Jason Sullivan is a founding Member-Partner of Rathbone Group.
He graduated from the Lee Honors College at Western Michigan University in 2003 with a Bachelor in Arts. In 2006 he received his J.D. with Distinction from the University of Iowa College of Law. He is admitted to the following state bars: Ohio (2006), Indiana (2007), Hawaii (2018), West Virginia (2018), Florida (2019), Alabama (2019), Minnesota (2019), North Carolina (2019), Massachusetts (2019), Maine (2019), Wyoming (2019), South Carolina (2019), Kansas (2021), Utah (2021), Arkansas (2021), Colorado (2021), Montana (2021), Nebraska (2021), New Hampshire (2021), Oregon, (2021), Washington (2021), Alaska (2021), Arizona (2021), Connecticut (2022), Illinois (2022), Idaho (2022), and Missouri (2022).
He is also licensed in the U.S. Federal District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio, the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, the District of Hawaii, and the Southern District of West Virginia, along with the United State Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
He has spent his entire legal career handling subrogation claims. Jason has spoken on a number of topics at the National Association of Subrogation Professional’s Annual Conference, Webinar Sessions, and the Ohio Chapter Meetings. He has also been published in the NASP Subrogator magazine multiple times on topics related to subrogation and recovery claims. He also hosts On Subrogation, a YouTube channel focusing on subrogation and related legal issues.
First Admitted: 2006, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.rathbonegroup.com/our-people/jason-sullivan/
- This episode of On Subrogation focuses on filing claims against the federal government. The video discusses the requirements of filing Standard Form 95 and the information that needs to be provided to the government agency. It also discusses what action must be taken if the government rejects the claim, including the rolling deadlines that might exist to file suit in federal court., Federal Tort Claims Act, Insurance, Subrogation, 2018
- This video explains how insurance subrogation claims against livestock owners (horses, cows, donkeys, sheep, etc.) can be pursued for loss caused by an owner's failure to confine their livestock. The videos discusses the difference between open and closed range states. It addresses the creation of stock laws by various counties in Texas and the use of herd districts in western United States. The video also explains what a closed range state is and the duties imposed on livestock owners in those states. For closed range states, there is an emphasis on the theories of recovery, with a focus on negligence and the evidence that could be useful in proving that case., Livestock Liability in Open and Closed Range States, Insurance, Subrogation, 2018
- This episode of On Subrogation discusses the Graves Amendment and the immunity it grants to rental car and leasing companies from liability under state or local law. It covers the situations where the Graves Amendment applies and then look in depth at common scenarios that are not covered by the law such as negligent entrustment, negligent maintenance, and direct negligence on the part of an employee or the company itself. This segment also discusses the fact that state financial responsibility laws may still be applied to rental car and leasing companies but that does not usually create a cause of action for damages caused by a rental vehicle., Graves Amendment, Insurance, Subrogation, 2018
- This episode of On Subrogation focuses on filing claims against state and local governments. The video discusses sovereign immunity and common scenarios in which it is waived. It addresses specific notice requirements including information that must be provided to the entity, where the notice is sent, and the multiple deadlines that may apply., Filing Claims Against State and Local Government, Insurance, Subrogation, 2018
- This episode of On Subrogation focuses on claims where an insurance carrier is being liquidated. The video discusses various things to look for outside of the liquidation. It also addresses requirements to file a proof of claim., Subrogation Against Carriers in Liquidation, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation focuses on claims where a tree has fallen. The video discusses the various requirements for notice that a landowner needs to be held liable for damage the tree causes. It also addresses defenses to fallen tree claims., Timber! Fallen Tree Subrogation Claims, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation focuses on the Common Fund Doctrine. It provides an explanation of scenarios where the common fund doctrine may be applied. The video considers whether a state has adopted the doctrine as a basis for a subrogated insurance carrier to share in the costs. The video also explains situations when the doctrine will not apply as well as how the reduction should be calculated., Common Fund Doctrine, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation focuses on Medpay and PIP benefits. It provides an explanation of what each type covers. It explains the differences between medical payment benefits and personal injury protection as well as providing practical tips as to when a subrogation recovery may be possible., Medpay and PIP, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation addresses the concept of obtaining a contribution from another insurance carrier after a claim is already paid. It explores scenarios when contribution from another carrier can be completed. This can include concurrent or dual coverage, or primary, secondary or excess policy issues. Jason walks through what to look for in policy language, as well as what state laws might say when policies don't cancel each other out or when pro-rata situations arise., Contribution Between Carriers, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation focuses on the Made Whole Doctrine. It discusses how the made whole doctrine affects a medpay or PIP subrogation claim. The video addresses the variety of ways in which the made whole doctrine is interpreted. It provides specific examples of how to calculate whether an injured person is made whole as well as practical tips in negotiating the resolution of a lien in the face of a made whole argument., Made Whole Doctrine, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation advises what to do when another carrier claims there is no right of subrogation because your insured has not presented a bodily injury claim. It walks through three different scenarios regarding med pay and PIP recovery and the best course of action under each scenario., Subro Rights Even If No Bodily Injury Claim, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation examines the difference between the comparative and contributory fault systems. It provides guidance on when recovery is more or less likely and what is required to recover under each of the fault based systems., Comparative vs Contributory Fault, 2019
- This episode of On Subrogation addresses the concept of obtaining a contribution from another tortfeasor after a claim is already paid when your insured is at fault. It explores scenarios when this can be completed and walks through caveats to keep in mind when pursuing these claims from other tortfeasors or their insurers., Contribution Between Tortfeasors, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- On this episode of On Subrogation, Jason Sullivan is live at the NASP conference with Mike Jacob of Veritas Engineering. They discuss some of the best practices of a scene investigation with a subrogation perspective in mind and explore how to take pictures and use a gauge., Subro Live! Best Practices for a Scene Investigation, Insurance, Subrogation, 2019
- Business Insurance’s Break Out Awards program honors 40 top professionals on track to be the next leaders in the risk management and property/casualty insurance field. Break Out winners from across the United States are recognized for their leadership and professional skills and can be working in any area of the industry — risk managers, brokers, insurers, reinsurers, MGAs, MGUs, wholesalers, captive managers, TPAs, lawyers and other providers serving the commercial insurance sector., Break Out Award, Business Insurance, 2020
- Rising Stars: 2020