David H. Lefton
Top rated estate planning & probate attorney in Cincinnati, OhioBarron Peck Bennie Schlemmer
David H. Lefton knows how important the details are in estate planning matters. As a partner with Barron Peck Bennie & Schlemmer, Co. LPA, he meticulously goes through every case he handles to cover each possible risk, outcome, and benefit. He has more than 35 years of experience, which Mr. Lefton puts to good use when serving people in Cincinnati, Ohio, and the surrounding areas.
Each case is unique in terms of the factors that shape how an estate plan is developed. Over time, Mr. Lefton has built the skills to effectively address issues, such as estate planning and taxes, probate and trust administration, prenuptial agreements, asset protection, business planning, and business law matters. He works closely with clients to establish their goals, whether those involve leaving a legacy for their heirs or protecting their own financial future.
Mr. Lefton’s success is rooted in his education and experience. He earned a Bachelor of Science from Bradley University before receiving a Juris Doctor from the University of Dayton Law School in 1987.
Today, he continues learning through participation in professional groups such as the Ohio State Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Foundation, the Cincinnati Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. David is President of the Ohio State Bar Association and will serve as President from July 1, 2021. David is also a former District 1 Board of Governor Representative of the Ohio State Bar Association and was the National Chair of the American Bar Association Solo Small Firm and General Practice Divison in 2016/17.
As a testament to Mr. Lefton’s consistently outstanding work, in addition, to having been named a SuperLawyer in the area of estate planning, he holds the highest peer review rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell, and he has an Avvo “Superb” rating. Furthermore, as noted above, his peers have elected him as President of the Ohio State Bar Association.
Mr. Lefton is committed to serving the community. He has received the American Bar Association’s Service to Others award and has been involved with groups such as Cincinnati Arts and the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Cincinnati. He also shares his knowledge with others, frequently serving as a guest speaker and publishing monthly columns in Hyde Park Living magazine.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEstate planning & probate, Business/corporate, Real estate: business
Estate planning, Living wills, Power of attorney, Probate & estate administration, Trusts, Wills, Business formation and planning, Limited liability companies, Partnership, Sub-chapter s corporations, Contracts, Business organizations
- 70% Estate planning & probate
- 20% Business/corporate
- 10% Real estate: business
First Admitted: 1987, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://bpbslaw.com/attorneys/david-h-lefton/
- This quiz is a short list of questions to ask yourself in considering whether you need to attend to your estate planning. The quiz contains common questions that apply to most everyone. Even if you are satisfied with your answers to this quiz, if you are left with any doubts or questions that apply to your circumstances, not addressed in this quiz, I recommend you contact an estate planning attorney., Estate Planning Wellness Quiz
- The loss of a spouse or other loved one is one of the most difficult events in life that any of us have to deal with. Losing a spouse or other loved one creates an emptiness which can be almost paralyzing. Yet it is inevitable that we all have to deal with death of a loved one during our lifetimes. It goes without saying, that all of us are different and we acquire different amounts and types of assets during our lifetime. Accordingly, the list below is meant to cover some common things to do, or not to do, to get you started. The items are not listed in order of importance, but these are all things you should consider., What to do Upon Death of a Loved One
- Board of Trustees, Crest Hills Country Club (1994-1995)
- Greater Sycamore Soccer Association (2004 to 2011) President, 2009 to 2011
- Cincinnati Arts Association Board of Trustees (2011 to 2017).
- Member, Development Committee for the Ronald McDonald House of Cincinnati (2014-2016)
- Co-chair, FreeStore FoodBank Chair Planned Giving Council (2011 to 2012)
- Ohio State Bar Foundation
- Bradley University, B.S., 1984
- State of Ohio Bar Admissions, 1987
- Ohio State Bar Association Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates
- Director, Division 2 ABA Solo, Small Firm & General Practice Division
- Chair, OSBA Economics of Law Survey
- Chair, American Bar Association - General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Section, 2016 to 2017.
- Ohio State Bar Association - Trust, Probate and Estate Planning Council District One Representative Funeral; Burial Instructions Committee Member, 2001 - 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Council Chair, Chair of Programming for the Annual Meeting, and Chair of the Solo and Small Firm Technology Conference, Ohio State Bar Association
- District 1 Representative to Ohio State Bar Association Board of Govenor. Elected to 3 year term commencing in 2017 at District 1 Annual meeting in March 2017. The 24-member Board of Governors meets throughout the year to manage the OSBA’s business affairs, set policy, review pending legislation and conduct other business on behalf of OSBA members., 2017
- Chair, Ohio State Bar Association (1999 to present) Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Council
- Chair, American Bar Association - Commission on Continuing Legal Education, 2007-2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Member, OSBA Judicial Election Campaign Judicial Advertising Monitoring Committee
- American Bar Association - Standing Committee on Group and Prepaid Legal Services (API), 2011 - present
- President, Ohio State Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court
- For Economics of Law Practice in Ohio, American Bar Association Bar Project of the Year, 2004
- Annual Award given to one member from around the country in recognition of exceptional service and leadership to the Division, GP/Solo Division Chairs Award, American Bar Association, 2007
- Ohio Super Lawyer
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell Directory
- Annual Award given to member of the Division in recognition for outstanding service to others, both in the bar association and community, GP/Solo Division Service to Others Award, American Bar Association, 2010
- Cincinnati, Ohio Estate Planning Attorney David Lefton tells you about Ohio's intestacy law and why you need an estate plan to keep the state from choosing how your estate is distributed., What You Need To Know About Estate Planning, 2015
- Attorney David H. Lefton is a partner in the law firm of Barron Peck Bennie & Schlemmer, a law firm serving greater Cincinnati, Ohio and Southwest Ohio. For more than 25 years, David has helped his clients protect their financial futures, provide for their heirs, handle business concerns and resolve other legal problems. Combining personalized service and insightful advice, he has been named an Ohio Super Lawyer in the area of Estate Planning and has earned the highest ethical standards and professional ability rating that is given to lawyers by the respected Martindale-Hubbell Directory. David also is a leader in activities of both the Ohio State Bar Association and American Bar Association, and is involved in a variety of community service activities., David H. Lefton, Attorney at Law, 2015
- Cincinnati, Ohio Probate Attorney David Lefton on Probate and Estate Administration., Probate and Estate Administration, 2015
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Foundation and Cincinnati Bar Association
Office location for David H. Lefton
3074 Madison Road
Cincinnati, OH 45209
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023