Top rated Appellate attorney in Cleveland, OhioCalfee, Halter & Griswold LLP
Practice Areas: Appellate
Licensed in Ohio since: 2018
Aaren Host is an Associate with Calfee’s Litigation practice, where she helps navigate complex insurance coverage claims and business disputes including contract, business tort, and commercial claims.
Aaren has experience representing and defending insurance companies in a wide range of coverage issues in state and federal courts. She has handled appeals from both state and federal court judgments at each level, including all technical briefings, oral arguments, en banc reconsiderations, and discretionary appeals to the Ohio Supreme Court. Additionally, Aaren has defended various employment discrimination and professional liability lawsuits.
Aaren also has handled and assisted in all levels of civil litigation, including initial suit analyses, litigation strategy development, settlement recommendations, written discovery, fact and expert depositions, discovery motions, dispositive motions, and trial preparations.
She earned her Juris Doctorate degree from Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law where she was an award-winning member of the Moot Court Team and was the recipient of the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Constitutional Law. While at Cleveland-Marshall, Aaren worked as a judicial extern to the Honorable Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor, learning and observing the Ohio Supreme Court’s discretionary review process firsthand. Aaren earned her B.S. degree in Journalism from Ohio University in 2015. There, she worked on several Ohio University publications, including Thread Magazine and The Post.
Prior to joining Calfee in 2021, Aaren was a litigator in the Cleveland office of a large, regional law firm.
First Admitted: 2018, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.calfee.com/professionals-aaren-r-host
- J.D., Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 2018, 2018
- B.S., cum laude, Journalism, Minor in History, Ohio University, 2015
- What conduct amounts to “deliberate indifference” sufficient to support a Title IX claim was recently addressed by the Sixth Circuit in Foster v. University of Michigan, 6th Cir. No. 19-1314 (Dec. 11, 2020). Sitting en banc, the court did not offer litigants any bright line rules but clarified that simply demonstrating that harassment continued after a university’s initial response or offering facts showing that the university’s response was ineffective is not sufficient to overcome summary judgment. , Co-Author, The Sixth Circuit Holds the Line – Title IX’s Deliberate Indifference Standard, Reminger Co. LPA, Education Law Liability, 2020
- An Ohio appellate court recently found limited-contract teachers employed by a municipal school district are not entitled to a full evidentiary hearing under R.C. 3311.81., Author, Not All Teacher Contracts Are Equal: Municipal School Districts’ Boards of Education Granted More Autonomy Than Their Non-Municipal Counterparts, Reminger Co. LPA, Education Law Liability, 2019
- Sep 17, 2020, Judgment Reversed and Remanded 8th Appellate Dist Appealed trial court judgment dismissing school board’s claim regarding sharing of tax revenue., 2020
- Nov 23, 2020, Judgment Affirmed 11th Appellate Dist Plaintiff appealed trial court’s dismissal of plaintiff’s negligence claim against client, determining that plaintiff could not bring a stand alone negligence claim against a liquor-permit holder., 2020
- Oct 28, 2020, Motion for Judgment on Pleadings Granted Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas Granting of Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings and dismissing Plaintiff’s legal malpractice claim on the basis that the attorney-defendant owed no duty to Plaintiff to object to a sentence arising out of a probation violation when Plaintiff committed non-technical violations of her parole., 2020
- Ohio State Bar Association Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, 2021
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Moot Court Team, Coach, 2022
- Autism Speaks U, Recruitment Chair, 2022
- Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association, Trustee, 2022
- Ohio State Bar Association Litigation Committee, Learning Liaison, 2021
- Ohio State Bar Association Litigation Committee, Secretary, 2022
- , Appellate Practice and Insurance Law, Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, 2023
- , Ohio Super Lawyers, Ohio Rising Stars, 2022
- Rising Stars: 2021 - 2024