Hal R. Arenstein
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Cincinnati, OH
Hal R. Arenstein is an attorney at Arenstein & Gallagher, where he focuses his practice exclusively on criminal defense matters. Based in Cincinnati, he is admitted to practice before all Ohio state courts as well as before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. In addition, Mr. Arenstein has appeared pro hac vice in several other state and federal courts across the country, enabling him to defend clients in those jurisdictions as well as in Ohio.
Mr. Arenstein provides advocacy for people who have been charged with the commission of state or federal misdemeanors and felonies. The types of cases that he has handled have included fraud and other white collar crimes, drug possession and trafficking, and sex crimes, and he has been able to obtain positive results for his clients, whether through acquittals after jury trials or by negotiating favorable plea agreements with the prosecutor. His colleagues have taken note of both his successful track record and high degree of ethics, and they have awarded him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Avvo.
Mr. Arenstein is frequently asked to deliver presentations on various criminal defense topics, including cross-examining forensic witnesses, Miranda warnings and federal sentencing guidelines. An active participant in several legal organizations, he has served as a member of the board of directors of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers™, and he is a past president of the Greater Cincinnati Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. After receiving a Bachelor of Arts with honors in 1976 from Denison University, Mr. Arenstein attended the Case Western Reserve University School of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1979.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Articles about Hal R. Arenstein appearing in Super Lawyers
About Hal R. Arenstein
First Admitted: 1979, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.arensteinlaw.com/About/Hal-R-Arenstein.shtml
- Omega Delta Kappa fraternity
- I received the Jim Looker award presented by the Greater Cincinnati Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association for excellent representation of the criminally accused. I was recogized for my work as the two-time President of that same organization.
- Outstanding Service Award, United States District Court Southern District of Ohio
- National Association of Criminal Defense lawyers (NACDL), Co-Chair, Legislative Committee
- National Association of Criminal Defense lawyers (NACDL), Co-Chair, Membership Committee
- National Association of Criminal Defense lawyers, Board of Directors
- Greater Cincinnati Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Past President
- I am licensed in the State of Ohio, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. I have practiced in Federal Court in Michigan, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois.
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1979
- Forensic, University of Cincinnati Law School, 2003 - 2006
- Criminal Trial Practice, University of Cincinnati Law School, 2006
- I was an adjunct professor at the University of Cincinnati Law School. I taught forensics and criminal trial practice. For the last three years I have acted as adjunct faculty at Tulane Law School in the January for their one week boot camp in criminal practice. , Adjunct Professor, 2005
- Preparing to Cross Examine on Forensic Issues Pertaining to the Crime Scene
- New Developments in the Federal Sentencing Guidelines
- Evidentiary Issues in Drug Prosecutions
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorders and The Battered Spouse
- Preparing for the Snitch
- Miranda and The Pre-Trial Statement
- Discovery Issues in Complex Criminal Litigation
- Defending Individuals Charged wit Sexually Abusing Children
- A Guide for Law Enforcement, Writing panel member
- Crime Scene Investigation, National Institute of Justice, January, 2000
- Denison University, Granville, Ohio, B.A. in History and Political Science, With Honors
- I have represented professional athletes in a variety of cases. I have also acted as counsel in various white collar matters. I have been involved in at least (30) homicides as defense counsel in my 38 years of practice. Over the last several years I have represented a number of physicians who have found themselves in trouble. Lastly, I have represented citizens accused of a number of different criminal offenses.
- Professional NFL and NBA Athletes
- Planned Parenthood of Southern Ohio
Pro bono/Community Service
- I represented a death row inmate in Alabama pro bono when the Death Penalty Centers were closed down in the mid 90s. I handled all of the state postconviction matters including an evidentiary hearing in Talledega, Alabama and the direct appeal to the Alabama Supreme Court. , 1994
- In Clermont County I obtained a not guilty on a serious home invasion charge. , 2018
Last Updated: 5/15/2022