Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Winston-Salem, NC
Selected to Rising Stars: 2009
Attorney John Chilson has been exclusively representing individuals and families who have suffered severe injuries and losses caused by someone else's negligence or wrongdoing for the past 16 years. A trial attorney with more than 20 years of legal experience on both sides of the aisle, Mr. Chilson provides tenacious, empathetic advocacy and support to clients everywhere in the State of North Carolina in all types of personal injury and wrongful death claims, including truck and auto accidents, unsafe property conditions and product liability claims. As a retired Naval Officer with 20 years of service on both active duty and and in the Navy Reserve JAG Corps, he also possesses considerable criminal law, administrative law, and appellate advocacy experience.
From his efforts, Mr. Chilson has achieved significant success securing favorable outcomes for his clients both inside and outside of the courtroom, recovering substantial settlements and verdicts for his plaintiff clients. In recognition of his outstanding professionalism and superior client service, he has also earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell and consistent recognition in The Best Lawyers in America in the category of Personal Injury Litigation. He is currently recognized as Best Lawyers' 2021 Personal Injury "Lawyer of the Year" in North Carolina's Piedmont Triad region.
A 1991 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy with a degree in economics, Mr. Chilson obtained his Juris Doctor cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School in 1999. Licensed to practice in North Carolina, he is also admitted to practice before all U.S. District Courts in North Carolina as well as the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 4th and Federal Circuits, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
Along with maintaining a successful legal practice, Mr. Chilson is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, the American Association for Justice, the Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys, the American Inns of Court, the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, and the North Carolina State Bar Association, and he has published articles and conducted lectures at seminars across his region on a variety of legal topics.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
**Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. https://www.bestlawyers.com/methodology
- 20%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 60%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 20%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Motor Vehicle Defects, Pharmaceutical
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2009
About John Chilson
First Admitted: 1999, North Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.comerfordtriallawyers.com/attorney/john-a-chilso...
- North Carolina, 2003
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Present
- Academy of Truck Accident Attorneys, Present
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2014
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, 2014
- American Inns of Court, Present
- American Association for Justice, Present
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Present
- Member of Board of Governors, NCAJ, 2014-2019
- North Carolina Bar Association, Present
- Keeping Clean Waters Clean: Making the Clean Water Act's Antidegradation Policy Work, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, Vol. 32, 1999
- United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, B.S., Major: Economics, 1991
- , Personal Injury "Lawyer of the Year" - NC Triad Region, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyer
- Marquis Who's Who in America
- AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America
Last Updated: 5/15/2022