John W. Waldeck, Jr.
Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in Cleveland, OH
Jack has over 40 years of experience in handling real estate and real estate- related transactions for owner/developers, corporations, lending institutions, health care providers, non-profit institutions and individuals. He has served as counsel in various capacities for an extensive cross-section of client projects including office and medical buildings and campuses, warehouses, condominiums and planned unit developments, marinas, hospital buildings, apartment buildings and warehouse/office-to-apartment conversions, affordable low income housing, residential subdivisions, industrial parks, live performance theaters, hotels and motor inns, and shopping centers. He has acted as counsel to local and national lenders in negotiating and documenting construction and permanent loans, and has negotiated leases of all types (shopping center, office industrial) for both landlords and tenants, including ground leases, build-to-suit and complex construction/work letter situations.
Jack’s construction and development related experience includes lump-sum, guaranteed maximum price, design build and construction management agreements, zoning and land use planning, and mechanics’ lien matters. The formation of business entities dealing with real estate, such as limited liability companies, joint ventures and limited partnerships, is one of Jack’s specialties, including requisite documentation and planning for Historic Tax Credit and New Markets Tax Credit transactions. He has handled acquisitions, like-kind exchanges, sales and options for a wide variety of real estate including vacant land, conservation easements and flyways, properties affected by littoral and riparian rights, air rights and improved properties of all sorts.
Jack is a frequent lecturer and writer on real estate topics for the Ohio State and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations and other legal education organizations. He is listed in Who’s Who in American Law. He is a 1992 Leadership Cleveland graduate and has served on the boards of numerous community organizations.
Certificates and Credentials
- Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist
Real Property - Commercial Law
About John W. Waldeck, Jr.
First Admitted: 1977, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.walterhav.com/professional/john-w-waldeck-jr/
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association Real Property Council, and Secretary, 2013-2015; Vice-Chair, 2015-2017; Chair, 2017-2019; Member and Past Chair, Ohio State Bar Association Real Property Specialty Certification Committee.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Recipient, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Bob Rosewater Memorial Award, for expertise and service in the practice of Real Property Law
Pro bono/Community Service
- Former Member and Chair, Geauga County Mental Health and Recovery Services Board
- Member and Chair (2017-2019), Board of Directors, The Music Settlement, Cleveland, Ohio
- Member and Vice Chair (2019- ), Board of Directors, University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center, Chardon, Ohio
- Former Member and Chair, Bainbridge Township, Ohio Board of Zoning Appeals
- Certified Specialist in Business, Commercial and Industrial Real Property Law (Ohio State Bar Association)
- B.S. John Carroll University, University Heights, Ohio, 1973
- J.D., Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University (summa cum laude), 1977
- Ohio State Bar Association 16th Annual Real Property Institute: Foreclosure Fallout-Current Developments, Panelist, 2008
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Annual Real Estate Law Institute-Current Developments and Legislation 2002-2019, Panelist
- Ohio State Bar Association, Summer Current Developments Update (July, 2014)
- Ohio State Bar Association Convention, Real Property CLE Chair (May, 2013).
- Best Lawyers in America-Real Estate Law, Lawyer of the Year-Real Estate Law, 2018
- Who's Who in American Law
- Real Estate Development And Financing; Urban Redevelopment And Rehabilitation; Tax Credits
Last Updated: 8/11/2022