitation from North Carolina's Governor to join the Order of the Long Leaf Pine.
A native of Hickory, Mr. Harbinson received his undergraduate degree as a Broyhill Industries Scholar from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1977. He then returned to his alma mater and obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law in 1979.
Along with maintaining a successful legal practice, Mr. Harbinson also supports his local community through his involvement with various civic, educational and charitable organizations throughout his area, including his service as elected member of the Board of County Commissioners of Alexander County.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 40%Criminal Defense
- 20%Family Law
- 10%Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10%Social Security Disability
Traffic Violations, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, DUI/DWI, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Medical Malpractice
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
About Joel C. Harbinson
First Admitted: 1979, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: http://www.alexanderlawyers.com/attorney-joel-harbinson.shtm...
Pro bono/Community Service
- Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Alexander Community Hospital (1993‑1997)
- Governor's Advocacy Council for Persons with Disabilities (1997‑1999)
- Past member of the Morehead Scholarship Selection Committee (1979‑2002)
- Board of Directors of the N.C. Autism Society (1992‑1996)
- Life Member of the UNC General Alumni Association
- UNC School of Law Alumni Association
- UNC Educational Foundation, Inc., Current member
- Co‑founder and board member of the Bob Gryder Scholarship Foundation, Inc.
- Alexander County Democratic Party, Former Chairman
- Deacon and an Elder in the Taylorsville Presbyterian Church
- Alexander County School Board Attorney
- Alexander County Board of Elections, Former member
- Alexander Central High School, 1972
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as a Broyhill Industries Scholar, A.B. degree, 1977
- Office of Board of County Commissioners of Alexander County, Elected, Chairman (1998‑1999), (2001‑2002), and Vice‑Chairman (2000‑2001), 1998
- Alexander County Board of Commissioners, Re-elected, 2002
- Executive Board of the Western Piedmont Council of Governments
- Federal courts of the Western District of North Carolina, 1982
- N.C. Advocates for Justice, Current member
- 22nd Judicial District Bar Association, Former President
- N.C. Bar Association, Current member
- North Carolina, 1979
- North Carolina Bar Association, in conjunction with the Citizen Lawyer Committee, as one of the 2019 recipients of the Citizen Lawyer Award, 2019
- D.A.D. (Distinguished Alexander Democrat) award, Alexander County Democratic Party, 2017
- Thomson Reuters as a "Super Lawyer" in the area of Criminal Defense, One of the Top 100 lawyers in the State of North Carolina, 2021
- Honored by N.C. Governor Roy Cooper with initiation into the Society of "The Order of The Long Leaf Pine", 2019
- "AV Preeminent" rating from Martindale‑Hubbell every year since 2000
- NC Lawyers Weekly as one of its 2018 North Carolina "Leaders in the Law", 2018
Last Updated: 8/6/2022