Eric Johnson brings more than 20 years of experience to the fields of labor and employment and education law, and he is consistently recognized for his work by The Best Lawyers in America©.
As chair of the Walter | Haverfield Labor and Employment Law Group, Eric represents private and public sector clients in a wide range of employment-related matters. He defends employers against discrimination, harassment and wrongful discharge allegations, FMLA and FLSA claims, non-compete issues, and various tort actions. Eric regularly counsels clients on general compliance and risk management strategy and provides training in almost every area of employment law.
Eric also founded the firm’s Education Law Group in 2006 and continues to guide its impressive growth. U.S. News-Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” continually ranks the group in its top regional tier, and Walter | Haverfield’s education law attorneys are consistently recognized as leading education lawyers in Ohio and nationwide.
Within the field of education law, Eric represents boards of education throughout Ohio in all facets of school law, providing general counsel to public school districts across the state. Eric has achieved precedent-setting decisions related to unilateral implementation of contract terms and the supremacy of the teacher evaluation system over collective bargaining rights.
Eric also has substantial labor law experience. He represents public and private sector employers at the bargaining table as the lead negotiator with a variety of labor organizations. Furthermore, he counsels employers on bargaining issues from behind the scenes. Eric has successfully represented clients’ interests in the arbitration of claims brought by employees and unions and has prosecuted and defended unfair labor practice charges with SERB and the NLRB.
First Admitted: 2000, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.walterhav.com/professional/eric-j-johnson/
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 2000; Denison University, B.A., 1997, summa cum laude
- Member, Board of Directors, Hershey Montessori School; active in Cystic Fibrosis Foundation; 2004, awarded the "Idealism in Action" Award by City Year, in recognition of his community service efforts in the Greater Cleveland area
- Fellow, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association; Member, Cleveland Employment Law Inns of Court; Member, Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys; Member, National Council of School Attorneys
- Eric is licensed to practice in all Ohio courts, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- 2009 - Named to Crain's Cleveland Business' "Forty under 40" list, in recognition of his active participation in the local business community and his leadership role in helping to revitalize the region's economy.
- 2009 - Featured in special section of Inside Business magazine, titled "High Bars," which highlighted 15 of Northeast Ohio's leading young lawyers.
- Rising Stars: 2007, 2009, 2011 - 2015